Friday 4 March 2022

March TBR (2022)

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back with my TBR, for... the third month! 

I hope you enjoy it. 

~March TBR (2022)~

1. Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1), by Natasha Nyan 

2. Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire #2), by Natasha Nyan 

3. Girls of Fate and Fury (Girls of Paper and Fire #3), by Natasha Nyan 



Although it's only been a couple of years since I started this series, I boremember precious little of Girls of Paper and Fire and Girls of Storm and Shadow. Therefore, it made sense to re-read them again, in preparation of the final book. 
Besides, I'm sure I'll be more excited and invested in the story going into Girls of Fate and Fury after marathoning book 1 & 2. 
Gearing myself up for an explosive ending to the series. 

4. The Good Thieves, by Katherine Rundell 

I picked this up because it had been a while since I'd read a Katherine Rundell novel, and the cover drew me in. Katherine Rundell has been a good author to pick up when I'm in the mood for a fun middle-grade, and I'm hoping that this will be exactly that. 
The Good Thieves follows Vita who, alongside a pick-pocket and her new circus friends, creates a plan to take back her grandfather's estate from a powerful, real-estate tycoon. The plan is to break into the house, steal back what's rightfully her grandfather's, and expose the tycoon for the criminal he really is. But 1920s Manhattan is full of secrets. And it might take more than Vita's gang of misfit chums outsmart the city that never sleeps. 
This sounds like a book that never goes the way you might expect, and I am extremely excited to see what will go on in this fun- centred adventure. 

5. Lawless Spaces, by Corey Ann Haydu 

This was one of the books included in my anticipated releases post for January-March 2022 and it was the one that seemed most appealing this month. I'm not going to lie, it sounds like it's got a few serious themes within this book, so if you are considering picking this up, read the blurb and have a think about whether this book really is for you. 

"Mimi's relationship with her mother has always been difficult. But lately, her mother has been acting more withdrawn than usual, leaving Mimi to navigate the tricky world of turning sixteen alone. What she doesn’t expect is her mother’s advice to start journaling—just like all the woman in her family before her. It’s a tradition, she says. Expected.

But Mimi takes to poetry and with it, a way to write down the realities of growing into a woman, the pains of online bullying, and the new experiences of having a boyfriend. And all in the shadows of a sexual assault case that is everywhere on the news—a case that seems to specifically rattle her mother.

Trying to understand her place in the world, Mimi dives into the uncovered journals of her grandmother, great-grandmother, and beyond. She immerses herself in each of their lives, learns of their painful stories and their beautiful sprits. And as Mimi grows closer to each of these women, she starts to forge her own path. But it isn’t until her mother’s story comes to light that Mimi learns about the unyielding bonds of family and the relentless spirit of womanhood." 

This sounds like a very messy and emotional book, but also a very hopeful one. I can only remember one book that sparks anything similar to this, and since it's been donkey's years since I've read it, I think this is the time to read something new. Genuinely intrigued to see what I think of this. 

6. Paperweight, by Meg Haston 

This book has been on my "Want to read" shelf for three years now, and it's time I get to this. It follows Stevie who, having just arrived at a lockdown eating disorder clinic in Mexico, feels trapped. Her father has paid for 60 days of treatment, 60 days of being watched and challenged not to eat the foods she's suffered for so long to avoid. 

What nobody but Stevie knows is that Stevie doesn't plan to stay as long as she's meant to. Because it's only 27 days since the anniversary of her brother's death, a death she caused. But if Stevie gets her way, then after 27 days, she too will end her life.

From what I've heard of this, Paperweight is a devastating tear-jerker, much like You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone. Honestly, I'm really hoping it is like that book, because there's nothing I love more than these types of books. 

I've never heard anyone even mention this book on Booktube but I'm hoping this'll be kind of like a diamond in the rough. I hope I'm right. I guess I'll see. 

7. Still Alice, by Lisa Genova 

So, it looks like sensitive books with tough-to-stomach themes is what I'll be reading this month because there are a lot of them on this TBR! Honestly I have no idea why I've added so many of these kinds of books on this list for March, but I know I've heard fantastic things (for all but one- Paperweight is a gut instinct) for all of these books. 

Honestly, I didn't even need to read the blurb to know what this is about. I'd heard about what it was about when I heard about the film and even though I've never watched the film, or read this book yet, I know enough from what people have told me to be a bit nervous about tackling this book. Because I know it's on another level of emotionally messed up than anything else on this TBR can even hope to achieve. 

And if you have not even the slightest inkling about what the heck this book is about, I can tell you that it's about a fifty-year-old professor that's diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's disease. 

So yeah, this book is going to be devastating. 

I know I'm going to enjoy. And be devastated of course. 



Okay! Those are all the books that I'm hoping to read this month! 

As always, it's slightly ambitious, but I really hope I can get to all of them. 

As always, feel free to comment below what you plan to read this month, and we can chat about them. 

I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon!

Byeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment