Friday 25 September 2020

Graphic Novels TBR (2020)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And because I'm due to start the graphic novel series Saga soon, I've become aware of some other graphic novels that I would like to try. So, I've accumulated a list. Here's my Graphic Novel TBR (2020!)

Enjoy! 

Series'

1. Saga (Volumes 1-8), by Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples 

This had to be the first one on this list because it's going to be the first series I attempt. Saga is about two soldiers from opposing sides of a never-ending war fall in love, and risking everything to bring a child of new into the age old universe they live in. This is my first science fiction/ fantasy graphic novel series I will be attempting. It will also be my first adult series too, so I have no expectations going into this. I'm excited to see what I encounter going into this. 

2. Fence (Volumes 1-4), by C.S. Pacat & Johanna the Mad 

I heard about this series when I was reading the Heartstopper series, by Alice Oseman. Everything I've heard about Fence convinces me that I need to pick it up soon. An LGBT graphic novel series with a competitive sport too! Count me in! Also, I don't think I've ever read a series about fencing, so I'm excited to start this. 

3. Amulet series (Volumes 1-8) by Kazu Kibuishi 

The Amulet series is about two children, Emily and Navin. After losing their dad, the two siblings move with their mother to their deceased great-grandfather's house, which turns out to be dangerous when a sinister creature lures their mother through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world fraught with demons. It's all they can do to stay alive, but will they ever find their mother? This sounds like an intriguing middle grade series, and although I might not get to this for a while, my interest is rooted deep, so I will for sure be getting to it soon. 

4. Skyward trilogy (Volumes 1-3- finished), by Joe Henderson 

The Skyward trilogy is only that, a trilogy. Which means that if I really commit to it, I could finish the whole thing in a couple of days. This is the graphic novel that I know the least about on this list, but even just based off the cover, its about a world with very little gravity. Based on the blurb, I now know that it follows a character called Willa Flower, who was born just before the world's gravity plummeted. There's also a mysterious plot, crafted by her father, to restore the level of gravity, which she might just get mixed up in! Now, that blurb has me very intrigued, and I'm looking forward to checking it out!


5. Check, Please (Volumes 1/2- Finished), by Ngozi Ukazu

I found out about this one too, when I found out about Heartstopper. Another LGBT series that has a sport thrown in, but this time it's Hockey! This also seems to have more of a Heartstopper vibe: cute, with a challenge, but not as intense as Fence. Aside from that, it's only a duology! From everywhere I've searched, I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews, so I'm eager to get my hands on this coming-of-age duology! 

6. Paper Girls (Volumes 1-6), by Brian K. Vaughan, Matthew Wilson & Jared K. Fletcher
As far as I know, this is about four girls, who run a town newspaper, and come across a story of a lifetime. Based on the non spoilers reviews on Goodreads, the story goes all ET, and although I know squat about this series, of course I'm going to put Brian K. Vaughan's other well known series on this list. Based entirely on the cover, I think I'm going to enjoy reading about these characters.  

Standalones

1. Nimona, by Noelle Stevenson 

What draws me to Nimona, is the fact that it's written from the POV of the villain. And that intrigues me like you wouldn't believe. It sounds epic, and dark, and there's a clear goal right there in the blurb. This is the story of Nimona, a woman with a talent for shapeshifting, and Lord Ballister Blackheart, and their mission to prove that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are. But as small acts of mischief turn into a vicious war, Nimona's wild side might not tip the scales in their favour, but might be their undoing. This has been on my radar for a good long while, and it's time I get to it!  

2. We Are Okay, by Nina LaCour 

Again, another graphic novel that's been on my radar for a while, but I feel like I need to be in the right mindset for it, because it discusses some heavy subjects. Yet it sounds like something completely different to anything else in this list. We Are Okay is about Marin, a girl who has run from her home town with just her phone, her purse and a picture of her mother. But when her friend Mabel visits, she is forced to confront all that she thinks she has left behind. I'll reach for this when I'm in the mood to cry, because it sure sounds like a tearjerker. 


Okay! Those are all the Graphic Novels I want to get to in the near future! I hope you enjoyed, and let me know in the comments whether you are into graphic novels, and what your favourites are! 

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and I'll see you all with my wrap up next week! 

Byeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx  

No comments:

Post a Comment