Friday 24 November 2023

Favourite Audiobooks 2.0!

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I was scrolling through some of my old posts on Post Pandemonium, and I came across one listing my Favourite Audiobooks. And so I thought, why not do an update on that? It might be fun to see if some of my old favourites still make the list? 

So, without further ado, let's jump right in! 

I hope you enjoy it. 


So, I tend to use Audiobooks as a method of convenience. If I'm struggling with the physical copy of a book, I'll download the audiobook. It helps me to see how long the next chapter or part is, especially if it's a chunky one. 

Other than that, if a book's out of print, or just not accessable when I want it, or in my local bookshop, I'll download it. Other than that, I'll download the audiobook for a specific reason (which you'll see with some of these favourites). 


1. Becoming, by Michelle Obama 

This book is one of the specific reasons. The physical book was mega expensive at the time, but the main reason I got this was that Michelle herself had narrated the book. Still to this day I find that I connect with an autobiography a whole lot more when I'm hearing the words from the horse's mouth. It makes it so much easier to feel what the author is speaking about, through the emotion in their voice. 

What's my reason for picking this up? To be honest, I was intrigued. I'd heard Michelle was a kind, caring and intelligent female, and an inspiration to black people everywhere. 

Becoming is a memoir about Michelle's successes and disappointments, both private and public, and it was wonderful to see inside her mind, even if it was several years ago. This one still shapes up as an absolute favourite! 


2. Daisy Jones and the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid 

Orchestrated with a number of narratives, this was the perfectly constructed audiobooks, because Daisy Jones and the Six is first and foremost, a series of interview accounts from the band members of Daisy Jones and the Six, as well as a few other token members surrounding the band. 

Totally gripping story, sometimes with conflicting accounts, made for a hugely entertaining read. 

It takes place in the swinging sixties, following Daisy as her voice gets noticed, and she goes on a journey of a lifetime with her band- it follows the highes and lowes, the sex, the drugs, and the times- all in black and white. 


3. Salem's Lot, by Stephen King

This book is for sure, one of the creepiest books I've ever read, purely because I listened to the audiobook. I don't think I would have been half as creeped out as I was if I'd read a paperback. Salem's Lot is the stuff of nightmares guys. If it was ever to come second to another horror book, the only one I would consider to even light a candle to it, is It, another of Stephen King's masterpieces. Just, if you're in the mood for a scare, then pick this up. It's not terribly long and drawn out, but it doesn't need to be. Loved this. 

4. Where Am I Now?, by Mara Wilson 

To say that I was inspired by a film that Mara Wilson starred in when I was young is what I would call a huge understatement. Of course, I'm talking about Matilda. 

But ever since a post on my Facebook Feed about the role Robert DeNiro played in that film, and what he did for Mara's family growing up appeared on my screen, I couldn't stop thinking about this autobiography. (I also wanted to see how Mara Wilson grew from a child actor to the inspirational speaker she is now.) Going into it, I thought I had an idea about what I would find within this book. And although I was right, this book was so much more. It deals with body issues, first kisses, the pressure of fame (amongst other things) with frankly, an extremely candid voice. 

Such a poignant and honest book that I would love to re-read again. 

5. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue (Montague Siblings #1), by Mackenzie Lee

Sick of never finding this book in any of my local bookshops, I finally opted for the audiobook. I was looking for a funny, historical fiction LGBT romance, and that's exactly what I got. The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue was an instant hit on booktube and I was a part of the hype from the very first chapter. It's been three years since I've read this, and I still think about it from time to time (and how I need to re-read it, because the third and final book in the trilogy has been sat on Audible for at least a year). 
But honestly, what made this book stick out for me was the wonderful writing by Mackenzie Lee, Monty's character arc, and his relationnship with his best-friend Percy. 

I can't wait to re-read this soon and re-immerse myself in this amazing series, starcing with Monty's story. 


Okay! Those are my current favourite audiobooks! I was hoping for some variety, but honestly, I know what I like, so I guess there's something to be said for that! 
I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeee guys! 

-Abi xxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment