Thursday 27 June 2019

11-20 Books of 2019

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it's time to have a lookback at some of the books I've read recently!
Enjoy!


11. Nought Forever, by Malorie Blackman
(World book day book that takes place straight after the ending of Double Cross)
As I said at the top, Nought Forever takes place straight after Toby confronts McAuley in the warehouse. For those that have read the book, you'll know what that means. This short story is from Dan's POV, and I was so excited when I saw this in the World Book Day selection, especially as the first chapter of her upcoming book, Crossfire is also in the back! Anxiously awaiting 8/8/19.

12. Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer #2), by Laini Taylor

This was the second and final book in the Strange the Dreamer duology (though I might have heard that there is going to be a second book out?) When Strange the Dreamer was pushing the velvet, Muse of Nightmares tipped the whole thing up! Characters that I wasn't expecting to like became my favourite, and before I knew it, I'd finished the whole thing. Highly highly highly recommend this duology.

13. Pet Sematary, by Stephen King
I picked this up because my partner is really into horror films, but I actually turned out to really enjoy it. I didn't feel like any of it was rushed, and it was just the right pacing, the right amount of scary and regular moments. There also wasn't any of the horror tropes that you see in horror films in the current day. I recommend if you're looking for an entrance into the genre.

14. The Sun Is Also A Star, by Nicola Yoon
Hearing about this book, I wasn't immediately drawn in at first. I wasn't totally keen on the premise, and even more turned off by the hype. Now, after reading it, although I enjoyed it, I kind of proved myself right. The cover's beautiful, and I really want to see the film, because there were parts that I flew through. Overall it was disappointing.
15. The Beast Within
I actually thoroughly enjoyed this book. This is one of the many spin-off books that are from the POV of the villains in some of the more well-known Disney films. There's a Beauty and the Beast one, a novel from Snow White, Tangled, and others. It certainly puts a perspective on Beast in the lead up to the events of Beauty and the Beast. Recommend if you enjoy reading from bad guys' views, and watching Disney.

16. The Light Between Worlds, by Laura Weymouth
I picked this up purely because of the cover (and the synopsis, which is the barest minimum I research before picking up a book). All I needed to know was that it was a combination of magical realism and historical fiction and I was hooked. I haven't heard many people talking about this book, but if you're into either one of those genres then I recommend giving this one a chance. It's certainly interesting, with some subtle themes that you have to look for.

17. Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2), by Cassandra Clare
The second book in the trilogy and my favourite so far. I can't believe how quickly I flew through this, especially considering how large it is. Cassie Clare has written multiple books in the Shadowhunter world, and this is one of my favourite ones to date.

18. Crazy Rich Asians (Crazy Rich Asians #1), by Kevin Kwan
Honestly, this book surprised me! Even with the tiny font, I soared through this book and I am eager to pick up the second! The detail, the description, even though it's a bit wordy, the detail for the buildings are insane! If you like books that explore different cultures, different places then I highly recommend this book!
19. The 7  Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, by Stuart Turton
Although this took me a while to get through, every page every chapter was dripping with mystery. We're inside the brain of a person who will take on the physique of seven different characters. And with each of these people, he has to figure out one thing: who killed Evelyn Hardcastle? Absolutely worth the hype.

20. They Both Died at the End, by Adam Silvera
This was always going to be a depressing book. It's right there in the title. But it wasn't until I started to read it that I realised just how sad it would be. And Adam really knows how to make a reader nervous, which is probably one of the reasons why I enjoyed this so much. As well as the love I felt for those two boys.

Okay! Those are the books I've read recently! I hope you enjoyed it, and let me know in the comments if you've read any of these and what you thought of them!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment