Saturday 17 June 2023

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And once again, we've reached the point in the year when this tag makes the rounds again! 

I do this tag every year, and now it's time for the 2023 version. 

I hope you enjoy it. 


~The best book you've read so far in 2023~

Surprisingly, I'm going to say Grown Ups, by Marian Keyes. I love the multiple sub plots, I love the fleshed out characters, I just love the way the story unfolds. I really need to get to more of Marian Keyes' books, because I'm sure they're all going to just as amazing. 

~Best sequel you've read so far in 2023~ 

Same as last year, I'm going for the last book in a series, which of course, still counts as a sequal. Act Your Age, Eve Brown by Talia Hibbert. By far my favourite of the three (though of course I loved the other two as well). I loved Eve, how apparent her naivety and immaturity was at the beginning, and how she grew to become a capable woman. I love her relationship with Jacob, their banter, and of course, the Brown sisters showing up every now and then. Just a wonderful book and a great way to finish the series. 

~New release you haven't read yet, but want to~

This is Emily Henry's most recently released book, and it'll be on my TBR for either July or August because I keep hearing such fantastic reviews and I'm eager to get to it. 

It tells the story of a group of friends, with which are couples, that holiday in a cottage every year. Two of these people, Harriet and Wyn, have a problem- they've been broken up for six months- and haven't told their friends. The cottage is closing after this trip, so Harriet and Wyn decide to pose as a couple just one more time- in front of the people that know them best- what could possible go wrong? 

I've fallen in love with Emily Henry's writing with each new book, and I'm really hoping I'll love this one just as much. 

~Most anticipated release for the second half of the year~

Same as last year (oops, my bad) I haven't done much research on releases for the next half of the year (rest assured, that post will be up next), but the first one I found when I searched is for sure a very much anticipated release. Karen M. McManus is one of my auto-buy authors and I am much excited for this at the end of July. It's the third and final book in the One of Us Is Lying trilogy, with the first book being a very Breakfast Club style murder, and although I'll have to give the first two books a re-read just to catch up, I'm eager to find out how this it all wraps up. 

~Biggest disappointment~

This was a tough one, I've really enjoyed all of the books that I've picked up over the first half of the year. If I had to pick one, I'd say I've definitely struggled with the language for The Strange Case of Dr. Jerkyll and Mr Hyde, but thankfully I had the audiobook to hand, so that made it easier to understand. 

~Biggest surprise~

Honestly, I wasn't expecting to love Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin, as much as I did. I knew it was about a partnership between Sadie and Sam, making videogames together, but I wasn't expecting the emotional rollercoaster it sent me on. I grew to care so much about these characters, and then to have to read about them going through both personal and professional problems was heartbreaking. Gabrielle Zevin is one heck of a writer and I can't wait to see what she does next. 

~Favourite new author (new to you)~

Delia Owens, author of Where the Crawdads Sing (link to the review is in the title if you want more details). Honestly, this book speaks for itself. Absolutely gorgeous, descriptive writing, such a compelling story that transports you to a completely different time and place. Absolutely phenomenal book that 100% deserves the hype it receives. 

~Newest fictional crush~

I never have one of these for this tag. Today is no exception. 


~Newest favourite character~

Really can't pick one for this. Will have to make a list: 

1. Marx- Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Gabielle Zevin

2. Nell- Grown Ups, by Marian Keyes

3. Kya- Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens 

4. Was nice to read about Reagan again- Shattered Showers, originally Fangirl. 


~Book that made you cry~

There were a couple of books that made me emotional, but none that made me shed tears. 

For Long Way Down, by Jason Reynolds, I became emotional at the monotonicity of Will's upbringing, and the society that he, his brother, his family and his neighbours live in. If you haven't read this, it's basically eye for an eye scenario. Never snitching when your brother is murdered, always getting even. And it just goes on- it made me emotional knowing that these boys thought there was no other way. 

It's kind of the same for The Miseducation of Cameron Post- how some of the young adults at the institute that Cameron's sent to- it breaks my heart to know that some of these parents feel they have no choice but to send these children- just for being who they are- to a place to put them back to normal. 

~Book that made you happy~

As If On Cue, by Marisa Kanter! Music terminology jokes left and or right,  a hate to love romance and a last ditch musical to save both the drama club and the music programs! I knew I was going to love this and I was absolutely, 100% correct!
If anybody has any recommendations for light-hearted, funny contemporaries about music/ drama then please comment down below, as I'm eager to read more (especially if there's any reputation thrown in, like Rachel Lynn Solomon's You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone). 

~Most beautiful book you've bought this year (or received)~

Its a toss up between Skyward Flight, by Brandon Sanderson and The Poppy War, by R.F. Kuang. Can't I pick both? Both books are very much anticipated, I genuinely can't wait to get to both of these epic series'. 

~What books do you need to read by the end of the year~

All of my unread books! It's taking me a horrendously long time to get to all of them, but I am chugging away at my ever expanding TBR (though I've been reading my CR for 16 days now, which is embarrassing). 

If I was to target two things specifically, it would be the two series mentioned in the question above, so The Poppy War trilogy, by R.F. Kuang and Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson. 

~Favourite book to movie adaptation you've seen this year~

Oh god! Does XO Kitty count? It's a spin-off Netflix series that follows Kitty, who was a side character in the To All the Boys I've Loved Before trilogy. If it doesn't, oh well. 


And that's the tag officially done! 

I tag:

Honestly, anybody. Just be sure to comment if you have actually done the tag down below, so I can come and read your answers! 


That's all there is tonight guys, I hope you have a wonderful evening, day, night (wherever you are), and I'll see you all soon! 

Bye guys, 

-Abi xxxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment