Monday 11 May 2020

Books That Make Me Hungry

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I'm writing about a list of books that make me hungry (because they're about food.)
There isn't much else I wanted to say so, enjoy!


1. Sweetly (Fairytale Retellings #2), by Jackson Pearce
Sweetly is arguably my favourite from this series, and the Chocolatier is a big part of that. Not the entire part, because a book can't be a favourite based purely on description alone. But when I'm reading this it's as if you can taste the delectable treats pass your lips. It makes me wish I could bake such sweets and cakes like this, but that's never going to happen (I'm not that great a cook- yet.) Sweetly is a Hansel and Gretel retelling, if you didn't know.



2. With the Fire on High, by Elizabeth Acevedo
Unlike in Sweetly, cooking is a main theme in With the Fire on High. Emoni is a single mother in high school, whilst also trying to carve a living out so she can provide for her child. I was drawn to this because there are so few books with teen mum representation, but what kept me wanting more was her cooking. What makes you want to keep reading is Emoni's desire to learn her craft, her willingness to work hard, and above her delicious cooking. Just from the words on the page, it's so easy to imagine the smell, the taste of anything Emoni makes. I swear, if there was a restaurant with Emoni as head chef, I would gladly go. In an instant.

3. Heidi, by Johanna Spyri
Although the food isn't as complex as the previous books', just the simplicity of what Heidi and Grandpa Alps have after a busy day in Dorfli is what I like. It's genuinely just cheese on toast, or meat, as fresh as can be, but it's enough to want to visit the famous Alps, so I can experience the day for myself.



4. Heartless, by Marissa Meyer
Yet another fairy-tale retelling, but this time, it's the story of a villain we all know. This is a story of how the infamous Queen of Hearts came to be. It's also kind of like Wicked, in the respect that you would expect the person that you know is going to become The Queen of Hearts, to be bitter and hateful, but she's the opposite of that. Anyway, what Catherine wants more than anything, more so than possibly becoming the next Queen, is to start a bakery with her best friend. Even though her delicious desserts are only mentioned at certain points (like it's a subplot at most), her cakes sound like they're to die for.  

5. Pumpkin Heads, by Rainbow Rowell & Faith Erin Hicks
I read this graphic novel on Halloween last year, and it takes place on Halloween, at the Pumpkin Patch. And because it's a graphic novel, I didn't just read about everything, I got to see it too! The Pumpkin Patch is full of food stalls: The Fudge Shoppe, Chilli Fries Stand, and not to mention the S'Mores Pit. I wish I could try all of these foods, but of course they're not real. And that hurts. (Though thinking about it, I could probably make chilli chips without too much trouble.)

Okay! So that's my list, and that's going to do it for today.
I hope you all have a wonderful VE day, and continue to stay safe.
Byeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment