Thursday 21 April 2022

Books 11-20 of 2022

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back, having a look at some of the books I've read recently. 

I figured it was best I got to this now, before I'm halfway to the next one. 

Without further ado, enjoy! 


11. These Deadly Games, by Diana Urban 

Another twisty-turny book by Diana Urban. Every chapter there's a new rule or plot twist and just when you think you've got some idea of what's going on, she pulls the rug out from under you again. In this one, we follow Crystal Donovan in a deadly game of follow these instructions, and her sister, who the mysterious person has captive, will survive. At first the instructions are seemingly harmless- steal some tests, bake brownies, until they turn out to have horrific consequences. Was not surprised at all how much I enjoyed this one, Diana Urban is fast becoming an auto-buy author. 

12. Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1), by Natasha Nyan 

13. Girls of Shadow and Storm (Girls of Paper and Fire #2), by Natasha Nyan 

14. Girls of Fate and Fury (Girls of Paper and Fire #3), by Natasha Nyan 

After remembering very little about books 1 & 2, I wanted to re-read them before diving head first into Girls of Fate and Fury, and realising that I had no idea who any of the characters were. Honestly, I don't regret it one bit. As history has shown, I tend to enjoy the last book a whole lot more after re-emerging into a series from the start and this was no different. There was lots of fighting, characters I loved unfortunately killed off, (which was like bits of my heart being torn off) but honestly, I'm satisfied with the end. Absolutely outstanding series overall. 

15. The Good Thieves, by Katherine Rundell 

After an epic fantasty series finished, I needed a change in pace. The Good Thieves is a fun, light-hearted read about a bunch of misfit kids, trying to get back Vita's grandfather's emereld after a businessman scammed him. The relationship between Vita, her mother and her grandfather are the sweetest and heartfelt relationships, and I love the humour and the adventures that these quick-witted friends get up to. Another solid book by Katherine Rundell. 

16. Paperweight, by Meg Haston 

Paperweight, one of the books on my "Want to read" shelf. Until I read it last month, that is. It follows Stevie, who has been checked into an eating disorder institution in New Mexico. The first thing I will say is that it's an incredibly heavy book. There are a lot of trigger warnings attatched, such as: anorexia, bulimia, suicide, survivor's guilt, self halm, toxic relationships, mental health problems, family issues. But if you are able to read about all of those things, then this book is incredibly freeing. You'll feel lighter than air when you finish. Very blunt and raw novel (that's negative in the beginning, but turns good as the book progresses). 

17. Still Alice, by Lisa Genova 

Yep, another "Want to Read" shelf book. Although it's very sad, as it was always going to be when it's about a Harvard professor that's diagnosed with early onset alzheimers'; it's also inspiring. (More one particular scene is inspiring, and the rest is very sad, but still.) It's going to be my mission to get my family members to read this book now because although it's the most read book on Goodreads so far this year, nobody I know in real life has read this. 
It makes me want them to read it, because it's so well-written, feels very realistic, and now that I've read the book I will definitely be watching the film soon. 

18. Pride and Penulties, by Chris Higgins

This was just something to read between finishing Still Alice, and my next read arriving in the post. Chris Higgins' books were my comfort reads in my teens, I have a selection of six that I like to read when I'm stuck in a reading slump, or I'm waiting for a book to arrive in the post. Pride and Penulties was what I just felt like reading the most. It's about a girl Charlotte, and all she wants is to make her dad take her seriously as a female rugby player. I love some of the ideas introduced in this book: that you can be a boy that likes theatre, that you can be a girl who plays rugby, but can also be feminine at the same time, that if you have a goal, and no matter what other people might think, if you work hard for it, you can achieve it. 
That's just one of the reasons why I keep coming back to it I guess. But whatever, Chris Higgins' books are always fantastic.  

19. The Exact Opposite of Okay (The Exact Opposite of Okay #1), by Laura Steven 

20. A Girl Called Shameless (The Exact Opposite of Okay #2), by Laura Steven 

I have a series review for these two books, which you can check out here (for all my in-depth thoughts) but the first word that I would use to describe these two is phenomenal. I have no idea why I waited so long to read them but alas, I finally have, and they'll most certainly make my Favourites list for the end of 2022. 

Okay! Those are the books that I've read recently! I hope you enjoyed reading the post, and feel free to comment what you've been reading, down below! 
I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeeee! 

-Abi xxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment