Tuesday 27 December 2022

Favourite Books of 2022

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm here with my Favourite Books of 2022! 

There aren't that many this year, but still enough to do this post! 

I hope you enjoy it. 


2.1. Off the Record, by Camryn Garrett

As you can see, I have a full review (linked into the title) if you wish to see more of my in-depth thoughts but ultimately, this was a powerful, sensitive and compelling novel about a writer that wins the competition of a lifetime (a chance to write a profile for a rising movie star) and finds herself following a story where a series of actresses have struggled to come forward to talk about their experiences with a certain director. Trigger warnings for body image, sexual assualt, anxiety, depression, amongst others. 
This was one of my anticipated releases from a couple of years ago, and as soon as I saw it in a Waterstones in London, I picked it up straight away. Of course I loved it. 


2. Carrie Soto is Back, by Taylor Jenkins-Reid 
Finally! A book about tennis! This was everything I was expecting and more. Carrie Soto is Back is about Carrie's rise to fame as a child, teenager, and then her comeback when, seven years after retirement, one of her records is threatened. It's cut-throat, compelling, and you get the feeling that Carrie is more than just the battle-axe that she is known for. Carrie was a truly wonderful person to read about, and I loved how accurate the world of tennis felt (even though I have no idea whether it is actually like that). 


3. I'm Glad My Mom Died, by Jennette McCurdy 
Growing up, iCarly was one of my favourite shows to watch, coming in from school. Like everyone, I was genuinely surprised to discover the atrocities that Jenette's mother committed, forcing her daughter into the limelight, and then everything that stemmed from that relationship. This account, coming from the actress herself was 100%  honest and I'm so happy that Jenette was brave enough to confront everything that happened to her. 


4. Flight (Flight #1), by Vanessa Harbour
I never actually meant to read this. Purely by accident I picked up the second book in the duology, found out it was the 2nd book, and promptly downloaded Flight onto my Kindle. Three days later, and I've already finished book 1. 
Wonderful read. It's a middle grade set at the end of WWII, so there's the perfect balance of scary chapters, because of the war, but the right amount of light-hearted breaks and humour. I really wish I could go back to the start of this and read it for the first time, with fresh eyes again. I just want to gobble the children up, they're so well-written and fleshed out. Absolutely top class book. 

5. I Was Born For This, by Alice Oseman
I can't believe I nearly forgot about this! It was great to be able to pick up my last Alice Oseman book, and I think because I knew this would be the last one that I picked up before Heartstopper Vol 5, which comes out next year, I savoured it all the more. I'm not going to say it's my absolute favourite Alice Oseman book, because I don't have a favourite (I love them all equally) but it definitely holds it's own. It introduces the idea that singers and celebrities can experience anxiety and depression and although I was aware that that was the case beforehand, it's refreshing to read about that in a YA novel. Highly recommend Alice's novels if you haven't picked them up yet guys. 

6. Illegal, by Eoin Colfer & Andrew Donkin
Illegal tells the story of a young boy, making the journey across Africa in the hope of reuniting with his older brother, after he awakes to find him gone. Such a simple premise, I found this in a comic book shop in Romford when I went for my birthday, and read it the day I bought it. Hopeful and realistic, especially of the poverty-stricken world that Ebo must survive in day after day. So happy I picked this up (especially after seeing how much they were charging for this elsewhere.) 


Okay! Those are my Favourite Books of 2022! 
I hope you enjoyed reading about them, and as always, feel free to comment what your favourites of the year were too! 
I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon with my 2022 Wrap Up!
Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment