Tuesday 9 January 2024

January TBR (2024)

 Hey guys, this is me, Abi, back in 2024! 

And this year is going to be better than ever! 

Why? Because I say so, dammit! 

I'm just joking. 

But honestly, who knows what's in store for you, me or anybody, really? 

I hope good things befall you, my friend. 


Anyway... kicking the year of is my usual January TBR, but with some absolutely amazing books on it! 

I know you'll be excited to hear about them, as I am to hear about what you all plan to read below (comment if you wish). 

Here are my reading plans for January, I hope you enjoy. 



1. Clementine Book Two (Clementine #2), by Tillie Walden 

I have already read this, but I'm including it anyway. This is, of course, the second installment of the Clementine graphic novel TRILOGY (sad face) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a bit slow going for the first chapter or so as the plotline took shape, but after that, I was tearing through the pages like anything, desperate to know what was going to happen next. Like with the first volume, it felt like the decisions Clementine made mirrored that of the videogame Clementine, which was nice to see. What I particularly loved about this volume was the balance between the face paced moments, when they're all fighting for their lives, compared with the peaceful moments, and moments of self discovery between characters. I loved this novel and I'm anxiously waiting for October, and the release of the final volume. 


2. The Deal of A Lifetime, by Fredrik Backman 

An extremely quick read- under an hour, from start to finish. This book hit a nerve- I was close to tears within minutes. I won't tell you all what it's about- you should find out for yourself. All I'm saying is, this book is 65 pages. Even if you don't read a whole lot, you can find the time for this book. 

And you should. Because it's amazing. It feels effortless, the way this story is told. It's like you're handed the story, piece by piece. And then, you're looking at the full picture, without even knowing it. 

Just, go out and buy a copy. You won't regret it. 


3. The Poppy War (The Poppy War #1), by R.F. Kuang 

4. The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War #2), by R.F. Kuang 

I started The Poppy War a few days ago and although I'm apalled at how long it's taken me to get to this series, I'm so glad to finally be reading it. I'm about halfway through, and I have no idea what direction this series will take from this moment on (and I kind of love it). 
By the way, I don't know if my fellow readers knew that poppies give out opium, but I sure didn't (so that was a surprise). 
But if you didn't know what The Poppy War is in a nutshell, now you do. 
Of course, there is more to it than that, like it discusses misuse of drugs, addiction, war, loyalty, and japanese history/ lore, but the bare bones of this book is literally in the title. 
We may well have a favourite book of the year on our hands, and it's only January! 
Excited to see what happens next. 


5. Icebreaker (Maple Hills #1), by Hannah Grace
I rarely see any kind of sport in a romance, so when I heard about this, I bought it without a second thought. If I don't manage to get to this in January, I definitely will in February- it is a romance, after all. 
Icebreaker tells the story of Stassie, skater from five years old, focused on Team USA at the Olympics; and Nathan, captain of the college hockey team, with the responsibility of keeping his team on the ice. After a misunderstanding results in the two of them sharing a rink, the pair find themselves butting heads more often then they'd like, with their unmistakable tension. But it's okay, because Stassie doesn't like hockey players, right? 

Just like with As If On Cue, I can never resist a book with two characters, from two opposite sides of the same rails, butting heads and trying (and failing) to fall in love. I'm sure I'm going to love this, no doubt about it. 


6. I Invited Her In, by Adele Parks 
*Sigh* 
I'm reading this after Poppy War- end of. 
I Invited Her In, is about Mel, who receives a message from her old friend Abi, asking for a place to stay. As old friends help each other, she agrees. What could go wrong? 

And, that's all I know. I've heard its a psychological thriller, and I am ready for it. (Apparently it's good). Anybody know if it is? 



Okay! Those are all the books I want for read for the remainder of the month (three weeks- who thinks I can do it? Comment below haha). 
I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon with my Seven Sisters pt. 2 review. (There- I've said it, so now it's out there- I have to post it next.) 
See you soon guys. 

Byeeeee! 
-Abi xxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment