Friday 6 January 2023

January TBR (2023)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back- in 2023! A part of me has almost de-sensitised from the fact that it's a new year, or maybe I just don't care because not much is planned yet, but here we are, on the flip side! 

But before I jump in with another monthly TBR, I want to mention something. I've set myself a pretty low Goodreads reading challenge this year- 12 books in total. (And to be honest, half of those will be graphic novels.) But that's because I don't want to have to worry about finishing a number of books and not enjoying them- just chugging along with the reading count. 

(Also, this will be the year that I take on all those ambitious fantasy series', because last year was pretty disasterous.)

And that's all I have to say. 

I hope you enjoy my TBR. 


1. Just Saying: My Life in Words, by Malorie Blackman 

Kicking the year off with the book that I was anticipating purchasing the second I heard about it. Malorie Blackman wrote the Noughts and Crosses series (amongst others), which has been my absolute favourite series since I was thirteen years old and I was absolutely thrilled when I found out about her autobiography. I'm currently 100 pages away from finishing this and I am absolutely loving it. Her autobiography gives you an insight into what it was like for her growing up, finding her way in the world, despite being suppressed and ignored as a black female. It's so inspiring. 


2. All the Life is Strange Graphic Novels, by Emma Vieceli 

Includes: 

1. Dust 

2. Waves

3. Strings

4. Partners in Crime: Tracks 

5. Coming Home

6. Settling Dust

I've ordered the fifth and sixth volumes, and I'm ready. I've been spreading these volumes over the past six months, and I'm taking the Saga method and re-reading the volumes I've already finished and marathoning it all- start to finish. 

The Life is Strange graphic novel series takes place one year after the events of the game, following Max and Chloe making their return to Arcadia Bay for a reunion. Long story short, weird things start happening to Max and she finds herself thrust to an alternate reality. Her ultimate goal is to get back to Chloe and the rest of her friends. 


3. Dr. Jerkyll and Mr. Hyde with other tales and fables, by Robert L. Stevenson

When I saw this in a Grimsby market stall, I knew I just had to have it. (I thought it was the full novel.) Of course I'm not that annoyed that it turned out to be Dr. Jerkyll and Mr. Hyde and other short stories, but I wish it could have been the full novel. 
It'll still be nice to read through it, because it's been so long since I've had anything to do with this novel- it was a discussion novel for my GCSE English class and I loved it. I love the fact that it's a Wordsworth Collector's Edition too. 


4. Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, by Gabrielle Zevin 
Yep, it's on here again. I will read this book in January, let the writing gods condemn me if I don't. (Or at least start it.) I wanted to finish this in time to vote for it for the Goodreads Awards (it won by the way). This book has been blurbed by some amazing authors like John Green, and Erin Morgenstern, it's loved by the nation. There's no way I'm not going to love this book. 
I thought I knew what this book was about, two people being poached to stardom by creating a videogame when they meet in a hospital. But there are so many different versions of this story, that I can find either on my own copy or online, that I don't even want to try and explain it. 
I'll just go with- I don't know much about it, so I'm just gonna read it and find out for myself. 


5. Where Am I Now?, by Mara Wilson 
And it's back onto the monthly TBR. I might read this straight after the Malorie Blackman autobiography, just to have it read because it is ridiculous how many times I've tacked this on the end of my TBR's. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. 
I want to read this book so much. I want to hear the recording. I want the firsthand account of what Mara Wilson's childhood was like, being whisked into celebrity status at the age of nine. I want to read about her and Danny DeVito and whether they're still friendly today. I want to know all of this, and it's all in the contents of this book. This is the book I want to read most badly this month. I will find the time for it. 


Okay! Those are the books I plan to read in the month of January. Quite a selection for this month but I'm excited to get to all of these. 
Right, I hope you have a wonderful day, and feel free to comment whatever it is you guys will be reading this month. 
See you soon. 
Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment