Monday 4 March 2024

February Wrap Up & March TBR (2024)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here,

And I can finally find the time to post! 

Sorting house took priority of course, but I can't tell you how much I missed doing this! 

So happy to be back! 

Without further ado, I hope you enjoy my February Wrap Up & March TBR (2024)!


~February Wrap Up (2024)~

I ACTUALLY READ EVERYTHING I SET OUT TO READ THIS MONTH! 

I genuinely can't remeber the last time that happened. 

I read: 

1. The Poppy War (The Poppy War #1), by R.F. Kuang

After I failed to finish this for the end of January, I gave myself the kick up the butt that I needed, so I could finish this quickly. I am absolutely amazed at how well this book was written, and how much happens in it. Rin goes from being a lowly girl, about to be married off, to getting into Sinnegard, the most elite school in the country, to a valued member of a crazy powerful clan. I of course, can't really share what happens more than that, but I'm so glad I finally managed to finish this book and make a dent on what promises to be a phenomenal series. 

2. Good for a girl: A Woman Running in a Man's World, by Lauren Fleshman 
After struggling with The Poppy War, I really needed a change of pace. And because all my books were still in a million boxes, my choices were limited. Thus, I turned to audiobooks. 
Despite having had The Nobleman's Guide to Scandal and Shipwrecks on my audible shelf for about 3 years, I knew I didn't want to start reading a book from a series (planning a full series re-read soon, I promise) so I picked Good For A Girl up, full of intrigue. 
If you didn't know, Lauren Fleshman is a retired track athlete, coach, spokesperson, and now author of Good for a girl. This book discusses her journey from a child, dreaming of being an olympian, collegiate athlete, her struggles with eating disorders, the lack of research and courses for women's health in sport, amongst a whole load of other things that take place in the competitive enviroment that is track. 
So, if you're interested in that sort of thing, I would definitely give this a read. 

3. Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing, by Matthew Perry 
I don't know what to say about this. I feel I know Matthew a little better now, and I commemorate him on his candor, his honesty, when writing this memoir. 
Even writing this now, some of the things he said are swimming around my brain. 
I was not expecting this to be what it was. I knew he had a drug issue, but I had idea how extensive. 
Honestly, now that I've read this, I just want to give him a hug. 
If you're at all interested, come and get it, or read the audiobook, which is narrated by Matthew himself. 

4. Icebreaker (Maple Hills #1), Hannah Grace
I've been wanting to get to this for the longest time, and I'm so happy I finally got to it!   
This was just what I needed. There was plenty of sport, plenty of romance, hate to love romance, feminism, character development, and smut by the bucketload (maybe a tad too much for my liking, but that's just my preference). 
I loved both POV's, I never got bored, I was hooked from the get go, and I'm already thinking about when I'll be picking up book 2. 
If you don't know what this is about, it's about Anastasia and Nate, a figure skater that has her heart set on an olympic medal, and the captain of the Maple Hills hockey team. They're thrown together after a prank makes the team's ice rink unavailable- for the forseeable future. 
What exactly can go wrong? 

Extremely lovable, fleshed out characters and a funny, lighthearted (yet handles some serious subjects) and an engaging read. I loved it. 


5. The Dragon Repiblic (The Poppy War #2), by R.F. Kuang
The drive was most definitely there with this book. I did not want my reading progress with this to be the same as The Poppy War. I had 8 days to read a 650 page book and I was determined to finish in time for the end of february. 
I've always boded well with novels that have a clear goal, an endgame that they wanted to achieve, and this was no exception. 
In The Dragon Republic, Rin has one goal: to destroy the one person that brought about everything she held dear. But people and armies are manipulating her, her fellow soldiers look to her for guidance, and everybody has secrets. 
I don't know whether I enjoyed this more than the first book. What I do know is that I am ready for the third and final book. (But of course, not emotionally ready at all.) 



~March TBR (2024)~

1. The Grasmere and Alfoxden Journals, by Dorothy Wordsworth 
I don't know why I decided to put this book forward as an option for my next read. All I knew was that I needed a change of pacing from The Dragon Republic, so as not to dive headlong into a reading slump with The Burning God
This definitely isn't my typical reading taste, much like with Lyrical Ballds, but I'm hoping a journal will be more acquited to my liking, especially as they've been written by Dorothy. 


2. I Invited Her In, by Adele Parks
Yes, it's on another TBR. 
I will get to it this month or I'm giving it back to my auntie. 
My mum has even recommended it this evening. 

3. Sheltering Rain, by JoJo Moyes
Since putting off I Invited Her In, I haven't really even thought about picking this up (got it at the same time). 
Reading the synopsis, this doesn't sound a lot like the type of JoJo Moyes book I'm used to reading. But that's not to say it isn't at all. I always love a story that revolves around family drama, and this one spans over several decades. It tells the story of of twenty-one-year-old Joy, as she unexpectantly falls in love with a handsome naval officer in Honk-Kong in the 1950s. They quickly wed, but she soon discovers that married life isn't quite what it seems. Fast forward to 1980, their daughter Kate mysteriously flees their home to find her grandparents. When she locates them, secrets that have remained hidden threaten to surface... 
Sheltering Rain sounds dark and intriguing, and based on how much I love JoJo Moyes' writing, I know I'm bound to love this. 



4. The Burning God (The Poppy War #3), by R.F. Kuang
The third and final book in The Poppy War series! I have no idea what I'm in for, but I'm so excited to see what happens! 
Honestly, I've seen mixed reviews (most love, but there are a few that felt let down). I have no doubt that I'm going to love this last book, but I'm so very nervous for the ending. If you've read this, let me know in the comments what you thought (but no spoilers please). 
I really hope I love this (and none of my favourite characters die). 


Okay! That is my February Wrap Up & March TBR (2024)! 
I hope my reading is as succesful this month as it was last month. 
As always, feel free to comment below what you all are planning on picking up this month! 
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx













No comments:

Post a Comment