Friday 28 February 2020

February Wrap Up (2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I've been super productive today so I wanted to continue with this post!
By the schedule, so how long it should take me to finish each book to complete my Goodreads reading challenge by the end of the year, I shouldn't finish 5 books this month, yet I've done that, and I've gone and finished my 6th one too!
Here's what I've been up to this month.


-BOOKS-
I've read a total of 6 books this month, (only because I finished a book on the 1st February though.)

1. Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha #2), by Tomi Adeyemi
This book didn't live up to my expectations. I should really have learnt by now, not to have expectations, even if I really enjoyed the first book in the series. Especially because of the chance of second book syndrome, which this one definitely had. But all is not lost. I will continue on to the third book in the series, in the hope that it picks up. We read from Zelie's and Amari's perspectives once more, each trying to bring to the lands, because although they achieved what they set out to do in the first book, all is not perfect once more. The cover is perfect, I love it so much.


2. The Light Between Oceans, by M.L Stedman
This book brought me to tears almost a number of times because even though you know what the main characters are doing is wrong, you hope that it's all going to end out well in the end. But what I love about this book is that it proves that what's right in a situation isn't always black and white. The Light Between Oceans tells the story of the only couple on a secluded island, who have suffered three miscarriages, scared and alone. Then, a baby turns up in a boat with a dead man. This one really questioned what I would do tasked with the question: would you do something that wasn't right to achieve the deepest dream of my heart? Which is what makes this book so interesting. I highly recommend the book, and I'm excited to see the film sometime soon.

3. One of Us Is Next, (One of Us Is Lying #2), by Karen M. McManus
Premise: Truth or Dare turned deadly. We follow people that helped find out what Simon was up to last time: Phoebe, Maeve and Knox. I wouldn't say I have a favourite character, however, I liked Maeve's backstory the most. It was my favourite Karen M. McManus' book to date, but I didn't hate it. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It just wasn't my favourite out of the three books that I've read. She's probably one of my autobuy authors at this point because her books are always full of mystery and intrigue, and I can always fly through them.  


4. Pride and Penalties, by Chris Higgins
I didn't really need to read this in hindsight, but because I was having such a hard time with The Starless Sea, I decided to quickly re-read this because, it's one of my favourite from my pre-teen days, and I own (most) of the Chris Higgins books. (There's maybe one of hers that I've read that I don't own.) What I love about her books is that she weaves in mature themes in her books, but with a light-hearted tone to them, so they're incredibly entertaining to read. Pride and Penalties is about Spider, whose only dreams are to play Rugby... and for her dad to be proud of her. But she is constantly overlooked by her brother Will, who has a secret. Even though he likes rugby, he wants to do theatre more. This book has some of my favourite themes are in this book, and they remain my favourite today. It was wonderful to read about these characters once more.  


5. This Vicious Cure (This Mortal Coil #3), by Emily Suvada
The first series I've finished this year! I've been reading this series since, I think it was 2017, because each book came out in September, the year after the first one. I have to admit, I wasn't sure how Suvada was going to be at concluding a series. But I will say that it wrapped up perfectly well, and I'm excited to see what she comes up with next. (Because this DNA/gene hacking/tech savvy trilogy was absolutely phenomenal- and it has crazy amazing covers.)


6. What If It's Us, by Becki Albertalli & Adam Silvera
I finished this last night. And I absolutely loved it. I don't know why I didn't get into this the first time I tried it. Maybe I needed the magic Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack because the minute I turned it on, I was hooked. This is definitely in the running for the cutest LGBT book I've ever read because there was just something about this book that made me not want to put it down. I adored both Ben and Arthur, though I loved how Arthur had no chill, because he reminds me of myself. Also the fact that I got all his musical theatre references, made this book all the better. Highly recommend this if you think there's even a slight possibility that you might like it.



-TV SHOWS AND FILMS-
Films
I didn't actually keep track of the films I watched this month, but here are the ones I remember:
1. Hercules
2. Miss You Already
3. Tangled

TV Shows
1. Miranda (Season 3)
2. Dragonball Z (Cell Saga)
3. Glee (Seasons 1 & 2)


One final thing I want to mention before I finish this post. I want to mention something that I did this month that I'm so happy I accomplished: I completed Naseby 1645 (the run event, I mean.)
It's been my longest distance yet, it's the worst I've ever felt, and I'm so happy that I completed it!
Better yet, I ran this incredibly hard run during Storm Dennis (though I was too exhausted to carry about the weather by that point, because it was 16.45 miles.)
But I'm so happy because that means I'm on track to train for a marathon next year. So proud of myself and all of the running community that finished it by my side.


Okay, I hope you enjoyed this monthly wrap up and I can't wait to talk to you all again next month!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend full of reading!
Don't forget to comment down below, if you want to share what you did in February!
Byeee!

-Abi xxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment