Saturday 18 February 2023

Unread books

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm here with my unread book list! (As of 18/02/2023.) 

I've accumilated a fair few books over the past couple months (some dating back all the way to September). 

Some of them are full series', others are the sequels in series', and then there are some standalones. So a huge mixture!

So, I'm doing this post because I want to see how many I actually own, and so I can stop myself from buying even more books (in theory)! 

Time to get my book bag out I guess :) 

I hope you enjoy this guys. 


1. The Poppy War (The Poppy War #1), by R. F. Kuang

2. The Dragon Republic (Poppy War #2), by R. F. Kuang

3. The Burning God (The Poppy War #3), by R.F. Kuang 

They've been on my "Want to Read" shelf for five years, I received them as a Valentine's Day present, and I am ready to dive in! 
I probably shouldn't be so excited to read a series that features that's about war and a bunch more very adult themes, like adictive in them, but I won't lie, the excitement is real with this series. 
From my understanding, half of The Poppy War follows Rin, a dark-skinned peasant girl from the South, as she navigates her way through the Nikara Empire, the most elite millitary school in Nikan, and the second half is when she is graduated, and sent off to experience the harsh realities of the third poppy war. 
That's all I know about it, but every single book has been an instant hit with epic fantasies, and I'm fully expecting this to be an all around five-star series for me. 

4. Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters #1), by Talia Hibbert 
5. Take A Hint, Dani Brown (The Brown Sisters #2), by Talia Hibbert 
6. Act Your Age, Eve Brown (The Brown Sisters #3), by Talia Hibbert 
Another series that's been on my "Want to Read" shelf for a really long time that I just never seem to have gotten to. 
Basically, all I know about these books is that they're cute cute cute cute cute and extremely entertaining. Each book focuses on one of the brown sisters, (who I really hope get along with eachother because I need more books with that). 
I'm thinking they're the perfect books for my trip to Malta in April, which even though that's far away, it'll give me a chance to get to the other books on this list! 

7. Amari and the Great Game (Supernatural Investigators #2), by B.B. Alston 
Although it's been a while since I read the first book, Amari and the Night Brothers, the want to pick this up hasn't been extinguished and I'm fully expecting to pick this up in the next couple months. 
Amari and the Night Brothers was a favourite back in 2021, and it follows our protagonist as she navigates a magical school she knows nothing about, competing against kids that have had all their lives to prepare, keep up with the trials and tribulations of classes, all while trying to find out what happened to her brother Quinton, the golden boy of the Academy, whose mysterious vanished. 
The first book was explosive and imaginative, and I hold high standards for the sequel. 

8. Cytonic (Skyward #3), by Brandon Sanderson 
Now, I know technically this book came out in 2021, but I've been reading the paperbacks, so this copy wasn't actually released until about a year later. Still think I should have read it before now though. 
Cytonic is the third book in the Skyward series, so I can't disclose anything about the plot, because of spoilers, but this one is about a personal quest for Spensa, to find out more about what she is, a new threat to the Defiant Defence Forse, and how her identity can help defeat it. 
I'm thinking I might re-read the first and second books before picking this, so maybe I'll think about getting to it after some of the standalones listed here. 

9. The House of Fortune (The Miniaturist #2), by Jessie Burton 
I'm so glad I stumbled on this when I did, because I was about to donate The Miniaturist, the first book, because I honestly thought it was a standalone. Thank god I didn't! 
After reading the blurb, I'm not altogether sure what this book is about. I know it takes place eighteen years after the events of the first book, so I'm looking forward to reading about the current time period, and seeing some new and familiar characters. I will probably re-read The Miniaturist because I last read that at the start of 2019, but it'll be good to go back to this world and this time in history. 
(By the way, The Miniaturist starts when eighteen-year-old Nella arrives at a grand house in Amsterdam, to start her new life as the wife of a wealthy merchant. She's gifted a cabinet-sized replica of their home, to be furnished by a miniaturist, which seems to hold the people of the house's fate, based on what she does with them. Mysterious and intriguing book by the way.)

10. Looking Glass (The Chronicles of Alice #3), by Christina Henry 
So. When I saw this in my local Magazine Heaven a couple of months back, it was included as the third book in The Chronicles of Alice series. I purchased said book, and then I found out. It might count as the third book, but it's not a full one. It's four novellas, all rolled into one novel. 
Of course I'm going to read it. If there's another book to add to the two I've already finished and enjoyed, I won't turn it away. 
I just might not get to it, until I'm in the mood, which might be a while. 
Another book to add to my Christina Henry collection. 

11. Black Night Falling (The Circle Trilogy #3), by Teri Terry 
This book has been out since July, but I didn't actually get a copy until some months later. It's absolutely disgusting that I haven't got to this yet, but because of how long I've left it, I think a re-read of books 1 & 2 is in order. 
As much as I think I'm going to enjoy this, as much as I enjoy all of Teri Terry's books, the 2nd book in this series wasn't the instant 5 star I hoped it would be so honestly, I'm kind of hesitant, going into it. 
Most people are rating three or four stars, so fingers crossed I'll enjoy it as much as everyone else has. 

12. Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens 
This book rose in popularity when news of the film was released. I don't know much about it, and that's kind of how I want to go into this book. I think it's about a girl that others refer to as The Marsh Girl, who has grown up in the jungle, isolated from the rest of the town, until she's forced to come and live there, to be a part of society. I know it's set in the 50s, that somebody dies, I'm not sure if she's accused too but, I do think I'll be pleasantly surprised with this. Definitely a five star contendor. 

13. The Book Eaters, by Sunyi Dean 
Again, I know very little about this book. I saw it for half price in a Waterstones (to buy a book to mark a place- yes I still do that). A quick read of the blurb, a glance to tell me that V.E. Schwab had blurbed the book, and a copy was MINE. 
This book sounds so interesting. It's about an old and grand clan of book eaters, and we follow Devon, a young woman within the clan. While her brothers grew up reading books about valor and adventure, the books she consumed were largely monitored: all she had to consume were fairytales and cautionary tales. When her son is born and she is presented with some dark and disturbing news: her son doesn't hunger for books, but for human minds... 
I have no idea what to expect from this book, and I have no idea when I'm gonna get to it. But I know that I will, and it'll be very soon because it's just so damn intriguing. 

I do also have the books that I've listed for my February TBR, which I won't go into detail about, but you can check out here.
Here's the list of what I have left to read from that post: 

1. Grown Ups, by Marian Keyes
2. As If On Cue, by Marisa Kanter
3. The Miseducation of Cameron Post, by Emily M. Danforth 


And that's my lot! The next thing I'll do after this post goes live is write down every book that I specifically want to read this year, so I can (hopefully) cross them out as I go! 

As always, feel free to comment your list of unread books in the comments below, if you want to keep track, it'll be interesting to see what you have to read! 
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon! 
Bye guys! 

-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment