Monday 15 June 2020

Anticipated Book Releases (July-September 2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And because we're halfway through June, it's time for the next Anticipated Releases post! Most of these are in September, but there's still a couple in July and August, so enjoy!

July Releases
1. Loveless, by Alice Oseman
Release date: 9/7/20
Having read all of Alice Oseman's books a few months back, I'm firmly on the bandwagon with anything she writes, because I know it'll be wonderfully written, with fantastic characters, and at least some LGBTQIA representation. Loveless is Georgia, who even though she has never had a fleeting romance, or even a crush, is out to find what her definition of love is. As she starts university with her friends (can I just say that I love that this takes place in University, by the way), she forms a "romance plan" to find what she's always been looking for. But when her plan goes disastrously wrong, she starts to question, why love seems to be so easy for everyone but her. With terms like asexual and aromantic, Georgia is more confused than ever. Is she destined to remain loveless? Or has she just been looking for the wrong thing for all this time? I can't wait for the next Alice Oseman book to be released, and thankfully, I don't have to wait long. And I know I'm not alone in this, because book for Alice Oseman and her LGBT reads always gather the largest amount of hype in the Booktube community.


2. Deal With the Devil (Mercenary Librarians #1), by Kit Rocha
Release date: 28/7/20
I stumbled across this when doing research for this post. I already have an extensive TBR for the series I want to start, but this one looks kind of interesting. Also, the opening line for this on it's Goodreads page is that it's a mix of Orphan Black and post apocalyptic Avengers. I haven't read an apocalyptic story in ages, and there's something about this that just stands out. In a world where the US collapsed 45 years ago, for most of the people that remain, survival is the only thing that's important. At any cost. Our protagonist Nina, is an information broker with a mission: to bring hope to the darkest corners of Atlanta. She and her team of mercenary librarians work to use their knowledge to help those in need. But altruism doesn't pay the bills- the real money is in the business of raiding vaults and swapping secret information. Knox is the leader of the Silver Devils, an elite strike squad that chose to go AWOL, rather than slaughter innocents. Before the Devils leave town for good, they need a biochem hacker, to stabilize the experimental implants that grant their superhuman abilities. Only their hacker has been kidnapped, and the ransom for her return is Nina. The bait- information that could set up Nina and her team up for years... if they live that long. This is the first I've heard from this dynamic duo, but from the comments on the page, they have quite a following, so I'm intrigued. Because of the amount of new releases on this list, I might not get to it straight away, but I'll give it a shot.   



August Releases
1. Midnight Sun (Twilight #5), by Stephenie Meyer
Release date: 4/8/20
Who isn't excited for this? We've literally been waiting for this book to be announced for over a decade. This is Twilight, from Edward's perspective, if you didn't know. I'm assuming this is going to be just the one book from this POV, but you can never be sure with Stephenie Meyer. From what I've seen from the comments on Goodreads, people are having moral battles with themselves as for whether to pick it up. But like with The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, this is too largely hyped a book for me to not at least give it a chance. Of course, I probably won't enjoy it as much as I would if I was still 12, but let's not judge it before I at least read it.


2. Six Angry Girls, by Adrienne Kisner
Release date: 18/8/20
This sounds like something I haven't read before, and I'm excited to see what I think about it. You jump from two POV's; Raina Petree, whose basically crushing her last school year, until she's dumped by her long-term boyfriend, and (basically) kicked out of the drama club, the college of her dreams slips away, and her arch-nemesis triumphs. The other POV is Miller Goodwin. Her father treats her like a servant, and the all boy Mock-trial team votes her out, even after she spent three years helping to build it's success. Bur after Raina finds new purpose in knitting needles and a politically active yarn barn, the two of them team up, and recruit four other angry girls to not only take on the Mock Trials, but to smash patriarchy in the process. This sounds like an epic book to say the least, full of feminism and politics, and I can't wait to pick this up. I've also never read a book that has the Mock Trial in it as one of it's themes so I'm looking forward to learning more about that as it's a subject I don't know a whole lot about.   


2. Now That I've Found You, by Kristina Forest
Release date: 25/8/20
Evie Jones is the next upcoming superstar that can never soar high enough. Until a close friend's betrayal leads to her being blacklisted. Fortunately, Evie knows exactly what she needs to do to get back into the spotlight. Organize a public event with America's most loved actress- her grandmother, Gigi, aka Evelyn Conaway. Then disaster strikes: days away from her public event, her grandmother does the unthinkable- she disappears. With her career on the line and time running out, she enlists the help of Milo Williams, who was the last person to see her before she disappeared.  As Evie conducts a wild manhunt with Milo, a stranger she's not totally sure she can trust, romance and adventure abounds while Evie makes some surprising discoveries about her grandmother- and herself. I've read very few books about a manhunt round New York, and it's very unlikely that I'll get to go any time soon, so I may as well read about it. Now That I've Found You sounds like a whale of a time, and I hope it's fast paced and fun, and that's really all I'm expecting from it.



