Wednesday 6 September 2017

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1), by Cassandra Clare

Hey guys, this is Abi here,

And I didn't know what review I was going to do today. Going into today, I assumed that that review would be The Girl On The Train, but having already reviewed the film earlier this year, I'm thinking about maybe doing a comparison between the two. Let me know in the comments if that would be something you might be interested in seeing!

So today I am going to review Clockwork Angel, the first book in the Infernal Devices trilogy, which I read only last week!
I hope you enjoy it!

Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 31st August, 2010
Status: Book 1/3 in trilogy
Pages: 482
Blurb: "Magic is dangerous-
but love is more dangerous still
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray arrives in England during the reign
of Queen Victoria, something terrifying is waiting for her in London's
Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk
stalk the gaslit streets. Friendless and hunted, Tessa seeks refugee with
the Shadowhunters, a band of warriors dedicated to ridding the world
of demons. Drawn ever deeper into their world, she finds herself
fascinated by- and torn between- two best friends and quickly
realizes that love may be the most dangerous magic of all."

Can I just say that this is going to be so hard to keep this spoiler-free, but I will do my best!

My Thoughts
Going into this book, I did not know a great deal. I knew that it was set in London, in the 1800s. And I knew that most people prefer this trilogy to TMI.
And I have to say, I totally agree with them.
Although the Mortal Instruments started off with a bang, a big explosion that set the plot in motion for the rest of the book, what I liked about Clockwork Angel was that, although the events didn't hit you right away, the combination of how well written the characters were, and the scenes that had such an impact that you realised how they would affect the overall plot was what made Clockwork Angel better, in my opinion.

Also, although love triangles aren't usually my favourite thing, this one became part of the reason of why I loved this book so much. Instead of hindering the overall plot, it gave me, as a reader, a reason to love the characters even more.

One thing I would like to say is that even though I'm not the biggest fan of third person, it did actually give us more in the name of mystery and suspense.

Another aspect that I liked about this book was that I enjoyed every single chapter for one reason or another. I was never bored, and I never felt like a chapter had been added just for the heck of it. I feel like each chapter had a purpose, and each chapter hit the nail on the head.
And a big part of that was the pacing and the plot. Although it may seem a bit slow at first, the pacing picks up so fast by the second half, you'll soar through this book, and before you know what's hit you, you'll be finished and desperate for the second book.

Something else that I loved was the secret and discovery of what the hell Tessa is. Like even though all these other things are happening around her, Tessa is the key of all of it for reasons that nobody really knows. And finding out who we are is something that I think we all go through at some point in our lives, which makes her really easy to relate to.

Which brings me to my next point. THESE CHARACTERS. Far and away, my favourite part of all of it. Not just the main three, but all the secondary characters as well. I don't even dislike any of them (except maybe Jessamine and the villains). But Charlotte, Sophie, Henry, they all play their part in the story, and they all just add so much more to the story. 
There's also the thing that you think you know what's going to happen and then ONE OF THEM GOES AND DOES SOMETHING INCREDIBLY RECKLESS AND OR SMART AND... nearly gives you a heart-attack!  
God sake... these characters will be the end of me...

But overall, this is a lovely book, and I will definitely be reading and posting reviews for the rest of them. I can't wait to see what happens and I hope everyone survives...
*Fingers crossed*
(Though with a series like this, who knows? Oh wait, you guys do, because it's been out for seven years).

But that was my review of Clockwork Angel! I hope you enjoyed it, and I will be back on Friday with, maybe the Clockwork Prince review! Who knows?
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I will see you soon!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment