Thursday 17 September 2020

Birthday Book Haul

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And it was my birthday on the 14th, so I got a truck-load of books! 

Here's what I bought! 


1. Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle #1), by Jay Kristoff 

 
Finally! I've actually been wanting to get this book for the longest time, but I haven't because other books took priority. But now I have it! I'm planning on picking it up soon (after my CR and Midnight Sun because I still haven't got to it!) But as The Nevernight Chronicle trilogy is on my Series' TBR for the year, I know for sure that I will definitely be getting to this soon. I don't know much about this- that's the way I want to keep it- but I know that it's dark and gothic, it has assassins in it, and the hype is huge for this series. 

2. The Midnight Library, by Matt Haig 

I got this on Monday. Started it yesterday, and I've got about 100 pages left. If you don't know, The Midnight Library is where you go when you're between life and death, and it gives you a chance to see where your life would have gone if you had made different choices throughout your life. I got sucked in straight away, and I wasn't able to put it down after that. I already love this, and even though I haven't finished it yet, I highly recommend. 


3. Punching the Air, by Ibi Zoboi 

I knew I wanted to read this as soon as I heard about it. The Exonerated 5 isn't something I'm terribly familiar with (though I'm researching as I write this.) But I haven't seen one negative review on Goodreads yet, so you can bet that I'll be getting to this as soon as I can. Punching the Air is the story of Yusef Salaam who, even at a diverse art school, is seen as a disruption. Then one fateful night, he is wrongly accused of a crime he didn't commit, and sent to prison. At just sixteen years old, Salaam's future as a poet and an artist is upended, seemingly forever. This should have never been his story- but can he change it? So excited to read this. 

4. Nick and Charlie (Solitaire #1.5), by Alice Oseman 
A completely different pace to the previous book, I picked up Nick and Charlie because it's been on my radar for a while, it's not terribly long and you can never get enough Nick and Charlie, can you? It's going to be a long wait until Heartstopper Volume Four is out, and this'll be a nice placeholder for me, while I wait for May to roll around. It takes place two years after the most recent Heartstopper volume, and it centres around Nick heading off to university, and the question of whether Nick and Charlie's relationship will withstand long distance. This promises to be cute, and I can't wait to start reading about one of my favourite couples once more! 

5. Beach Read, by Emily Henry 
This caught my eye when I was on the lookout for Kristin Hannah's book The Nightingale, but once I saw it, I couldn't get it out of my head. Beach Read has been floating round Booktube for a while now, and I decided to give it a try. If you didn't know, Beach Read is about two writers- each with writer's block. They each have to come up with bestselling stories by the end of the summer. The challenge: write a story from the other person's genre, and see who becomes published first. What could go wrong? I rarely read adult romance, and this looks like it could be a fun novel to pick up amidst all the fantasy I'll no doubt be reading in the upcoming months, so I'm looking forward to picking this up. 

6. Alice (The Chronicles of Alice #1), by Christina Henry 
7. Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice #2), by Christina Henry 
All the books from here on-wards are currently on order, because they weren't in my current Waterstones. The Alice Chronicles is the final TBR Jar Challenge I have for the year, and I've specifically waited for October to roll around so I can be in the Halloween mood for it- I've heard it's insanely dark and creepy- and it's suddenly only two weeks away! I don't know a huge amount about the duology, just that it starts in a hospital full of souls, which is also where Alice resides. After a fire provides the distraction she needs to escape, and she begins to search for clues as for what got her to the hospital in the first place (all she remembers is a tea party, long ears, and blood...) I absolutely adored The Girl in Red by Christina Henry last year, and I am so excited to sink my teeth into this duology, and I hope to do that next month. 

8. Saga: Vol 1 (Saga #1) by Brian K. Vaughan (Writer) & 
Fiona Staples (Artist)

Another book I've finally ordered! I mean to be fair, this is a graphic novel (but it still counts as a book), and honestly, I'll probably pick this up as soon as I have it in my hands, because of how quickly I'll be able to fly through it. Saga has been on my TBR for literally years, and this is the year that I finally catch up on the series! I've heard its very unique, that it combines Sci-fi and fantasy together seamlessly, and to be honest I haven't heard a bad review yet. I'll definitely be getting to this soon. 

Okay! That's my book haul! I hope you enjoyed it, comment below if you want to talk about any of the books mentioned! 
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you next week! 
Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx








2 comments:

  1. These are awesome books! Enjoy and happy birthday! Beach Read has been on my TBR for a really long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! When I've finished Beach Read, you'll be able to see my thoughts on here!

      Delete