Tuesday 3 January 2023

2022 Wrap Up

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And this is my 2022 Wrap Up. 
I hope you enjoy it. 


~Books Read in December~

Honestly, there weren't many that I finished this month, mainly because I wasn't trying to read as much as I could- due to having already completed my Goodreads Reading Challenge in November- and I'm actually glad for it. I actually only read 2 books this month and I've made my peace with that- it just means I have lots to read going into this month! (And I'm still excited for them all!) 

1. Nothing More To Tell, by Karen M. McManus 

The latest in Karen M. McManus' ever growing list of novels. As usual, excellent writing style, very easy to fall into, and I think this might be my favourite of the lot so far. I think it was because I was genuinely on tenterhooks, excited to find out what happened next. If I have one critique of her stories that I've read is that there's always so much packed in within the story, that I find I'm not able to care about the characters much, which means I'm not that motivated to find out what happens to them. That wasn't the case with this one though. I loved one of the protagonists of the book, Brynn, because she felt a lot like myself. Curious, intellectual, at least a little bit stubborn, and willing to sacrifice a lot to get to the truth. Karen M. McManus just keeps getting better guys. 

2. The First to Die at the End, by Adam Silvera
This took me so much longer to read than I thought it would. And if it was any other story, I know I would have at least considered giving up on this book. But honestly, I never once got tired of reading about Valentino and Orion, and their day-long relationship, even though I knew there would only ever be one ending. This book may look long, but it genuinely didn't feel like 550 pages. Every chapter felt like it was needed in this book, even the two page ones from random characters, didn't feel like it was unnecessary. Highly recommend this book guys. 


~Series Completed in 2022~
1. The "Trials of Apollo" series, by Rick Riordan 
I finally caught up on all the Rick Riordan series'! I know this was back at the start of the year, but even now I can remember the relief I felt when I finish them all. 
Though saying that, it was a pleasure to read through Rick Riordan's works, and learn more about Greek, Roman and Norse mythology (and although I will never read through all of them again, I will definitely be picking up a couple of them in the future. 

2. The "What If It's Us" duology, by Adam Silvera

Absolutely loved this duology. Think I loved their collaboratory works more so than their singular novels if I'm honest. Might have to re-read this duology if I'm feeling starved for romance in February, because the characters are just too cute. 
Pretty simple premise, LGBT romance, set in New York. Although I typically don't tend to go for books with that vague a storyline, I knew I would love these, without a shadow of a doubt. 
I love the story that these two amazing authors have built together, and I very much hope that this isn't the end of their collabs together. 

3. The "Girls of Paper and Fire" trilogy, by Natasha Ngan 
An explosive series about two paper girls (specially selected girls (amongst ten others) that are brought to the castle for the King's demonic pleasure- I shudder at the word) building alliances to overthrow the King. Set in a vast fantastical world, this series starts off small, with a simple premise, but builds into something so much more than these two characters. There are some upsetting scenes, and for victtims of abuse and sexual assualt, I would think twice about picking this up, but it is a truly amazing series, and one that I wish I could read with fresh eyes again. 

4. The "Izzy O' Neill" duology, by Laura Steven

Absolutely loved these. When photos are leaked of Izzy O' Neill doing the dirty with a politician's sun, she's subjected to every form of abuse you could think of. Izzy can try and laugh it off, and she never denies anything because well- they have the photos to prove it- but just keeping her head above water might just seem like the hardest thing she's had to do. 
Even though this series if several years old, these are books that discuss topics that are relevant today. Never before have I read something so raw and realistic- because what happens in this series, is very accurate to what would happen today. 
Totally inspiring and wonderful to read about. 


5. The "Skulduggery Pleasant" series, by Derek Landy 
Finally. 
The last damn book. 
Never mind that there was a sentence stating that SP would return. (Always suspected that it might be a prequel by the way.) 
I've finished the whole fucking series. 
All of it. In one full re-read (that took like three months but whatever.) 
I cannot begin to describe how much love I have for this series. Outstandingly obnoxious characters, so much banter, outrageous powers and tricks, deadly villains, and sky-high stakes. 
Perfection. 

6. The "Flight" duology, by Vanessa Harbour 

Stumbled upon this duology purely by accident. So happy I did. Set in 1945, at the end of WWII. Following Izzy and Jakob, as they harbour horses to safety. Likeable characters, heavy story (without being too heavy as they are middlegrades). If you want to read about a different side to the World War, but still want to be able to laugh and smile, then pick up this duology. Jakob and Izzy are exceptionally written and I can't wait to read more of Vanessa's work. 


~Series I Started and Caught Up On~
1. The "Saga" Graphic Novel series- Finished Vol. 10- Up to date. 

That's literally it. 


I started off really strong in the first half of the year, reading something like four series' in five months. And then I took a nosedip and read a bunch of standalones, which of course I don't regret (though I wish I'd read my usual 7 series). 
But I'm hoping that I'll be able to read a lot more series' in the upcoming year (it's why my Goodreads goal is so low- I want the chance to read all the huge fantasy series I've been meaning to get to). 


~What I Achieved in 2022~
1. I finished saving! (Just need the Solicitor fees now :'-( - so moving out in 2023)! 

2. Finally got some seconds off my 5K PB (one second off from sub 23 now- will I ever get it)? 

3. Finished Goodreads Reading Challenge- on to next year! 


~What I'm Looking Forward to in 2023~
1. Finally getting a mortgage and moving out. 

2. Running PB's- eyeing up the 10K this year. 

3. Reading all the big fantasy series! 

4. Posting more! I need to get my head in gear on that! 

5. Talking to you all! 



Okay! That is my 2022 Wrap Up! 
I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope I gave this last year a good send off! 
Here's to good fortune in 2023! 
I hope you have a lovely evening and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment