Friday 7 December 2018

Pennies In A Hat, an Original Story

Pennies In A Hat

I pull my sunglasses over my eyes, shielding them from the sun. Too bright. Almost sighing  at the almost instant relief they give me, I take a brief look at my watch. Shit, I think noticing how many people there are between me and the corner, 10 minutes to opening. No time to even get a Danish pasty. I almost roll my eyes.  
Dodging past people, I consider making a scene so I don't have to go to work, the banging on the side of my head right now. I start to calculate whether I'd have the space to faint without actually injuring myself, when I hear something faintly, in the distance.
Music, I think, feeling the corners of my mouth turning upwards. I make my way towards the music.

I find myself at the platform, where I go for a deli sometime, though it looks different to usual. Usually there's only one or two people making their way to the various different places to go in London. But now, the platform is full of people, all seemingly crowding round something, which is also where the music is coming from. I head towards where the crowd is gathered.
What do I see? A youngish boy, moving from skateboard, and dancing, being spurred on by the ever-growing crowd. Not what I was expecting.
Glancing at my watch, I hastily make my way to the crowd, hoping for a chance to talk to this boy and introduce myself. But as soon as I get over there, I see there is no way, there's just two many people. Never mind getting a pastry, I'm going to be late.
Looking around for inspiration, I notice a slightly crumpled, blue hat with some change and notes inside. Obviously the boy's takings for the day.
Sighing, I reach down into my sock, grab my handy notebook and pen, scribble "Matt Richardson- Music Producer- 07452618552",slip it into his hat, and head off to work.

* * * * * * * * * * *

My feet are at the ground, trying not to trip. Since when did it get so dark? I can't even see my watch in front of my face. Rocking back and forth, I try to keep my balance. I should have eaten more at lunch, I probably wouldn't feel this light-headed if I had.
Just keep your head up Matt, then you can't fall.
But I did. I didn't even realise I'd fallen until I heard a shout:
"Watch it! I was trying to sleep!" The voice was gruffier than I'd thought it would be, especially as it was coming from the skateboard/dancer from earlier.
"Sorry, sorry, I didn't recognise you! You're that boy from earlier! You were amazing!" I couldn't help but grin, especially as it was the best thing that'd happened all day.
"Thanks mate." His eyes don't make eye contact with mine. Digging his hands into his pocket, he leans down to pick up his one blanket and goes to lie back down on the platform he was dancing on just hours before.

An idea pops into my head. By this point, the boy has already gathered on the floor, ready to brave another night on the street. I go up to him, give him a little nudge with my leg, making sure that he is still conscious.
"Get up. Your staying round mine." I keep walking.
And without another word, he gets up.

* * * * * * * * *
I set the two cups of tea down on the table and glance at my companion. He's had a shower, dried and brushed his hair, and borrowed some of my clothes, so he looks a lot more presentable. But there's still a look in his eyes.
"So..." I stare at him, straight in the face.
"So..." He stares straight back.
I push the mug towards him. "Have some tea." He eyes the tea, but he doesn't drink.
Biting my lip, I say: "So what's your name?"
He remains silent.
"Okay..."My eyes darting around my tiny apartment, I'm trying to hype myself up, to say what I want to say.
Time's up.
"You've got talent." I wait for his response.
"WHAT did you say?"
"You've got talent, and I think you should be signed with an agent." I reach for my mug of tea.
"Are you out of your mind?!" He was staring at the door, thinking of leaving.
He looks me straight in the eye. "I'm fine." And before I can make a move, he's out the door.
Hmmmm... drumming my fingers on the table, I start to think.
* * * * * * * * * *
"Alright mate, see you soon." I hang up the call.
Right on time.
I'm at the platform, watching the kid (whom I still don't know his name) killing it with his skateboarding/break-dancing routine. I just hope he gets here soon.
Here's the plan: I have a friend from high-school who is at a dancing agency. He scouts all over the country, and I have managed to get him over to London. He's due to arrive any minute.
And then, I realise that the boy is staring right at me. I walk a little closer to the crowd.
I see my friend, motion to him. He comes closer. The boy is still staring at me.
"This is him. I don't know his name, but I do know that he is sleeping on the street. What do you think?"
"Wow." And the rest is history.
* * * * * * * * * *
This was two years ago. The boy is now in a troupe of break-dancers, touring round the country at present. When he's not touring, he stays with me, and I am in the process of adopting him, as he is under 18. And his name is Jacob.
As for me, I find I'm a lot happier, having someone else in the house from time to time. It's cool to have someone to talk to.



Okay! Hi guys! I just felt like writing another story, I think my last one was in the last half of October... but I definitely want to make this a more of a regular thing, but only when I'm in the mood, because otherwise it's going to seem like a chore, which is the last thing I want.
Anyway, that is going to do it for this post, let me know what you thought in the comments!
 I hope you have a lovely weekend, and I'll see you on Monday!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx










No comments:

Post a Comment