Monday 26 June 2017

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1), by Kendare Blake

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I'm reviewing a book that I wish I could get all the editions, purely for the covers- Three Dark Crowns, by Kendare Blake!
Enjoy!

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns #1), by Kendare Blake
Title: Three Dark Crowns
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 20th September, 2016
Status: Book 1 in the trilogy? Series?
Pages: 407
Blurb: "IN EVERY GENERATION ON THE ISLAND OF FENNBIRD
A SET OF TRIPLETS IS BORN: THREE QUEENS
ALL EQUAL HEIRS TO THE CROWN,
ALL POSSESSED OF A COVETED MAGIC.

MIRABELLA, a fierce elemental, can spark hungry
flames with one click of a finger.
KATHARINE, a poisoner, is known to be resistant
to the deadliest of snake bites.
ARSINOE, a naturalist, is rumoured to have the
ability to bloom the reddest of roses.

But becoming the Queen Crowned is not just a matter of
royal birth. These three sisters must fight to the death for the
throne, and on the night they turn sixteen the battle begins.
Only one queen can inherit the crown.

WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON?"

My Thoughts
Going into this book, I admit, I was kind of apprehensive about what it was going to be like. I'd heard, leading up to it, that a pretty heavy theme in the book was politics, which I'm normally not keen on, which kind of gave me a bad idea about it. But I was thoroughly surprised, not just how much the political side added to the story, but how much I enjoyed the story overall.

If I had to describe this book in one word, I would use the word: Intense.
Just the way you jumped from each queen, and each kingdom was adamant that their kingdom was the one that was going to win the crown.
Also, the fact that each kingdom had flaws, secret meetings and doubt in the heads of each kingdom, meant that there was no clear winner among any of them kind of made me nervous, because I really didn't know which kingdom was going to come out on top.

I admit, there were a couple of problems, like it took a while for me to recognise each princess, since the story was jumping to all three kingdoms constantly, but this made the book very slow at the start, just because I was trying to get to grips with everything. And due to the slow start, I really had to fight to push past that slowness before plot twists started happening. But looking back, I'm really glad that I did because it picked up really fast after I got the gist of everything.

Now, plot. This book was actually the lead up to the fight to the death. And even though there wasn't much confrontation between the Queens, but there was certainly a lot concerning everything that wasn't about the Queens confronting. 

But I think what I loved the most about this book was that every chapter progressed a part of the book. And I was never bored, not in a single chapter. I was engrossed in every chapter, every character's backstory and personality and journey that before I knew it, the full beautiful, heart-wrenching story all about loyalty and secrecy and violence and depth was unfolding right before my eyes. What was so wonderful about these characters was that, even from the beginning, I knew only one could survive, yet I found myself in a constant battle trying to favour one over the others.

The magic was also extremely well crafted. They touched on the magic, though it wasn't the main focus, and Blake left just enough space to make for some more exploration of the magic in the second book, which I (for one) can't wait to read.

As for the ending, I was blown away. Literally blown away. The look on my face when I read the last sentence was stuck there for a good ten minutes after I finished the story. And when you finish this book, you will start to see the little holes that Kendare has deliberately written in to make you feel shocked at the end.

I would highly recommend this to fantasy lovers, as well as those that likes books about thrones and violence and a very dark undertone. And underdogs. And powers. And most things that happen to be in most fantasy books. Three Dark Crown has interesting characters, a world of drama and an intense lead up to a fight-to-the-death that promises to be absolutely amazing!

So that was my review of Three Dark Crowns, by Kendare Blake! I hope you enjoyed this review, and let me know in the comments if you did!
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in the series, and I can't wait for the second! (It's released 19th September, 2017 so only about two and a half months away!)
I hope you have had a wonderful day and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeee!

-Abi xxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment