Friday 14 May 2021

Books 21-30 of 2021

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back with a look at some of the books I've read recently! 

Without further ado- enjoy! 


21. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1), by Rick Riordan 

22. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #2), by Rick Riordan 

23. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #3), by Rick Riordan 

24. The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #4), by Rick Riordan

25. The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #5), by Rick Riordan 

The series that started it all. Because of this series, there are now five completed series' in this world, and there could have been none of those, without Percy Jackson. At the start of this, I thought that the writing felt kind of young, which I was expecting to be honest, especially as this is considered a middle grade, but the further in I got, the more I grew to love these wonderfully brave, courageous young heroes that were risking their necks- and the lives of their friends. Highly recommend if you're not on the train for this yet. 

26. The Authenticity Project, by Clare Pooley 

This was a slow burner. I was considering DNF'ing at some point, but then it got a whole lot better, very quickly. The speed with which I read this was slowly, then gathering speed, and then it was something like 150 pages in the last day. This story begins with a notebook, in a cafe, and a person's truth. From there, each new character, who are unhappy in their own way, are slowly edging into the story. What I liked about this is that the people in this story, really are just ordinary people. Yet it was so easy to love them, to fall into their lives and want them to be better. It all starts with a notebook. 

27. Instant Karma, by Marissa Meyer 

I'm conflicted on this. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I think I'm going to stick to fantasy/sci-fi for Marissa Meyer in the forseeable future. At the time of reading, this was going to become one of my new contemporary favourites, but now that time has passed, it just seems like another contemporary. There were a lot of positive aspects to this, like: the setting, caring for the animals, the themes such as money troubles, the haters to lovers trope, and of course the family trope. I very much enjoyed it, but I doubt I'll be re-reading it soon. 

28. Concrete Rose (The Hate U Give #0), by Angie Thomas 

I got the urge to re-read The Hate U Give after this. Because this was an amazing book. 
It had a different feel to Thomas' other works, but that's because I was reading from the POV of Maverick, as a young and naive teenager, who suddenly finds that he has a child. This book is about making his socks clean in a neighbourhood where violence is the law. I read this in three days, I could not put it down. I don't know when, but at some point, I will definitely be picking up both this and The Hate U Give

29. Roam, by C.H. Armstrong

I rarely come across a book that deals with homelessness, so when I saw this, I leapt on it. Three years later, I've finally read it. Roam is a hard-hitting, very sensitively written story about Abby, and her family, struggling to survive in the winter months without a place to call home, whilst also trying to keep their situation a secret. There are very real threats when you're forced to live in a car during October, and C.H. Armstrong does not hold back. If you're in the mood for an engaging, powerful read about a girl and her family, then I highly recommend this. 

30. Seasons of War (Skulduggery Pleasant #13), by Derek Landy 

I made the decision to re-read this, before picking up the most recent Skulduggery Pleasant novel (Dead or Alive). Seasons of War is basically a team of characters (some of which are my favourite of all time) to go to another dimension to kill a character that's already dead in their dimension (before he comes over and kills them all). Seasons of War was my favourite book from Skulduggery Pleasant- part 2, because it's been ages since Valkyrie and Skulduggery have had a private mission together. It was great to be able to refresh on what I was heading into with this series. 

Okay! Those are all the books I've read recently! I hope you've enjoyed this, and feel free to comment down below if you have any thought on any of the books mentioned! (Or any books that you guys have been reading.) 
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeee! 

-Abi xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment