Wednesday 7 October 2020

October TBR (2020)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And it's finally October! Which means cozy jumpers, pumpkin spice and best of all- all the atmospheric, spooky and autumnal books! 

This month I've constructed together a spooky and atmospheric list of books I want to attempt- and I've been waiting ages for this month, so I'm quite excited! 


1. Letters from the Lighthouse, by Emma Carroll 
I picked this up randomly at the Walkers Bookshop in Stamford the other day, and because I'm fresh out of books from the 24 hour readathon I partook in on Monday, it's now the only book I have in my possession at the moment, Letters from the Lighthouse is my current read. It's quite a rare find, as it's a historical fiction middle-grade. It's won a few awards, so I'm quite excited by it. It's about twelve-year-old Olive, who can't remember anything other than a bomb blast, a chance encounter and her mother's coat- the day her sister Sukie went missing. With London unsafe, Olive and her brother are evacuated to the Devonshire coast to stay. But Olive has a mystery to solve: she finds a strange coded note with seems to link Sukie to Devon, and something dark and dangerous. But what? I've become quite intrigued by this, and the font is quite large. I'm looking forward to getting to this. 

2. Misery, by Stephen King 

This sounds like a Stephen King novel that's right up my street. A hostage situation between a best-selling author and a crazed fan that didn't like the way he concluded the series. I don't know anything more than that, but the synopsis is so simple, yet so compelling that I can't help but feel entranced. Misery was the first Stephen King novel that came to mind when I was thinking about which one I wanted to try first from my Stephen King TBR that I posted a couple of months ago. I might try and pick up more Stephen King in the upcoming months, but this one has my full attention at the moment. 

3. Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman 

Well, I'd say that the title just about explains it! Good Omens is a collaboration between authors Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, two authors that I've read little by. I read Stardust just last month, and I've never read anything by Terry Pratchett, so I'm excited to see what I think! Knowing me, if I like this enough, I'll start to watch the show afterwards. As far as I'm aware, Good Omens is what happens when the end of the world is actually about to happen. It follows an angel and a demon that are trying to stop that very event, and from what I've seen, it's meant to be really funny, so let's see what I think about it!  

4. Saga, by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples - As many volumes as I can

I started this series on Sunday, and 24 hours later, I've finished the first three volumes. I'm aware how difficult it'll be to collect the whole series, especially as the authors are taking a hiatus at the moment, but that just means I have a chance to catch up on the series! If you didn't know, Saga is an adult fantasy graphic novel series, and I've been meaning to start the series for the past couple of years now, so I'm very happy that I've been pursing it in the way that I have recently. Saga can be very blunt about it's imagery (and by that I mean, there has been nudity in each of the last volumes that I've picked up), so if you're not okay with seeing random naked bodies every so often, maybe give this one a miss! 

5. Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1), by Jay Kristoff
Another series I've been wanting to read for a couple of years now. And I'm determined to finish it this year. All I know is, it's dark and violent and full of fantasy. I don't know much else, but I do know that it's perfect for this time of year. There is also an assassin school, and I am very much looking forward to reading about that. This series has quite the hype, so I can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

Okay! That's it for my TBR for the month! I would have added something extra- but I don't know how many Saga volumes I'll be able to get through! 
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you all (maybe Friday- if not Monday!)
Byeeeeee! 

-Abi xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment