Friday 13 October 2017

Warcross (Warcross #1), by Marie Lu

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I read this book a while ago, but I still want to post a review because it's new and exciting, and I have a lot of thoughts on it!
Also It's been a while since I posted a review and this seems like the perfect fit.

It's Warcross
(Which you can see from the title).
Enjoy!


Title: Warcross
Author: Marie Lu
Genre: Sci-fi
Release date: 12th September, 2017
Status: Book 1/3??? in trilogy
Pages: 353
Blurb: "FOR THE MILLIONS WHO LOG IN
EVERY DAY, WARCROSS ISN'T JUST
A GAME- IT'S A WAY OF LIFE.

Teenage hacker Emika Chen works as a bounty
hunter, tracking down Warcross players who bet
on the game illegally. But the bounty-hunting world
is a competitive one, and survival has not been easy.
Struggling to make ends meet, Emika takes a risk
and hacks into the opening game of the Warcross
Championships- accidentally glitching herself into
the action.

Now an overnight sensation, Emika is whisked off
to Tokyo to meet the game's creator, the elusive
young billionaire Hideo Tanaka. He needs a spy in
this year's tournament to help uncover a security
problem... and he wants Emika for the job.

Thrust into a world of fame and fortune that she's
only dreamed of, Emika's investigation soon uncovers
a sinister plot, which could shatter the entire
Warcross empire."

My Thoughts
When I first head about this book, I was a bit... meh about the whole thing, to be honest. I had enjoyed the Legend trilogy, but from what I knew it just seemed like any videogame sci-fi book.
But then, after hearing about all the people reading and raving about this book, I decided to pick it up.
And... it was pretty amazing, I have to admit!  

First things first, the visuals: it was all too easy to see the scene and the world spread out before you, a world that you wish you could live in, but is only a figment of your imagination. It was so, so easy to see the rat-ridded slums of New York, and with that, it was easy to visualise and picture the life that Lu had created for our protagonist, Emika.
But I'll get to that in a minute.
And then she makes the journey to Japan, and all of that changes.
This world is a lot more advanced than ours when it comes to technology, but it is no less easier to picture all of this, even though none of it exists!
The world was just so graphic, so (not realistic, but also realistic), Like it seemed surreal, just because the technology is the world. It's the whole world!
And the best part is how insanely possible this type of world might be not too soon from now1
Which you'll see what I mean when you read it!

Warcross. The game.
Primarily, it's capture the flag.
But with each new round, one team goes up against another, the world changes. You put on the glasses that Hideo created, and you're able to see in it, live in it. And the glasses create the world as well. There are things you can throw, which could potentially hinder the other team. For the teams, everybody has a job. And one thing I liked about Emika's team was that they weren't just a team for Warcross, but they were there for each-other in real-life as well, which I didn't really get from the other team.
And they played Mariokart! That was just the icing on top of the cake.

On to the characters.
Throughout the story we follow Emika Chen- bounty hunter. She finds people who are using Warcross illegally. And it gets her by, but every penny is tight.
One thing that I liked about Emika was that even though her character had an arc, a journey, character development, her personality never changed. She's always consistent, like she stays focused on the task at all times, which is something that I like about her. Also, she has RAINBOW HAIR.  
And she's in kind of a desperate situation, but before she knows it, she is being contacted by none other than the creator of this big ginormous Warcross game- Hideo Tanaka, and she's on her way to Tokyo to work for him.

Now, Hideo is an interesting character. He seems almost not real- just because how successful he is, mixed with the spine-tingling thing that there's something not quite right (that I got from the get go, let me just say.) Hideo, the genius boy that invented virtual glasses at the age of thirteen, is now, at the age of twenty, like the boss of everything. And he wants Emika for a job.

One word to describe the relationship between these two: Conflicting.
I can't even describe it.
There aren't words!
I'm literally tripping over them.
Just, there's the business, the job that Hideo hired Emika for, and then there's their own personal relationship.
Just read it, and you'll understand.

So overall, this was an amazing read and I cannot wait for the sequel!
This is definitely one of my favourite reads for 2017.
(There's getting to be a lot of those...)

:)

So that is all I have for you today!
I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment