Monday 14 October 2019

31-40 Books of 2019

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it's time for another look at some of the books that I've read recently!
I've currently read 43/52 books for my Goodreads reading challenge, so these will be the books that I've read up to the end of September!
Enjoy!


31. Heartstopper Volume 2, by Alice Oseman
This was just as amazing as volume 1! I flew through this book in just under an hour, and it's definitely going to be on my Favourites list for 2019! If you like heart-warming, funny graphic novels with an LGBT romance within it's pages, then this is the series for you. I seriously can't wait for Volume 3.  

32. Twilight (The Twilight Saga #1), by Stephanie Meyer
This was one of my selections for Reading-rush-a-thon. It had been a while since I had picked it up, and it fit a couple of the categories, so I decided to give it a re-read. And I'm so glad I did. If I feel like it, I might pick it up in the new year, (when I've read all the books I have on my TBR- I have 8 left.)
33. A Poison Dark & Drowning (Kingdom on Fire #2), by Jessica Cluess
The second book in the Kingdom on Fire trilogy. This is one of my TBR Jar Challenges for the year, and I'm still trying to read the third one so I can be done with this trilogy. (Do you ever feel like you want to be done with a series, but really don't want to pick it up? That's how I feel.) But this was a pretty decent book. We get to explore the world a little bit more, meet new people, and we find out a bit more about Henrietta's history and her heritage. Writing about this now, has actually got me in the mood to pick the third and final book in the trilogy. (Maybe I'll read it next.
34. The Surface Breaks, by Louise O' Neill
When I started this book, I didn't know what to expect. Based on the opinions on Goodreads, I knew some people loved this, others hated it. But having read it, I realise that some people might not have got the message behind the story. This is meant to be a feminist version of the Little Mermaid. I don't know if I would call it that, but it's definitely a lot darker, and more powerful than the Disney classic that we all have come to know.

35. Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1), by Natasha Ngan
Another book that I wasn't too sure about, going into it. I'd heard some mixed reviews, (but saying that, there are mixed reviews with any book.) Overall, even though there were some scenes that were very unsettling, other than that it was great. The character development wasn't the best, not much changed once you met all the girls, and what the aim of the book was, but what Natasha did really well was the building of the tension, particularly towards the end of the book. A solid read.
36. Dear Evan Hansen, by Val Emmich
Such a beautiful read. Having heard the soundtrack about a million times, I was more than eager to pick this up once I knew they were turning it into a book. And even though I imagine I'd be crying X100 if I was watching the show (it's come to the West End this October in fact.) This was such a beautiful book to read, the language, the lyrics were drafted beautifully into the novel. I'm so glad I picked it up.

37. Crossfire (Noughts & Crosses #5), by Malorie Blackman
It was absolutely fantastic to dive right into the world that Malorie Blackman created all those years ago. Even though some years have passed since the end of Double Cross, Crossfire fits right in with the other four. Everything came flooding back as soon as I read the first page, and it was wonderful to read about all of my favourites characters once more, along with a few new ones too. What's more, there's going to be another, so I really can't wait for that to be released!
38. Opposite of Always, by Justin A. Reynolds
To sum this book in one word: heart-wrenching. It's always hard to read about a person whose always the underdog, always close but never quite there. Well, we have to read about that multiple times in this book when Jack is just too late to save the girl he loves. Sometimes, you have to go through something more than once to learn how far you're willing to go. A very... unique read. (I promise, it's a lot less depressing than I'm making it sound. It's incredibly funny as well.)

39. Becoming, by Michelle Obama
One book that I absolutely have to insist you listen to this on Audiobook. There was just something special about hearing her talk about her story with such conviction. When she described what it was like living with her brother, and her parents, her education, and what eventually led to being the wife of the president. I can now say with some confidence, that Michelle Obama is a national treasure. Give it a read. You won't regret it.
40. Five Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns #4), by Kendare Blake
The fourth and final book in the Three Dark Crowns series. Also the final TBR Jar Challenge for the year. Although it wasn't my favourite throughout the series, it was still a decent ending to the series, and I'm satisfied with the ending. Being honest, I'm actually going to miss reading about these characters, even if they were all poised to kill each-other. What I liked about this series was how it became so much bigger than the three Queens fighting to rule. They were more than just strategizing to gain power for their party, they became real people. There was still a fair share of mystery, surprise twists and violence, but it was honestly such an amazing series. Highly recommend, and I can't wait to see what Kendare Blake writes next.

Okay! That's the end of the post, and that's going to do it for today!
If you've read any of these books, and want to talk about them, then let me know in the comments and we can chat about it!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete