Friday 1 May 2020

April Wrap Up (2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here!
All of a sudden, it's the end of April! That means another monthly wrap up. Because of my 24 hour readathon, I read a fair amount of books, so let's get to them!
Enjoy!


-BOOKS-

1. Educated, by Tara Westover
This is the story of a girl who never set foot in a school until she was 17. Her father denounced hospitals, so she never had a birth certificate. Gashes, concussions, even the aftermath of an explosion, were all treated at home. With the need to know more than her home and the mountains with which she grew up in, she taught herself mathematics, without any formal education from anyone else. The blurb on Goodreads barely scratches the surface of what Tara goes through in her journey to be educated. This is very much a book about her family, and how she balances growing up with the family that she has. If you want to know what I mean by that, read it. It's such a powerful book.

2. Skyward (Skyward #1), by Brandon Sanderson
The first book in a new Brandon Sanderson series. One of my favourite books this year for sure. Ten years after Spensa's pilot-hero Dad is branded a coward, she wants nothing more than to become a fully fledged pilot, just like her dad. But, she won't even be given a chance to become an initiate- until the Krell double their attack. Now, Spensa will get the chance to prove she has the skills to get through training- and to prove she's different to her father. I highly recommend this to anyone who has an interest in space, aliens or flying- or Brandon Sanderson novels.


3. Unbecoming, by Jenny Downham
No matter how many times I talk about this book I never get tired of it. Unbecoming has some of my favourite tropes to date: families, independent female characters and discovering who you are and learning to be proud of it (character arc). This is the story of Katie, the responsible and studious daughter of Carolyn, who kissed her best friend. When she meets Mary, the grandmother she never knew she had, fills her world with possibilities. Can Mary help Katie embrace who she is, before she loses her grip on reality forever? This is a book about relationships, how meeting the people you need can change your life, and I just love how cleverly it's written, even years after first picking it up. It will remaining a favourite for years to come and it was a joy to pick it up again.
4. A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2), by V.E. Schwab
Not a filler, at all. Our favourite characters both return (I'm talking about Kell and Lila if you didn't know.) and there's a huge battle of magic (kind of like the Olympics.) Why isn't there a tournament like these in every fantasy series? It set some fab endings up for the conclusion of the series, which is my next read after I finish Under the Dome, it's actually my motivation for finishing it. Absolutely loved this. After thoroughly enjoying A Darker Shade of Magic, I knew there were more to these characters than what I read in the first book, and that was exactly what I got. So excited for the third book.

5. The Kingdom of Back, by Marie Lu
I wish I hadn't read this book the first time around so I can read it for the first time again. Another trope I love that I haven't mentioned is an underdog, and even though a fair amount of the setting is fantasy based, Nannerl Mozart's story is pure fact. This was Marie Lu's first historical fiction, and it flowed just as well as all of her past novels. The Kingdom of Back is a story of Nannerl, the famous Wolfgang Mozart's older sister, the sister that is constantly overlooked by her prodigy brother. But when a mysterious character approaches her with an offer, it's one she can't refuse. Of course, naturally he wants something in return. Is it worth it, and what will happen once she takes the offer? Read it to find out. A phenomenal book, I have to admit. Realistic characters, with a fantasy plot so well weaved into the historical fiction background, it almost seems real. I could read this for days, so I'm bummed its just a standalone. Recommend to Marie Lu fans.

6. Every Heart A Doorway (Wayward Children #1), by Seanen McGuire
You'd think that after finishing A Gathering of Shadows and The Kingdom of Back that I wouldn't want to read anymore? Well since this was a 24 hour readathon (the last three books on my wrap up this month) I picked up the first book in the Wayward Children series. Well, I loved it, and I can't wait to hear the audiobook for the next few. It took a while before I got the grasp of what was going on, but once I did, it was just an instant love! I don't think I've fallen in love with a cast of characters sooner, and then things just started happening to the characters and I wasn't expecting it! Let me know in the comments if anybody predicted the ending, because I certainly didn't! I'm looking forward to continuing on with the series and finding out more about a couple of characters that I met in the first book.

-FILMS & TV SHOWS-
Films
1. The Heat
2. Crazy Rich Asians
I genuinely think that was it. It probably wasn't, but that's all I can remember.

TV Shows
1. The Next Step~ Season 4

2. Chicago Med ~ Seasons 1/2


The Next Step was something that was watched sporadically this month, just when I wanted something quick and easy to watch.

Chicago Med was something I watched, pretty much everyday. It was something I put on when working on blog posts, or just doing tasks in my room. I really hope I don't get further than the end of season 4 during this pandemic but that's looking likelier every day.


-What I Did This Month-
1. Work.
2. Read.
3. Write.
4. Play Pokémon.
5. Run.
6. Repeat.
That's all I've done, most days this month.


Okay! There's my April Wrap Up.
Honestly, it feels weird that it's going to be 1st May tomorrow. I just wish we weren't missing out on the best weather days just staying inside. But that's the way it has to be right now.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend, full of reading and whatever it is that you like to do. Inside that is.
I will see you all next week with my May TBR (2020).
Still haven't fully decided what I'm going to read yet because I've got no books left.
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx 



No comments:

Post a Comment