Monday 10 April 2017

Heartless (Heartless #1), by Marissa Meyer

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I seem to be going through times when I just don't have the time to post... but last week was because I had a show, (Anything Goes, anyone know it?)
Anyway, I was going to post this review on Friday, but I was too busy playing an upper-class-woman on a ship! But nevertheless, here is my review of Heartless, by Marissa Meyer!

Heartless (Heartless #1), by Marissa Meyer
Title: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Genre: Fairytale Retelling
Status: First book in a trilogy/series
Release date: 2nd November, 2016
Pages: 450
Blurb: "Long before Alice fell
down the rabbit hole...

And before the roses
were painted red...

The Queen of Hearts
was just a girl, in love
for the first time."

My Thoughts
The Queen of Hearts has always been one of those characters that I just love to hate. She's just one of those characters that's like 'You dare to cough in her direction, and she will cut off your hand or even your head!' And she isn't bluffing.
But this character is so blunt, it was hard to see how she came to be so brutal and 'heartless' really.
Until I read this book, and now it's all too easy to see how she got to this place.
And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually related to her really easily.

This book was sweet, and hopeful, and more than a little bitter, but with a dramatic side that was lingering throughout the book. The book starts with Cath, a girl with a passion for baking, and dreaming of starting a business with her friend (but was her servant) Mary Ann. Based in the time when girls were raised to marry a rich man instead of pursuing their own dreams and ambitions, it seems unlikely, but Cath has other ideas. It's the night before a ball that the King will look for a wife in, and he enjoys her cakes and pies. From that point onwards, this story is a world of crazy, involving The future Queen of Heart's slow descent into the power hungry queen we know so well.

There are a number of things that I liked about this book. I liked the familiarity of the characters: they were the same as we know and love, but this time they had pasts, and more than a little character development, and it was interesting to see how the relationships of the characters before Alice in Wonderland took place.

What was also interesting was that even though we know where Catherine ends up, it was cool to see another side to her, and her slow descent as she became the character that would soon rule all of Wonderland.

But as much as I liked the characters and the overall feel of the book, I still can't ignore the issues. I mean, going into this, I had almost impossibly high standards because this was written by the Lunar Chronicles, and even though it was decent, it wasn't what I thought it would be. It all fit too well together, and I kind of wanted to see what the darkness of Wonderland a bit more than I did.
(But hopefully I'll get to see more of that in the second book.)

So overall, this was an alright book. I had some issues with it, but the good stuff outweighed the bad by far. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and even though it didn't compare to the Lunar Chronicles, I am really looking forward to the second in the series.

So that was my review of Heartless by Marissa Meyer! I hope you enjoyed it, and I will see you all soon!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment