Tuesday 1 June 2021

May Wrap Up (2021)

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And today I'm back with my wrap up for May. 

Now, I didn't read as much as usual (though it wasn't through lack of trying) and I posted even less. 

But I have some posts I'm really excited for this month. 

Without further ado, here's my wrap up for May. 


1. Dead or Alive (Skulduggery Pleasant #14), by Derek Landy 

As much as I like the stories that have a clear goals and a number of obstacles to overcome, I like the books where chaos reigns, even more. That's what this book was. It's actually hard to put into words what the focus of Dead or Alive was, because there were subplots coming in at all sides, though somehow it wasn't a problem keeping track of all of them. Dead or Alive is the penultimate book in the Skulduggery Pleasant series and I'm both excited for the finale and in disbelief that we're one book away from the end. I have a feeling it's going to be explosive and horrifying, with all my favourite characters. I can hope. 

2. Heartstopper. Vol 4 (Heartstopper #4), by Alice Oseman 

I couldn't believe my eyes when I spotted this in Waterstones a fortnight before it was due to be released. Of course I read it as soon as I could, and of course I enjoyed it just as thoroughly as I had the previous three. Now that we're into the later volumes, I predicted that there might be some more serious themes introduced, and although I love these characters and I don't want anything bad to happen to any of them, this volume definitely turned a more mature direction. (Looking forward to seeing where the next volume leads.)

3. The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus #1), by Rick Riordan 

4. The Son of Poseidon (Heroes of Olympus #2), by Rick Riordan

5. The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus #3), by Rick Riordan 

I'd originally planned to marathon the entire series for the end of the month, but taking a look at how large the books were (at least 500 pages per book) I soon realised that there was no way I could manage that. When I first started this series, I was seriously excited. I'd found the Percy Jackson books wonderful, but I could tell I was going to enjoy this more. I still stand by that, but I was reading these books at too slow a pace and I know that if I continued to push through these books that I was going to run straight into a reading slump. So, I will continue with this series in the not too distant future. (Still really enjoying reading about these characters and the adventures they're embarking on though.)

6. The Road Trip, by Beth O' Leary 

Now, I only finished this at lunchtime, but since I hadn't posted this yet, it's being included. After it took me 10 days to finish The Mark of Athena, I knew I needed a break from the Heroes of Olympus series. This was the perfect book for the time. 

I'd previously read The Switch and The FlatShare a couple of months back and very much enjoyed them. When I heard that this was due to be released not two months later, I knew I had to read this when I was in the mood for it. The Road Trip follows Addie, who is with her sister Deb, or their way to their friend Cherry's wedding. The snacks and playlist are packed and everything is going according to plan. Then, not long after setting off, a car slams into the back of theirs. And it's driven by none other, but Addie's ex Dylan, whom she has avoided for the past two years after their traumatic break up. Dylan and his best mate are headed to the wedding too, and soon their fun car trip to Scotland becomes an awkward squash between five people that would never be seen in a car together. With nothing else to do, Addie and Dylan are forced to confront their past. The question is, will they get to the wedding on time and, more importantly, is this the end of the road for Addie and Dylan? 


Okay! That's my May Wrap Up (2021)! I hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to comment what you read down below! 

I hope you have a wonderful evening and I'll see you all soon with my June TBR (2021)! 

Byeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment