Wednesday 25 August 2021

Audrey, by Sean- Paul Thomas

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And today I'm back with a review! 

I was approached by Sean-Paul Thomas on Goodreads, and I agreed to review Thomas' new book Audrey, in exchange for a free copy. 

So, without further ado, enjoy! 

Title: Audrey 
Author: Sean-Paul Thomas 
Genre: Contemporary
Status: Standalone
Pages: 190 
Blurb: "Just out of prison, a young builder and aspiring writer meets a washed-up, middle-aged French film actress who tries to help him win back his estranged daughter by getting his screenplay made into a movie in Paris." 

My Thoughts
Before I decided to pick this up, I decided to take a look at Audrey's Goodreads page. I was surprised to discover that most of the people that have reviewed this, have read at least one book already by Sean-Paul Thomas. But now, having read this, I can see why. 

I rarely read something that flows so well. 
Every chapter felt like it fit well into the story, nothing felt rushed or unnecessary. 

What drove the book forward was the characters, which I have no complaints about. They were rich and full of life, and although I couldn't picture them in the world that we live in, they felt like the world was them when I was reading about them. It was so easy to like or hate the characters that I couldn't help but getting and staying invested in the story. I never once felt bored reading this. 

The story mainly centred round Joe, the fresh-out-of-prison plummer and secret writer, who is desperate to show that he is fit to see his daughter again, and Audrey, the middle-aged, heavy-smoker french actress that stumbles upon Joe's rough draft by accident, and agrees to try and help him get the script published and produced. 
First things first, I absolutely loved Joe as a character. Or more, I love that his only goal, his only motivation is to get his life together in order to see his child again. It's so refreshing to read about, I couldn't help but love him. He's smart, considerate, loyal, but will jump into a fight to protect his friends in an instant. He's had a bad past but he seems ready to turn a corner make himself a life, despite being at a low point at the start. Such a wonderful protagonist. 
Next up, Audrey. Such a feisty french mistress. Incredibly loyal and friendly, charismatic and intelligent, and will go to the end of the earth to do something for someone she's close to. Honestly, at the end of this book, I wasn't ready to say goodbye. If there was another book written about Audrey, and her struggle in the film industry, both as an actress and a writer, I would 100% read it. 
Audrey and Joe were what made the story. Their relationship was my favourite aspect of this story, even over Joe's turning a corner. It was the bread and butter. 

The plot was simple, but it was packed full of surprising, endearing and honest, funny and light moments that had me giggling at times, or clenching my fists in others. This story takes you on a roundabout route of emotions, and I enjoyed feeling every one of them. 

Overall, a fantastically written book that I would gladly read over and over. The only critique I have is that everything kind of seemed to happen to easily. I wish it hadn't taken quite so little time for Joe's manuscript to be taken notice of. 
But other than that, a very very high standard. I flew through this, and I'm already considering picking up another one of Sean-Paul's works soon. Highly recommend this amazing piece of work. 


Okay! That's my review of Audrey! I hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to comment down below what you thought if you've read it, or if you'll be picking it up soon! 
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment