Tuesday, 28 July 2026

10 Year Challenge Book Tag

 Hey guys, this is Abi here! 

Today I will be posting something a little different- something I haven't done in over a year (well done on forgetting the mid year freak-out tag, Abi! Sorry guys, it's too late now). 

And yes, as you can see from the title, it is a book tag- but it's one I haven't done before, so should be interesting. 

This one stood out to me because, well, I realised a couple of months ago that I've been posting on this blog for over ten years now- and I recently hit 1 million views- so it seemed fitting to see how my tastes have changed since I was 18. 

Without further ado, I hope you enjoy reading the only new book tag I've done in well, several years. 

Oops. 


~What was your favourite book in 2016?~

I'm going to twist this a little bit. I'm going to pick my favourite book that I read in 2016. (Although that's still extremely hard, because I read so many good books that year- Six of Crows, Unbecoming, The Book Thief, I'll Give You the Sun, Ready Player One


Okay, I'm picking Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline. 

Not only is the world building phenomenal, unlike any world I've had the pleasure of visiting, but it's the book that I think the most about today, based on what my current reading tastes are. 

Unbecoming, by Jenny Downham is a close second, due to the generational storyline, the characters, and the subject matter (and the writing), but Ready Player One takes the cake for that year. 


~What is your favourite book in 2026?~

My current favourite for the year (so far of course, cos the year isn't over yet) is definitely... 

Although there weren't a lot of books from this year's list, due to the massive re-read I'm currently working through, it wasn't hard to decide on this one. It may be a bit of a commitment, what with it being 500+ pages, and the first in a 10 book series. 

But getting to follow Claire as she was dropped on her head, with a new baby to care for, no devoted husband, and no home, begin to pick herself up and start to look forward to what life had to offer, was worth the large page count. I think I'll struggle to find a book that matches this in character, storyline, character arc, and addictability. Literally, I could not put this book down when I was reading it, always wanting to find out what happened next. 


~What was your least favourite book in 2016?~

I have a feeling some people aren't going to like my choice for this one... 

Yeah... 
So, I heard a lot of people raving about this book on booktube, Jessethereader at the forefront of it. Then the trailer dropped for the movie, and so I decided to give it a try. 

My God, was it slow. 
So, it was common knowledge that the photos included in the story are real, and Ransom Riggs created a story around these strange photographs. 
And that is true. You can see the story make sense, around these photographs. 
It just felt like he was stretching too far to make the photos make sense within the story. 

The story just dragged for me, because these photos was the base of the story. I remember wishing he hadn't of bothered. 

Maybe I just didn't gel with his writing, or like the characters, or even the story, but I just didn't enjoy it all that much. 
And I haven't reached for another book of his since. 

~What has been your least favourite book in 2026?~

I'm just going to go with Resurrection. Book 10 in the Skulduggery Pleasant series. The first book in a new series, where I was waiting for the plot to start unfolding. 

I've said in my Skulduggery Pleasant updates that it wasn't my favourite, and at the moment, I haven't read any books I didn't especially dislike- which is why I'm picking Resurrection

~What is a book published in 2016 that you still want to read?~

THIS. 

I've been wanting to read this since I heard about it. Fredrik Backman is a recent auto-buy author for me, and I will not rest until I've read every single book of his. His hauntingly beautiful writing makes for an emotional breakdown whenever I pick up a book, even if it's as small as 70 something pages. He reminds me of Patrick Ness, in the way that he can break your heart into a million pieces with just one, well placed sentence. 

I've heard that Beartown is one of Backman's best works, and I cannot wait to finally get my hands on it. I intend to purchase it with a voucher I've recently accuired. 


~What is a book published in 2026 you want to get to before 2027?~

I do post my anticipated releases every three months, so you can find those posts on my page pandemonium page if you want to know all of them. 

However, the standout book from those is 100% A Soul Full of Shadows, by Derek Landy. Actually can't believe I had to search my anticipated releases before I decided on that one. 

(Hello? Anybody upstairs? It's the whole reason why I've been re-reading Skulduggery Pleasant since bloody March. Dumbass. 

But yeah. Final Skulduggery Pleasant book. Ever. No more after this one. No idea how I'm going to feel after this one. 


~What is a genre you used to read a lot of that you don't read as much of anymore?~

Honestly, no idea. I still read anything and everything. I read middle grade, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, fiction, everything I was reading in 2016, I still read now. 

I haven't read a YA murder mystery in a long while, thinking about it. 

I liked Sara Shephard, with The Lying Game and PLL, I liked Karen M. McManus' books, with all of her murder mystery standalones, and I like Diana Urban books too. 

So if there's a Genre that I've dropped a lot in the past decade, it'll be that one. 


~What is a new Genre you've discovered since 2016?~

Graphic novels, definitely. 

In the last decade, I've started Saga, Heartstopper (recently finished), Paper Girls, Life is Strange, Clementine, FenceSkyward and recently started Monster

All fantastic series', mostly Sci-fi and Fantasy genre, but I genuinely can't wait to read more in upcoming years. 


~What is a reading or book habit you are hoping to leave behind in this decade?~

Using audiobooks as a crutch when I'm struggling with huge hardbacks/ paperbacks. I've more or less dropped the physical Skulduggery Pleasant books in the past week, because I'm impatient. I'd like to have a whole year of picking audiobooks because I want the audiobook- and don't own the physical. Not becuase I'm bored of reading a book I'm struggling to progress with. 


~What is a new reading goal or habit you want to create in the next decade?~

Start a reading streak. Even if I only read 10 pages some days, I want to say that I managed to read something- every single day. And not because I want to carry the streak on, but because I genuinely want to read. 

Let's see if I can make it happen. 


Okay! That is the 10 year Challenge Book Tag! 

I won't be tagging anybody, because I have no idea who is still blogging at this point, but it's open to anybody that wants to try this tag! 


I hope you enjoyed reading this, and don't be afraid to post a comment down below! 

I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon! 

Byeeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment