Friday 29 May 2020

May Wrap Up (2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And somehow we've come to the end of the 5th month of the year.
Here's what I got up to.
Enjoy!

-BOOKS-
I read a total of 5 books this month, and I'm happy to say, I enjoyed every single book I read.

1. Under the Dome, by Stephen King
I was going to write a review for this book, but I don't think I'd be able to do it justice, so I'm talking about it in my wrap up instead. The only description I can give for this book is that it's like a colossal spider's web, following several people currently residing in a town called Chester's Mill. Having seen the tv show a few years back, I could remember some of the names, but not all of them, so I thought I'd have some idea of what I was in for. Turns out, the tv show didn't even scratch the surface. There were so many characters in the beginning, it was hard to keep track of who was who, which characters were main, which ones supporting. But eventually, you learn whose who, and start to root for the characters, learn which ones are complete crap-heads that you want to dump a truckload of poo over. Such an intense and addictive read (says the girl that it took nearly a month to finish.). If you want an all engaging read that leave you obsessed for days afterward, I highly recommend this.   


2. A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3), by V.E Schwab
It feels weird that this trilogy is over. I've only known these characters three months and now it's over. I finished this just over 10 days ago and I'm at the point when I'm missing these characters, their amazing/ dramatic adventures that always ends up in some kind of trouble.  Saying that, I liked the way everything was wrapped up, if not in the way I expected. A Conjuring of Light was so good, it's most likely made it's way on to my Favourite Series List of all time, which probably isn't a surprise because of the hype this series has. Please give me more VE Schwab. 5 stars.





I loved this book so much I posted a review about it (and I haven't written any reviews all year, so that is no understatement.) If you want more in depth thoughts you can click the link (it's in the title) but to sum it up, A Girl in Three Parts is about Allegra, an eleven year old girl that's basically trying to 1)figure out what kind of person she wants to be when she's being pulled in three different directions by the people she loves most; 2)find out what happened to her mother when she was young; 3) find out why her two grandmothers can't stand the sight of each-other (they're polar opposites.) All in all, an absolutely smashing debut novel, can't wait to see what else she has in store.




4. Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2), by Seanen McGuire
I finished this at the start of the week, and I'm happy to say that I loved it just as much as I loved the first book. Down Among the Sticks and Bones is a prequel to Every Heart A Doorway, focusing on Jack and Jill, before their time at Eleanor's Home for Wayward Children. After reading this I might actually listen to the first book again, just to put the second book into more context. This book actually made me wish there were prequels for all the characters in the first book, just so I can get to know each of them, but I know there's no way that would be realistic. One thing it did achieve: It certainly made me excited for Book 3.




5. Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1), by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
I finished this this afternoon, and my main question is: Why did I wait so long to read this book?! A 5 star read, if the rest of the series is as fantastic as this, there's no reason why it shouldn't much my favourite series list of all time. It certainly wins as one of the most beautiful covers list. Illuminae is basically a case study, so this is a book full of evaluations, ship diagrams, and text message conversations. A book that my Ravenclaw brain cherished, I can't wait to see what happens in Gemina. Highly recommend this, and I can't stress that enough.


-FILMS AND TV SHOWS-
Films
1. The Devil Wears Prada (2006)- One of those classic favourites of mine that I can play as often as I like and still enjoy it!
2. Sense and Sensibility (1995)- it may only be a film, but it's the first time I've seen something that Jane Austen created! (Definitely need to read some of her books soon.)
3. Black Panther (2018)- Undoubtedly an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed this a lot less than what I thought I would (based on the excitement I got from other people's opinions on this film.)

TV Shows
1. Chicago Med~ Seasons 2/3
2. RuPaul's Drag Race~ Current season
3. The Next Step ~ Season 4

-What I Did This Month-
1. Worked.
2. Ran.
3. Read.
4. Posted.

That's about it.

Okay! That's my wrap up for May! I hope you enjoyed it, and I'll see you all on Monday with my June TBR! I hope you have a lovely weekend, with this wonderful weather, and I hope you all continue to stay safe in these troubling times.
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment