Wednesday 5 April 2017

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4), by Maggie Steifvater

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And even though it's been a while since I read this book (I've finished two books since), I still want to do this review, because it is the last book in the series, as well as the best one yet!
So, everyone, here is my review of The Raven King, the last book in the Raven Cycle series!
Enjoy!

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle #4), by Maggie Steifvater
Title: The Raven King
Author: Maggie Steifvater
Genre: Paranormal  
Release date: 26th April, 2016
Pages: 438
Blurb: "For years, Gansey has been on a quest to find
a lost king. One by one, he's drawn others
into his mission: Ronan, who steals from
dreams; Adam, whose life is no longer his
own; Noah, whose life is no longer a life; and
Blue, who loves Gansey ... and is certain she
is destined to kill him.

Nothing dead is to be trusted.

Now the endgame has begun.

Nothing living is safe.

Dreams and nightmares are converging.
Love and loss are inseparable. And the quest
refuses to be pinned to a path."

My Thoughts
If there is one thing I will say, is that this blurb is 100% accurate. This book truly refused to follow a path, there was stuff happening all over the place. And even though there was plot stuff happening left and or right, the character didn't fall by the wayside either like you'd think. And these events (I'm not going to spoil them, because it is the fourth book in the series) start off right off the bat.

This book starts straight after Blue Lily, Lily Blue, which I thought was a good tactic, considering what happened at the end of the last book. The characters, at the start of the novel, are talking and thinking about changes on the horizon: not just the search for Glendower, but also the prospect of what they will do when they graduate, and I liked that, because it was also what the audience was feeling too, like getting ready to say goodbye to the characters that we have known to love, but also don't want to say goodbye to just yet.

Now, the plot. The plot was just one explosive event after another. And like a good plotline, at any point throughout the book, you never had any idea what was going to come next, and during those points, I could not pull my eyes away from the page!

The romance was slightly more prominent in this book than it had been in the previous ones, and I was totally okay with that, surprisingly. It was just so done, and so well blended into the rest of the story, (and it was never the main focus of the story, so there was that) that it was just enough for the story.

Also, can I just talk about heart-wrenching this story was. There were fast and gripping moments, times when it was so adorable cute, and there was also a bit of a creepy element in there too, which was something I wasn't expecting, and was happy to see!

Also (and I am aware that this review is sort of all over the place), leading up to this book, there was always the "Blue will kill her true love if she kisses him", and in this final book is when it that plotline took place. Blue was falling, and she was trying hard to control herself throughout the book, and even though I love the Blue from the previous books, this was when I really started to relate, because we all know that feeling of first love, and add the fact that she can't kiss him, it's difficult as heck!

Which brings me to character development: if it's possible, I think I loved the characters even more in this book as I have in the previous books (if that's possible). In the past three books, the foundation was built, then they became more defined individually, and then they started to argue.
But it was in this book that they all came together and really had each-other's backs: they were there for each-other, through thick and thin. And that was one of the strongest components in this series; not just in this book.

So overall, this series is about a group of four boys, on the search for the ley line; they are known as the Raven Boys. And then there is Blue, the girl that has been prophesized that she will kill her true love if she kissed him. But these two groups come together, and become friends. That is what the story is about, how you can accomplish anything so long as you have your friends by your side. This series is funny, with quirky and witty characters, with paranormal and thrilling moments. Amazing series overall.
I thoroughly enjoyed this series, and I recommend this to anything who has even thought to read it!

So that is my review for the concluding book in the Raven Cycle series, The Raven King!
I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any thoughts, let me know in the comments!
I hope you have a wonderful day, and I will see you all on Friday!
Byeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment