Monday 23 January 2023

Ancitipated Releases (January- March 2023)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And we're just gonna pretend that January isn't nearly over already and just read on. 

I'll just pretend I'm writing this in December. 

I have a few books on this list, and I'm excited to share them all. 

I hope you enjoy it. 


January

1. Friday I'm in Love, by Camryn Garrett 

Release date: 10/01/2023

Mahalia Harris wants many things. She wants a sweet sixteen party like her friend Naomi. She wants a cute girl like Siobhan to like her, in the way that Mahalia does. She wants the snide comments from the ladies at her church to stop. Mahalia wants many things. 
But when a sweet sixteen party for Mahalia Harris becomes impossible, inspiration strikes. What if she has a coming out party? A chance to celebrate her queerness on her own terms. 
Saving every possible penny from afterschool job, awkwardly flirting with Siobhan- all in preparation could all go pearshaped when she finds herself six feet under with unpaid bills, unfinished school work, and enough drama to make her English teacher blush, will her coming out party be over before it's even begun?

I read Off the Record in September last year and absolutely loved it. This sounds like an entirely different pace. It's more fun contemporary, an absolute perfect book for spring. I'm looking forward to seeing how I feel about it. 

2. Good for a Girl, by Lauren Fleshman 

Release date: 10/01/2023

Honestly, even though I have no idea who Lauren Fleshman is (being from the UK) when I heard about this book, I knew it needed to be added to my list of anticipated releases. (I'll do some research before picking this up.) 
I've already downloaded this onto my audible account, and this will be perfect for the next time I need to get some ironing/ polishing done. 
Fleshman's autobiography offers a unique perspective, both as a professional athlete and as a coach, of a women, in a man's sport. She sees the way the system fails young women, as well as empowering them. Girls drop out at an alarming rate during and after puberty, and collegiate athletes routinely fall victim to devastating injuries and eating disorders, their mental health in ruines. 
More and more I've heard of women runners that I've admired, admitting online, about overcoming eating disorders, mental health problems, and I want to hear what Fleshman has to say. 
This sounds like a raw and honest book about running, and one that I have to read. 


3. All the Dangerous Things, by Stacy Willingham 

Release date: 10/01/2023

An adult thriller. Sort of different for me, but I'm going to take a chance on it. 
From the point of view of a mother, who lost her two-year-old son a year ago, while herself and her husband were sleeping in the next room. Aside from the occasional nap and blackout, Isabelle hasn't slept all year. With no other leads from the police, she agrees to be interviewed by a true-crime podcaster. But when he starts to dig a lot into her past, she starts to doubt her own memories of the disappearance. However, she is determined to find out the events that led to her child going missing... wherever it might lead. 

I love the synopsis for this. The unreliable narrator, the true-crime podcaster, the urgency to find out what happened to her son. I just love everything about this, and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. 

February

1. Heartstopper. Vol 5 (Heartstopper #5), by Alice Oseman 

Release date: 02/02/2023

I'm not ready for this series to end. I've devoured each and every volume, and I am in no way emotionally ready to say goodbye to these characters. 

Of course I will be re-reading every volume before I open up the fifth volume, to give it a proper send off. 

And even then I don't think I'll be ready. 


2. Chaos Theory, by Nic Stone 

Release date: 28/02/2023

A detached girl called Shelbi, transferred to Windward Academy as a senior, who figures she won't be here for very long so why bother making friends, and Andy Criddle, the son of a politician with an alcohol problem share a moment of connection. As that moment of connection becomes more, the more the past threatens to pull them apart. 
Chaos Theory is a story about living with grief, prioritizing mental health and finding love amidst chaos. 
I have never read a book by Nic Stone, but this one sure sounds like a good one to start with. 


3. A Day of Fallen Night (The Roots of Chaos #0), by Samantha Shannon 

Release date: 28/02/2023

I mentioned in my last post that I wanted to re-read The Priory of the Orange Tree because the prequel was due to be released soon. (Obviously I'll be reading this before that.) 
I honestly don't know much about this. Priory was such a large book, and I read it so long ago, it's like I'll be going back into this series with fresh eyes, and no idea of what connections I'll see between the characters that we meet in this prequel, and it's successor. 
I've only read the one book by Samantha Shannon so far, but even though I wouldn't call her an auto-buy author just yet, I know I'm going to be blown away by the quality of this book. 
Extremely excited to get my hands on a copy of this beast. 

March

1. Different for Boys, by Patrick Ness

Release date: 14/03/2023

Just from reading the synopsis, I know this book will be a punch to the gut. It follows Anthony 'Ant' as he navigates life as a queer boy, with the many questions he has about sex, friendship and masculinity. From the review and synopsis, this is meant to be an honest and intimate novel about a boy figuring out the outside world, himself, and his place in the world. 

I've read a few Patrick Ness books over the years, and honestly, I've never been able to fully connect with the story, much like some of Neil Gaiman's works. I'm hoping this'll be the one. 


Okay! Those are my Anticipated Releases for the next three months! If you have any anticipated releases that you want to share, feel free to do so in the comments! 
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeee! 

-Abi xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment