Monday 24 February 2020

1-10 Books of 2020

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I honestly can't believe that it's not even past the 2 month mark and I've already finished 10 books. Granted, that is what I need to continue to do to reach my Goodreads goal for the year, but the fact that I'm still on track is quite satisfying!
So here are the books that I've been reading since the start of the year!

Enjoy!


1. The Librarian of Auschwitz, by Antonio Iturbe
Although this wasn't the most moving novel, like others in it's genre (such as Anne Frank's: The Diary of A Young Girl and The Book Thief, one thing I will say was that it a different type of novel. It was done from the inspiration of a researcher, searching for answers from a long ago experience, so it makes sense that, even though he did get the meet the person who was once known as The Librarian of Auschwitz, it wouldn't be as emotional as those books are. However, I will say that it was a new version of the hell-hole that was Auschwitz, and has definitely given me a lot more of a perspective on the horrors that accounted these people day after day, year after year. (Mature readers only, because of the heavy subjects within this book.)  

2. Daisy Jones and the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
This one absolutely knocked it out of the park. Daisy Jones and the Six is a book that is made up of a series of interviews, from all the members of the bands, and some of the people that were around them in the mid to late 70s. Listening to the audiobook didn't feel like I was listening to a manuscript, a novel. It felt like I was listening to the actual interview, which is why the whole Booktube community has been raving about it for the past six months. It was so interesting to hear everybody's own version of the events that centred around the mid to late 70s, especially as they all had their opinions about what they thought. I highly recommend this if you haven't had the chance to listen to this audiobook. Five stars.

3. The Priory of the Orange Tree, by Samantha Shannon
I have to admit, this took some work. To get through this day after day, I felt like I was slogging my guts out. But, with the right mindset, and the idea that I didn't have to keep reading once I'd reached my goal for the day. (Also, the music for revising really helped me to stay inside the story). The fact that the book was split into sections definitely helped, because it meant I had a clear goal that I needed to read to stay in track. I am pretty proud to say that I finished the majority of this book (bar about 30 pages or so) in the space of five days. The story was incredibly detailed, there was always something going on, and I loved the LGBT romance, the exploration of the world, the dragons, there wasn't much that I could fault it on, and nothing comes to mind at the top of my head. I know it's intimidating guys, but it's worth the read. I promise.

4. 13 Minutes, by Sarah Pinborough

13 Minutes reminds me of Pretty Little Liars, but on a grander, and crueller scale. When I think about the events that happen in this book, I can only hope that these sort of things don't happen in high school anymore. (I mean, I think the book is American, and these things probably don't happen- especially as there's murder and blackmail and devious plans to embarrass classmates) but I really hope not. I did however, really like the different ways in which pieces of the puzzle came together over the course of the book, it's always fun to see if you can connect the dots and try to sus out what's going on before everyone else does at the end of the book, and that was definitely the case with this one. (Even though most of the time this book had me on the ropes!) I definitely enjoyed this story a lot more than I thought I did, especially because, as the story went on, we discovered more and more about the characters, and all their secrets (which was probably the main reason why it kept me on my toes.) Highly recommend this, though for mature readers only.


5. Heartstopper Volume Three, (Heartstopper #3), by Alice Oseman
It feels like my heart grows for these characters more and more with each volume! In this volume, we get to see our two favourite boys travel to Paris and have lots of cute times with each- other! We also learn more about their friends, and some budding romances emerge, which I absolutely loved. Charlie and Nick learn more about each-other, and there are some conversations which are had, but you can find out about those when you read it! I just love how much queer rep is in this series, the only downfall is that I have to wait until 2021 until Volume Four! (I need more Alice Oseman- which is precisely why I've put some of her other books on my TBR Jar Challenge for the year!) Five stars. Highly highly highly recommend.

6. Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2), by Tomi Adeyemi
In the best way possibly I was quite disappointed with this book. Even though I finished this at the start of February, not a lot of it sticks in my mind. It just felt so annoying frustrating that it didn't seem to hold the attention that the first book so easily snatched. I know I'm not alone in this opinion, but I'm still hoping for redemption when the third book comes out, (though I have no idea when that is), because of how much I enjoyed the first book. Like Children of Blood and Bone, we read from both Zelie and Amari, so that hasn't changed. Also, even though I didn't quite love it as much as I enjoyed COBAB, that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy this book at all. I enjoyed how conflicted the characters were, the confrontations, the goal of trying to bring peace between the different clans, yet none of them ever seemed to catch a break. How, even though most of the novel was insanely fast paced, my eyes were soaring over the pages at times, in the need to find out what happens next, only to jump to the perspective you really don't want to read from. I rated this 3 stars.


7. The Light Between Oceans, by M.L Stedman
Unless they invent a rating higher than 5 stars on Goodreads and I read a lot books that measure up to be 6 stars, then I'm pretty sure that this is going to make an appearance in my Favourite Reads of 2020 at the end of the year. I am so happy that I decided to push the envelope and pick this up because it was just wonderful and horrible at the same time (like it pulled at my heartstrings horrible- as in it was amazing in that respect.) But think of how hard it would be to be told that the people who brought you up, the people that are your whole world, aren't actually your biological parents? The POV is from a couple that are all alone on an island, have been on and off for years, whilst they have also suffered from three miscarriages. If a baby appears on a boat, with no parents in sight, wouldn't you raise that child as your own. This book messed with my emotions, make no mistake. 5 stars.  


8. One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying #2), by Karen M. McManus
The scary thing about this novel: what takes place could actually happen. The premise of One of Us Is Next, is that a number of gossip sites have sprung up since what Simon died, a year and a half ago, even though none of them hold a candle to Simon. But something's about to change. Come on Bayview, you know you've missed this appears in the chat. Except this time, it's not an app- but a game. Truth or Dare- and if you don't do the dare, a dangerous truth will be revealed. We read from the POV's of Maeve, Phoebe and Knox. Some of the characters from the first book are featured, and it's great to see them in there, but it's nice that they've paved the way for some new characters that aren't unrelated to them, but enough that One of Us Is Next can be a completely new story. This is an easy read to fly through if you want something engaging, entertaining and high-staked story. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first book, but that's just my personal opinion. 3 stars.


9. Pride and Penalties, by Chris Higgins


I picked this up because I wanted something that would prevent me from falling into a reading slump, which I felt like I was headed for when I first picked up The Starless Sea (I've since fixed that and am hoping to steadily make my way through it.) I've always loved Chris Higgins' way of spinning a story, just the way she infuses mature issues and themes within her books with a light-hearted writing style. Even if you don't share the same interests as the protagonist, it's so easy to see at least some aspect of your own life within the lives of the characters in her book, I recommend Chris Higgins books to any young person that wants to get into teen/YA contemporary novels, there really isn't a better way to introduce yourself to the genre, in my opinion.


10. This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil #3), by Emily Suvada
I finished this last night and my mind is still reeling from how this trilogy came to it's end. From about half way through the second book I was curious as to how everything was going to fall in place, just because, I had no other series' to compare it to because the This Mortal Coil is completely different to anything I've read in the Sci-fi genre. I won't spoil anything because it is the third book in the trilogy, but the premise is that there's a war coming, between the civilians in the bunkers, Carataxus (an all powerful company that was created to make a vaccine that will cure the world of the virus that has plagued the surface for years) and the genehackers. However, someone is trying to manipulate the scenes, and start the war, because they want revenge. Jun Bei and Catarina are going head to head, trying to stop this war, though in different ways. The whole trilogy just screams intelligent from the get go and not once have I thought it wasn't engaging , or fast paced, or the development for any of the characters weren't advancing enough. If you like science fiction, and the science behind DNA and genes, then this is the trilogy for you.


Okay! That's all I have for today, so that's going to do it for today!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon towards the end of the week with my February Wrap Up! I hope you have a wonderful evening/afternoon depending on where you are in the world, and happy reading!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx  











2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's such a wonderful read! How did you read it? I definitely want to read more of her books in the future!

      Delete