Wednesday 20 January 2021

Winterish Books

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And today I will be listing books that just have that winterry feel! 

Some will be cute and happy winterry books, and others will be kind of tough and brutal-ish winter reads. 

 I hope you meet some awesome recommendations. 

Enjoy! 


1. The Light Between Worlds, by Laura E. Weymouth 

This book completely and utterly surprised me- in a good way. It's a historical fiction/ magical realism novel, and because I rarely see those genres together, that's what intrigued me and convinced me to give it a try. The Light Between Worlds follows four siblings that run away to a magical land to escape the horrors of World War II in their backyard. They stay there for the remainder of the war, only to return back to their original ages once they've grown to young adults. From that point, the story follows two sisters, Phillipa and Evelyn. Although Phillipa was happy to return to reality, Evelyn wasn't and is plagued with memories of a happy time. Will she make the leap back to fantasy, or fall in the attempt? 

This book has such a mystical, magical, winterry and beautifully delicate vibe that I couldn't help but add this to the list. The descriptions just feels like it takes place in the midst of winter and I highly recommend if you're in the mood for a beautifully written book that throws two fantastic genres together and makes it work.  

2. Salt to the Sea, by Ruta Sepetys 

Another historical fiction, Salt to the Sea takes place on 30th January, 1945, during the sinking of a German cruise liner- a ship that was meant to journey refugees in their escape of the Red Army. It literally takes place in the middle of winter, and the fact that I haven't read this in years (barely remembering anything) but remember how it feels to be reading this, says something! (I should really re-read Ruta Sepetys' books soon.) Everything is brutal about this book. The time period, the writing (it has to be, if it's accurate), and the fact that this book is set in Winter is really shown through the writing in this. 

3. The Wolf Wilder, by Katherine Rundell 

Well there's snow on the cover. The Wolf Wilder is set in Russia and follows a young girl who is forced to go on the run with only her wolves when the Russian Army threatens her very existence. Despite having read this in 2016, I enjoyed it so much that I read another of Katherine Rundell's books 4 years later, based solely on my enjoyment of this book. The nights are tough and cold for Feodora and the description of the harsh winter nights for her and her wolves are what landed The Wolf Wilder on this list. Highly recommend if you're looking for a fast paced middle grade to fly through! 


4. Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4), by Jackson Pearce 

The fourth book in my all time favourite fairytale retelling series. A beautifully lyrically written book that's a spin off for the Snow Queen, and although it was less enjoyable than the previous three books, it was still a decent. Follow Ginny as she treks through the ghastly winters in search for her boyfriend Kai, who was enticed away by the Snow Queen. Compared to the other books in the series, the show and the feeling of winter really plays a party in making this book as interesting as possible, which is why it's on the list. 

5. Let it Snow, by John Green, Maureen Johnson & Lauren Myracle 

Just a quick, wonderful winter read. Three short stories, three authors, that give off that wonderful winter feeling. I have my favourite, and my least favourite, but they have hot chocolate, friendships, and a short, fun, heart-warming story. If you want a winter read you can demolish in a weekend, then this is the book for you! 


Okay! Those are all the books that have that winterry feeling! I tried to range through the genres, and I hope you found some recommendations you haven't tried yet! 

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you all soon! As always, feel free to comment below! 

Byeeee! 


-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment