Monday 23 December 2019

Favourite Books of 2019!!!!!!

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I'm writing about my favourite books of 2019! I've really enjoyed the books I've picked up in the past year, but I've narrowed it down to 8 books in total!
I hope you enjoy my favourite list!

1. The Light Between Worlds, by Laura Weymouth
I really enjoyed this book because not only does it balance historical fiction and magical realism, it discusses a lot of very real and difficult themes. It reads from the POV of two of four siblings, Evie and Phillipa, during their escape to the fantasy land as WWII wages around them. Time stops whilst they're at the fantasy land, and they eventually have to go back and live their lives from the point that they left them. But whilst Phillipa is ready to leave, Evie grows depressed as, with each passing day, she longs more and more for the world that they once used to live in. But the question is, did Evie ever make it back, or did she die in the attempt? It was very realistic to be in Evie's brain when she longed for that other land so if reading that kind of thing triggers you, I recommend being cautious if this book interests you.

2. The Girl in Red, by Christina Henry
I picked this up with knowing the minimum amount of information on what this book contained, and even though it wasn't what I was expecting it to be, I probably enjoyed it more because it wasn't what I was expecting. Even though I tend to like it when female heroines seem fearless and brave, it was so much easier to relate to Red because she thought things through, and she wasn't at her peak fitness (especially where her leg was concerned.) She has one goal throughout the course of the book, and she will make it there, no matter what stands in her way. I very much enjoyed The Girl in Red and am eager to pick up some of Christina Henry's other works in the upcoming year.

3. Eliza and her Monsters, by Francesca Zappia
This is probably my favourite out of this list. Eliza and her Monsters took my emotions on a rollercoaster. I had no idea how this was going to tie up, what shit was going to hit the fan, and when it did, whether I was going to survive because I was this hooked on the story. I would explain what this story is all about, but I think it's better to go into this book without knowing much about the story. But, if you like space, and tv shows, and fandoms, then I suggest you pick this book up soon.

4. Heartstopper. Volume 1 (Heartstopper #1), by Alice Oseman
5. Heartstopper. Volume 2 (Heartstopper #2), by Alice Oseman
THESE BOOKS ARE THE CUTEST THING EVER. My heart was beating inside my chest the entire time (first book) just wanting Nick to tell Charlie how he feels, and for Charlie not to get hurt in the process. Such a fast and wonderful read, it leaves me wanting more whenever I pick up one of these! Volume 3 comes out in February, and I can't wait to see these two lovebirds take on Paris and learn more about the way their story leads. Also, I love how on each of the characters profiles, you get to find out what Hogwarts' house they are!

6. Pumpkin Heads, by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks
This was the perfect Autumn read. It contains everything that I love about autumn and Halloween. Pumpkin, food (sweets and chocolate were substituted with the food stalls in the patch), hanging out with friends at night. Add a little bit of cuteness, fudge jokes and cuteness, and you could be describing this book. And it's an LGBT graphic novel on top of that. Anxiously awaiting a Christmas or an Easter version of this!  

7. Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2), by Cassandra Clare
Even though the other two counterparts to this trilogy didn't do much to keep me engaged, Lord of Shadows, I flew through in approximately a week. This book might have well have taken me by the scruff of the neck and banged my head against the wall because there were so many wonderful plots and subplots that my head was turning with theories and possibilities. And then, just when I thought everything was going to turn out alright for Emma, the Blackthorns and the other characters, that ending just knocked me clear out. (P.S. Some of the jokes are just so funny, I swear I bust a gut laughing.)

8. Becoming, by Michelle Obama
Somehow or other, I've found a way to sneak how much I love this book into a conversation recently. To my family, my colleagues, total strangers that I serve at work. I listened to the audiobook a couple of months ago and it was so wonderful to be taken on the journey by Michelle herself of what her life was, from her childhood, teenage years, university, working afterwards, meeting Obama, and finally becoming the first lady of USA. I don't think I understood how much our past can impact our future until I read this book, and I'm excited to pick up yet more autobiographies in the upcoming year.


Okay! That's my Favourite List of 2019! I hope you enjoyed it, and I hope to see what your favourite books of the year are, in the comments below!
I hope you have a wonderful Christmas & New Year, spending time with the people you love! Cherish those with you, because you never know how much time you have with them.
I will see you all soon, with my 2019 Wrap Up!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx  








No comments:

Post a Comment