September Releases
1. Punching the Air, by Ibi Zoboi
Release date: 1/9/20
Punching the Air is about Amal Shahid, a boy who, even in a Diverse art school, is seen as disruptive and unmotivated. But after one fateful night, an altercation in a gentrifying neighbourhood (an argument in a neighbourhood that's being changed), he's convicted of a crime he didn't commit, at 16 years old. Told in verse, Punching the Air is a story that Ibi Zoboi and Yusef Salaam collaborated on, to make what we see before us. It is high time I read a book purely in verse, and I'm excited that it'll be this one. From what I've seen on Goodreads, this has got nothing but fantastic reviews, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it just as much as them.  


2. These Vengeful Hearts, by Katherine Laurin
Release date: 8/9/20
The Red Court do favours... But every request comes at a cost. And once the dead is done, you're forever in their debt. Whenever something scandalous happens at Heller High, The Red Court are always the name on everyone's lips. Their identities a secret, only revealed to The Queen of Hearts herself, The Red Court consists of the most elite females of the school- and what they do is deal out favours and social ruin in equal measure. These Vengeful Hearts is about sixteen-year-old Ember Williams, who has seen what The Red Court can do- two years ago, they caused the accident that left her sister paralysed. So, she has a goal- to take them down from the inside. But taking down The Red Court will come at a price- will the cost of revenge be more than she's willing to sacrifice? I have to admit, this sounds kind of like Pretty Little Liars, a bit like the One of Us Is Lying series, but like there's something more to it. All I know is, it sounds dark and obsessive, and I am all for it.


3. Grown, by Tiffany D. Jackson
Release date: 15/9/20
Grown is about seventeen-year-old Enchanted Jones, who loves to sing. While auditioning for a singing competition, she meets Korey Fields, an R&B superstar that tells her he can make her dreams come through. At first, Enchanted is dazzled by his luxurious lifestyle and his fabulous life- but then her dreams turn into a nightmare. Behind the dark side, there's rage and an overwhelming need for control- with consequences. And then Korey Fields is dead, and Enchanted is left with no memory of the night before, and blood on her hands. Nobody- not the police, or Korey's fans included- has more questions than her. But now the police are at the door. Who killed Korey Fields? All signs point to Enchanted. Okay, first off: from the ARC reviews on Goodreads, there are a few trigger warnings for this, which include: rape, abuse (mental, physical, and emotional), child endangerment, drug use, sexual assault, mental health, suicide. So if any of those are triggers for you, please think about whether this is a book that you should read. What I didn't know about this was that it's meant to be a loose narrative of the stories and allegations surrounding R. Kelly. I'm not sure what my feelings are towards this book yet, but I definitely think it's an important book to read, and I'm definitely going to do that.    


4. Early Departures, by Justin A. Reynolds
Release date: 22/9/20
Having read Justin A. Reynold's debut novel Opposite of Always last year, when I heard he was releasing another novel, I eagerly added it to my anticipated releases list for the year. Early Departures is about Jamal, and about him trying to making it up to Q (his past best-friend) before he dies (he doesn't know that he's about to die.) Even more complicated, they haven't been best-friends since Jamal's parents died in a car accident, and Jamal thought Q was to blame. But after Jamal saves him from drowning, only to have him die later on in hospital, a new Health-care technology is giving Q a second chance to live for a while, before he dies... permanently. But grief is hard to shake, and he can't tell Q why he suddenly wants to be best-friends again, so how can Jamal fix his friendship with Q if he can't tell him the truth? I have to admit, that was hard, especially figuring out who was who (if that makes sense.) Hopefully it'll be easier to tell in the book. But Early Departures sounds about as fun yet serious as Opposite of Always, and if it's half as good as that book was, I'm thinking I'll have a lot of fun with this.


5. Skyhunter (Skyhunter #1),  by Marie Lu
Release date: 29/9/20
At this point I would read Marie Lu's shopping lists. She is at the top of my autobuy authors list (alongside Derek Landy.) Skyhunter takes place on Mara, one of the few remaining places that the Karensa Federation hasn't brought to it's knees. Robbed of her voice and home, Talin knows firsthand the brutality of the federation, she is now a part of The Legendary Strikers, an elite fighting force trained to fight the mutant beasts the Federation call Ghosts (they're what are sent to destroy Mara.) Yet this team refuse to give up hope. Until a devastating attack seems like this is the end... just when it seems like there's no choice but to succumb, a mysterious prisoner is brought in from the front. Is he a spy from the Federation? Or will he be the person that just might save them all? Obviously there's more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. This reminds me a bit of Skyward, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Marie Lu spins this new series. And that cover is just gorgeous. Just a few months away.

Okay, those are all the releases I'm looking forward to. I hope you all have a wonderful afternoon/ evening, wherever you are, and continue to stay safe.
See you all soon, byeeeee!

-Abi

No comments:

Post a Comment