Wednesday 21 November 2018

Crimes of Grindelwald Film Review

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And on Saturday I went to see The Crimes of Grindelwald!
Happy to share my thoughts!
Enjoy!

One thing I will say about this film: It had a very different feeling to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, for a multitude of reasons.
1) Because it was the second film, we didn't need as much introduction as the first film. (As for character development throughout the rest of the film, I'll get to that later.)
2)From the first scene, the focus was on Grindelwald, and the plot-line, compared to Fantastic Beasts, where we meet Newt arriving in New York.
But overall, it was a decent film. As for whether I enjoyed it more or less than Fantastic Beasts, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.
So this review will be a bit of a debate.

On one hand, I liked the direction The Crimes of Grindelwald took, how we were keeping track of both Grindelwald and Scamander were doing at one time, so it was easy to follow the story.
On the other hand, what I was craving was the sweet character conversations that I grew to love the characters through in the first film. There were only a couple of those conversations in this movie, and I really noticed their absence.  
But in the absence of those conversation, a couple more characters were introduced that weren't in the first movie, that added an extra plotline to an already mysterious and dark plot. We were introduced to the young version of Albus Dumbledore, who was perfectly played by Jude Law, Newt's brother Thesis, and his fiancé, Leta Lestrange. Newt's relationship with both of the latter characters put a different spin into the overall story, which was personally one of my favourite parts.

Also, I liked that what was carried on from Fantastic Beasts was kept around in Crimes of Grindelwald. (I mean with both the Beasts capture and the obscurial plot.) The obscurial plotline was another plotline that was being weaved in and out of the story (all of these plotlines were very cleverly balanced out in my opinion). The capturing of the Beasts wasn't the main focus in this one, but it was still included, and it didn't feel forced, like it was added just for the sake of it.

Those are the positives.
Here are the things that I had a bit of a problem with:

Nothing was explained.
The film is titled "The Crimes of Grindelwald." But we don't get enough of Grindelwald's backstory, how he came to be the criminal he's known for today. I do however, get to find out what the characters mean when they say that Grindelwald is known as persuasive. Throughout the film, you get to see him show his true colours, and it's so interesting to see, especially as Dumbledore plays an integral part in his personality.

Also, the magic was a big one for me. There were certain spells that we've seen done a million times in the Harry Potter films in the past years. And then, they just go and change them! That was really irritating. I really hope they fix that.

Those are the only things.


So overall, I feel like this was an a really good second film, and all the plot points that we got to see in this film will come round in the next one, so it can be- incredible. (If that makes sense.)
If you get a chance to go and see this in 3D, I recommend it. It didn't add a whole lot to the film, but it's definitely better than it would have been if it was just 2D.

I hope you enjoyed this review, let me know in the comments what you thought and we can chat about it! You can access my review for Fantastic Beasts here.
Right! So that is my review, and that's going to do it for today! I hope you have a lovely day, and I will see you all on Friday!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment