Sunday 15 January 2023

What I Plan to Read in 2023

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And today I will be writing about what I plan to read in 2023. 

(Without having to worry about my Goodreads Reading Challenge.)

    I have a couple of specific series' in mind, but I'll get to those in a minute. 

Without further ado, enjoy guys.  


~Read some huge fantasy series~

This is the year to start some of the fantasy series that I haven't had the chance to start until now. Maybe I'll go with a few trilogies to ease my way back in. 

Some of the few that I want to get to are: 

1. The Poppy War, by R. F. Kuang 

The Poppy War has been on my Want to Read shelf since 2018, when I first heard about the series. The covers are gorgeous, the stories are cutthroat (from what I hear) and I am ready for them. What I know of The Poppy War is that it follows Rin, a student at Academics, as a student, for the first half and then when she graduates, a soldier at war. It holds themes for addiction, war and violence, and there's a huge magic system too. It sounds phenomenal, and it'll likely be the first fantasy series I pick up this year. 

2. The Green Bone Saga, by Fonda Lee 

What I know about this series is, it's a battle of power. There are politics, greedy behavior, struggle and voilence as gangs/ companies fight for the right for jade (gives the owners, with the right training, superhuman abilities). It's sleasy and ruthless and I really want to devour the words within these books. 

3. The Daevabad Trilogy, by S.A. Chakraborty 

Everytime I walk into a Waterstones, or other bookshop, the cover of City of Brass is always staring me straight in the face. I really don't think there'll be much resistance in buying this series, especially when I want to pick them up so much. 

We follow Nahri, a conwoman who deals in tea leaves and fortune telling, all the while knowing that none of it is real, just a way to get money from the locals- until she summons a darkly mysterious djinn warrior during one of her cons. Only then does she start to consider that maybe, just maybe, magic does exist. Taking her first steps into this mystical world, she sees it for what it really is: a world seeking true power, a world that is deadly and consequential. After all, there's meaning behind the saying, be careful what you wish for. 

~Re-read some gems~

I've listed the novels I want to re-read by genre, because a lot of these are from the same genre, and they're all seriously in the need for a re-read, to be quite honest. 

Historical Fictions

1. The Mercies, by Kiran Millwood Hargrave 

2. The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

3. The Book Thief, by Marcus Zusak 

4. The Light Between Oceans, by M.L. Steadman



I read each of these between 2-4 years ago and I've always meant to go back to them, but always been swamped with new series and genres that I wanted to explore. This selection all have very harsh themes, but they've all stirred up a hugh amount of emotion when I've been reading them, and there are very few books that have been able to do that for me. The prospect of re-reading these amazing books make me so excited, I genuinely can't wait. 

Contemporaries

5. The Hate U Give, by Angie Thomas 

6. Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell 

7. Theatrical, by Maggie Harcourt

8. Eliza and her Monsters, by Francesca Zappia

9. My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult


Again, solid favourites of mine that I haven't read in a few years, that I'm eager to pick up. These have a slightly lighter tone (for the most part) than the historical fictions and I'm thinking I'll pick up most of these in the spring, (or February if they're romances).

Other

9. The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon 

I read this back in January 2020, and although that feels like yesterday, the prequel has come out recently, and it just makes sense to read this after the prequel, because genuinely, it was just that good. 

There are so many amazing characters in this book, and storylines that I can't wait to read about again. There are dragons, battling, fighting, and some gentle characters that wouldn't even think to do any of those things. There's never a boring moment in this novel and I'm extremely excited to return to this world once more. 


Okay! And that is my list (that I hope to accomplish) for the year! 

As always, feel free to comment what your reading plans are for the year, it'll be nice to hear them! 

I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon! 

Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment