Thursday 1 October 2020

September Wrap Up (2020)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And somehow, we've come to the end of September! I have no idea how it's gone by so fast, but here's what I read! 

I hope you enjoy it! 

~BOOKS~

I read a total of 8 books this month, and I am very happy with that number, especially as it's one more than I thought I was going to be able to finish. Without further ado, here's what I read! 

1. Cinderella is Dead, by Kalynn Bayron 

I was very excited to read this, because of the hype. It was showing up in every book haul I was seeing around it's release, and I was intrigued about the premise. But although it was an enjoyable read, one full of secrets and adventure, I didn't love it as much as I thought I would. If you didn't know, Cinderella is Dead takes place 200 years after the fairytale takes place. Now, once all the young women reach the age of 16, they have to attend the royal ball to find a gentleman to marry. They have 3 chances to find a suitor, or they disappear, never to be seen again. This was an enjoyable read, but it could have been better. 3.5 stars. 

2. Stardust, by Neil Gaiman 

At 194 pages, I thought I'd be able to finish this in 2 days at the most. It took me 5 days to finish. I don't know if it was the writing, or what, but I found it really difficult to get through. This won't be the last Neil Gaiman book I attempt, but it was definitely discouraging for the rest of his work. Average for me unfortunately. 3 stars. 

3. Hunted, by Meagan Spooner 

I listened to this on the way to Boston, Lincolnshire halfway through the month. Hunted had been on my Audible TBR for over a year, so I decided to stick it on the end for the list in September. It had been a while since I'd read a retelling (other than Cinderella is Dead) so I was excited to see if this was what the premise described, (where Beauty is a hunter, looking to find her father and kill the beast), and it turned out that it was so much more than that. The characters were fleshed out, you could feel the mystery beneath the words, and it only made me want to keep reading more. If you're in the mood for a compelling Beauty and the Beast retelling, I recommend this. 

4. Rooftoppers, by Katherine Rundell 

Having read The Wolf Wilder, a middle-grade novel by Katherine Rundell a couple of years previously, when I saw Rooftoppers, I couldn't resist. It tells the story of young Sophie, a child who was told her mother died when she was a baby, sets foot upon the rooftops with a boy who can walk the chimneys with ease, to prove everyone wrong. Rooftoppers is a wayward story that will have your heart in your mouth at some point, and smiling in adoration in others. Highly recommend for a quick middle-grade. 3.5 stars. 

5. The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig 

My 60th Goodreads book! I bought this on my birthday, and I'd already finished it 3 days later. The Midnight Library resides between life and death, and it gives people the chance to see where their life would have gone if they'd made different choices. It was both an interesting concept, and book, and very easy to fall into. If you think you'll find this interesting at all, I highly recommend it. It's a fantastic story, full of surprises and twist directions. 5 stars.  

6. Midnight Sun (Twilight #5), by Stephenie Meyer 

After how long it took me to read Stardust, I was dredding picking this up, because I thought it would take me ages. But as it turns out, I managed to complete it in 6 days, despite it being over 750 pages long. Although I know that the relationship that is the centre of this book is not in any way healthy, I found that I preferred reading about Edward's perspective more so than Bella's. I liked finding out more about the cullen family in this, particularly Emmett, because he definitely seemed to kind of fade into the background in the original Twilight. 4.5 stars. 


7. Nick and Charlie (Solitaire #1.5), by Alice Oseman 

Nick and Charlie didn't take me long at all, which wasn't surprising, as it's only 159 pages, and I'm always eager to revisit Nick and Charlie's relationship. It takes place two years after Heartstopper Volume Three, and it follows my favourite couple during the summer before Nick leaves for University. One thing I will say is that, even in under 200 pages, Alice Oseman can still create a wonderful story, with a plot-line, and all my favourite characters. Very quick, but well-written story that leaves me eager for Heartstopper Volume Four next year. 

8. Punching the Air, by Ibi Zoboi 

I read Punching the Air in basically the same amount of time as Nick and Charlie, but it's a completely different book. Saying that this book is devastatingly powerful wouldn't even cover a snippet for how emotional it is behind the words. This is a book that needs to be read by the world because it's the real life events of Yusef Salaam of the Exonerated Five, who was wrongfully accused and set to prison for a crime he didn't commit. I was close to sobbing when reading this, and I will shout to the rooftops, every opportunity I have, that the world needs to read this book. I'm so happy it's out in the world. 

Okay! That's my September TBR (2020)! I hope you enjoy it, and let me know in the comments, what you all read in September! 
I will be back with my TBR next week, so I hope you have a good weekend full of reading! 
Byeee!

-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment