Sunday 31 March 2024

March Wrap Up (2024)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back with my wrap up for the month! 

(I genuinely thought this was going to be a one book wrap up at one point, but thankfully that's not the case!)

I hope you enjoy it, and don't forget to comment what books you all picked up at the bottom!


1. Love Ya, Babe, by Chris Higgins

I re-read this as a spur of the moment decision, when I wanted a quick read (after it felt like I wasn't getting anywhere with The Alfoxden and Grasmere Journals). Chris Higgins' books have always felt like books I can return to for a quick, engaging read that discusses important issues (especially for teenagers). 
Sometimes my Chris Higgins' book choice can be completely random, but honestly, it usually just tends to be the one that I feel like reading at the time. 
Love Ya, Babe is about Gabby, whose finding it hard to deal with her embarrasing mother Posy, and look after her brothers, as well as trying to figure out her feelings for her crush, Si, who also happens to be the subject of her best friend's feelings. All of this is chaotic enough, but when Gabby's older-than-average mother announces that she is pregnant, her life truly begins to spiral out of control. Can Gabby sort out her life in time for the new arrival? 
Love Ya, Babe deals with financial issues, identity issues, new family arrives, postpartum depression, growing up, breakups, and that's just to name a few! 
It was lovely to pick up an old favourite, and I definitely feel like I got my mojo back after speeding through this! 

2. The Alfoxden and Grasmere Journals, by Dorothy Wordsworth

I finished it! Two down, one to go! 

I might have said in my TBR that I hoped to fly through this. Yeah, I was kind of eating my words when I failed to finish this in a week. Instead, it took me the best part of the month. 

I still enjoyed it, quite a lot. I liked how the entries got longer and more detailed as I went on. I enjoyed the staccato one liners as much as the paragraphs about Dorothy's life with her brother and his late wife. It truly was a simple, nourishing and fulfilling life Dorothy led with her brother and it was wonderful to have an account of everything they got up to. 


3,4,5,6,7. Heartstopper Vol. 1-5 , by Alice Oseman 

After reading The Alfoxden and Grasmere Journals, I always planned to start The Burning God, the last book in The Poppy War trilogy. But I knew that if I persisted with it, I'd be pushing myself into a reading slump. So, I picked up the first book I thought of. 
Heartstopper. I'd had the fifth volume for three months, since Christmas, and I still hadn't picked it up. 
Never one to do things by half, I picked the first volume up and marathoned the entire series. 
Honestly, it was just what I needed, to fall in love with these wonderful characters and their love stories, all over again. Of course I loved the fifth volume, but I can feel Alice Oseman steering the story towards an emotional final volume, and I'm not ready for it (don't even know when it's out, does anyone else)? 
(Let me know in the comments if you do.) 

Okay! Those are all the books I finished in the month of March! I hope you enjoyed reading about them and, as always, feel free to comment what you got up to this month! 
I hope you have a wonderful evening, day or morning, wherever you are in the world, and I'll see you all soon! 

Byeeeee! 
-Abi xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment