Wednesday 18 July 2018

IT, by Stephen King

My god how am I going to get all these thoughts out?

Oh, hey guys! This is Abi here,
And enough is enough, I have to get to this.
I owe it to myself, I owe it you guys, so we can talk about all the things that we loved or hated in the story of IT.

*Sigh*
Okay, let's get to it.

Title: IT
Author: Stephen King (first Stephen King book)
Genre: Horror
Release date: 15th September, 1986
Status: Standalone
Pages: 1166
Blurb: "Derry, Maine is just an ordinary town: familiar well-
ordered for the most place, a good place to live.

It is a group of children who see-and feel- what makes
Derry so horribly different. In the storm drains, in the
sewers, IT lurks, taking on the shape of every nightmare,
each one's deepest dread. Sometimes IT appears as an
evil clown named Pennywise and sometimes IT reaches
up, seizing, tearing, killing...

Time passes and the children grow up, move away
and forget. Until they are called back, once more to
confront IT as IT stirs and coils in the sudden depths
of their memories, emerging again to make their
past nightmares a terrible present reality."

My Thoughts
When I first read the first 20 or so pages of this, I closed the book and thought
"How am I going to read this thing?" Because of how detailed and intense it was.
I'll tell you how. Don't put pressure on yourself to read.

And then I got into it. And I'll tell you, with this book, the mood to read 150 pages for like 3 days in a row was a thing. I went days without reading a single word, and then I'd read 150 pages a day for 3 days.
But what I found with this book is that you have to read when you want to, and not put pressure on yourself to read this book by a certain date. Because it will not work.

I'll tell you, what the deal was with this book. It takes place in two different timelines, when seven characters are eleven, and then 27 years later, when they return to the town of Derry to rid the world of IT once and for all.
I have to say, as much as I liked when they returned as adults, I much preferred when reading the point of views of the children, watching them come together as a team, as well as individuals, in a world where they're discovering themselves and learning to be independent.
Don't get me wrong, it was interesting to see how the lives of the characters had changed from the time that they were children, but I preferred reading about them as kids.

Also, none of them were the type that you typically see. They each have something that renders them an outsider to what the school almost expected. It was easy to fall into the perspective of every single one of them, and not so much relate to what they went through when it came to IT, but their home lives in general. It was amazing for them to see the way that these seven characters came together to make the club that would eventually brave the sewers and IT.

Also, this book was very clever. It was very smart about when the clown/nightmare emerged. It wasn't like a constant scare, there were so many other things that were included in this book, it wasn't just a constant nightmare, I promise. A couple of things that I wish there was less of was the cursing and from some of the side characters, that was a bit of a bad point, having to read through some of the things that they say throughout the book, as well as the character development. Although I enjoyed the fact that the characters were super fleshed out, getting to the point of when the adults would eventually meet took a whole 450 pages, and it was a bit long, in my opinion.

What I liked about this book was despite how simple the concept was, it was crafted so well together, I was never bored. The gruesome undertones to the book made you shiver with unpleasantness, the lives that these characters lead too, it was all so carefully constructed to weave a perfect horror story.

Overall, such an amazing read. It may not be for everyone, but if you are a horror fanatic, I have to say that this is a must read. It went as the largest book I've ever read, and the scariest too!
After this experience, I'm happy to say that I will be picking up another Stephen King book in the very near future!

Okay, so that is my review of IT, by Stephen King! I hope you enjoyed it and I will see you all on Friday, with my review of The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment