Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I'm back, with my first wrap up since February!
This would be my September Wrap Up, except for the fact that I managed to finish a book in three days in August, so I'll be including that as well!
Without further ado, I hope you enjoy it!
(This one is going to be a long one- I've finished eight books since finishing SP!)
1. Tilt, by Emma Pattee
This is truly a book set in a disaster.
Picture this: you're 37 weeks pregnant, out buying a crib you've been saving up for, for nearly nine months- and then the Earth starts crumbling around you. Next thing you know, you're in complete darkness.
Now, I won't share too many of my thoughts on this, because I'm planning a review sometime soon. But an earthquake would be terrifying for anyone. Not least a 37 weeks pregnant woman, seperated from her partner.
Tilt is absolutely ground-breaking. Pun intended.
I will be recommending this to everybody that asks for a suggestion in the near future. You can guarantee that.
2. Rebel Rising, by Rebel Wilson
A book that (metaphorically) had been collecting dust on my Audible shelf for months. At risk of losing my Audible streak, I decided to pick this up, instead of purchasing the audiobook for The Miniaturist, my current read (that I was struggling with at the time).
Actually glad I picked this up.
Granted, it's not the most compelling, most interesting, thought-provoking, or emotional memoir I've read, but it's a stellar, 4 star read.
If you get the feeling from Rebel Wilson is an up-front, honest person, from her characters/ public appearances, you are absolutely right, and this book is proof of that.
This was exactly what I wanted when I picked it up. I got to learn more about Rebel Wilson. I learned that I had in fact, watched all of her most noticed films like Bridesmaids, and of course the Pitch Perfect movies, but this made me want to check out her earlier comedy programs as well, before she made it big time.
Also, like most author narrated autobiographies, I could not stop listening once I started. There was one part towards the end that, I felt, went over the same points a couple more times than was needed, but other than that, no repetition, no rushed chapters, nothing that wasn't needed.
Worth the read if you're curious about her story at all, and definitely doesn't deserve the hate it receives.
3. Journey to the Centre of the Earth, by Jules Verne
I've only had this a short time, but when my boyfriend surprised me with this, from the mysterious phonebox on the way home, I knew it wouldn't be long until an opportunity presented itself to read this. It didn't take me long to figure out: Journey to the Centre of the Earth is the perfect read-a-thon, because of how short it was.
Perfect timing as well, I'd planned to wake up at six, a couple of days after my birthday, and read as much as I could.
So, on Wednesday 16th September, I made a start.
Now, honestly, the fact that it was written in 19th century, was a very large obstacle. I read an average of 30ish pages an hour working through this, it was that wordy.
Nevertheless, like every difficult read, there were some points I loved, and flew through- and others, where I was near tearing my eyes out and praying to whatever God there is, that this book would soon be over.
Once I got past the first part, and to the actual expedition, I definitely picked up speed.
One thing I will say, is it definitely doesn't feel like a book that's under 200 pages. Believe me when I say, there's so much packed in! If you can withstand the roundabout style of story-telling, you will thoroughly enjoy this novel. There is no book like it.
4. Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk
After grinding for hours at Journey to the Centre of the Earth, I was ready for something a bit less taxing. Ever since seeing this in Kibworth Books a few months ago, I have been extremely curious about this book. Obviously I'd heard of the film, starring Brad Pitt, but to me, it didn't make sense that it would come from a novel first. Fight Club is 200 pages exactly, which is why I selected it for my 18-hour-readathon.
This book blew my mind. The ending was the best part. Every so often, my mind wanders to the ending of this book, and the realisation, and I can't help but reel at how it all worked out.
Everybody I ask remembers seeing the film, but can't remember whether the film was the same as the book which, let me tell you, is very frustrating.
You know when a book doesn't quite make sense at the start, but then you progress, and suddenly every weird thing, or description that didn't quite ring true, makes sense? That was this book for me.
I think I need to distance myself from how amazing this book was before I watch the film, but don't doubt, I will watch this film, as soon as I'm able to.
5. Long Way Down, by Jason Reynolds
Book three of eighteen-hour-readathon. Having finished two books, and feeling pretty fatigued, and bordering on a reading slump, I decided to pick up a quick and easy book that I was familiar with (and one I'd been thinking about a fair bit recently).
Basically, this follows fifteen-year-old Will, in the lift, with his gun in his pocket, about to avenge his brother. Who has just been murdered.
See, there are three rules in his neighbourhood- that everybody live by when the worst happens.
1. No crying.
2. No snitching.
3. Always get revenge.
And Will is just about to do that.
Except, people keep getting into the lift with him.
Dead people.
The mentor of Will's brother. A childhood friend. His Uncle Mark. His Dad. The guy that killed his brother's mentor. Even his brother.
Question is, can they persuade him to turn around, or will he follow down the same path as the ghosts around him?
Every time I read this, it takes me about an hour. It's so fucking powerful, so bloody real, and despite what it's about, it's more hopeful than you'd think. One of the best graphic novels I've ever read, truly.
6. Every Heart A Doorway (Wayward Children #1), by Seanan MccGuire
I read a number of these very short, very dark novels about six years ago, very quickly. I then got bored of them, and now I'm probably three books behind.
I picked this up, so I could re-introduce myself to this wonderful, mystical series, in order to continue at my own pace (also to continue my Audible streak, which is now at 10 weeks).
It was such a relief to merge back into this series.
The Wayward Children series starts at Eleanor West's Home for Wayward Children, and it is for children that have seen doors, in their ordinary homes, and those doors have taken them to other places, sometimes for years at a time, that suits them better than any other place could.
They have then come home, and are not able to deal with it.
On the whole, so creative, so imaginative, and very very dark. Couple that with the fact that, on 1.7% speed, I can finish each book within three hours, then what's not to like?
(Also, it helps my Goodreads Reading Goal a lot, because I'm only five books away from finishing.)
7. The Miniaturist (The Miniaturist #1), by Jessie Burton
8. The House of Fortune (The Miniaturist #2), by Jessie Burton
If you didn't know, I first read The Miniaturist back in 2019, after a Waterstones member of staff recommended it to me. Wasn't the sort of book I typically gravitated towards.
To my surprise, I really enjoyed it. Historical fiction standalone. Great.
Until I came across the sequel, The House of Fortune, in July 2022.
Remembering how much I enjoyed the first one, I purchased it, thinking I would need to re-read The Miniaturist first.
And now, four years later, I finally finished it!
Oh, by the way, totally worth waiting four years to re-read book one, and then read The House of Fortune. Much like The Miniaturist, once you get past a certain point, you can't help but read the second half of book two, in one afternoon.
The House of Fortune will most definitely make my favourites list at the end of the year.
It's so well-written, so compelling, without being too similar to the prequel, but you definitely cannot read book two without reading book one.
Even having written all of the above, I feel I still haven't scratched the surface with these two. Anybody want to say review? I'm definitely considering it.
9. Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2), by Seanan McGuire
This is my next audiobook, and with the correct reading speed, last approximately 2.5 hours. Peace of cake.
Down Among the Sticks and Bones takes place in the timeframe, before book 1. This is where Jack and Jill's world is, after they go through the door.
And fast forward to the next day, when I have finished said book. My God, was this book good! Just, so good.
The Moors. Filled with creatures. Vampires, re-awaken, werewolves. And two very different twins.
At this point, I doubt the series could get any better.
So short, but so enticing.
Just as good as the first book.
I know it's been years since these books were released, but if you like a bit of horror, a bit of murder, some dark tales, that are short and sweet (with a bit of magic on the side) then this is the series for you.
Okay! Those are all of the books I read in September (and one in August too). Audiobooks were at an all time high for this month, with me finishing my fifth tonight.
Let's hope the saga continues.
So, that is all that I have for you today! I hope you enjoy it, and feel free to comment below! I hope you have a wonderful evening, and I'll see you all soon with my October TBR!
Byeeee!
-Abi xxxxxx







No comments:
Post a Comment