Friday 10 May 2019

They Both Die at the End, by Adam Silvera

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I'm coming at you with a review.
I finished this a couple of hours and my head is full of thoughts about it, and I want to share those thought with you guys!
Enjoy!


Title: They Both Die at the End
Author: Adam Silvera
Genre: Hard-hitting contemporary
Release date: 5th September, 2017
Status: Standalone
Pages: 368
Blurb: "On September 5th, a little
after midnight, Death-cast calls
Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to
give them some bad news: they're going to
die today. Mateo and Rufus are total strangers,
but, for different reasons, they're both looking to
make a new friend on their End Day. The good news:
there's an app for that. It's called the Last Friend,
and through it, Rufus and Mateo are about to
meet up for one last great adventure- to live
a lifetime in a single day. "

My Thoughts
When I started this book, I don't know what I was expecting. I knew it wasn't going to be a happy novel because of the title, but I certainly wasn't expecting it to be like it was. First forty pages and I was already on the verge of tears (and because I was sitting in a café at the time it probably wasn't the best idea.)

At the start, I was really just trying to make sense of Death-cast and what the whole deal was with them. But as I got further along in the story, Death-cast kind of took a back seat as I was pulled into the story of Mateo and Rufus, living their last day together.

One thing that I liked about this book was that there wasn't too much or too little of anything. Character development, knowing who Rufus and Mateo were before they got the call; the characters, the relationships they have with each-other, everything is there, and they all balance each-other out perfectly to make for a well rounded story.

On top of that, although it was (admittedly) one of the saddest and emotionally punching stories I've read in a long time, I got through it so quickly. I started it yesterday morning and I finished it this afternoon. I opened the book on the first page and I was unable to put this book down after that.

Saying that, if grief, death and loss are trigger warnings for you, I urge you to think twice before picking this book because, even though it has the happy memory of "live each day like it's your last",
it's quite a heavy book.

I also liked the random POV's that kept cropping up every so often within the book. They were kind of just there, they didn't over-command the main plot, the relationship between Mateo and Rufus on their last day together, they just fit right into the story.

Overall, this was a sad, but wonderful story full of so many things, I'll probably start crying, or something if I start to mention all the moments that I wanted to cry throughout this book. And I'm really not a crier. Honestly, there are so many moments from this book that are skirting round my brain right now.
Just, read the book.
Because it is amazing.
Honestly, there's nothing like it.
The end.

Okay! That was my review on They Both Die at the End! Sorry it ended rather abruptly, but I couldn't think of any other way to end it.
Right, that's going to do it for today's post! I hope you enjoyed it and I'll see you soon.
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment