Monday 22 October 2018

A Snowstorm and a Relationship

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And today I got the feeling that I wanted to write a short story, with minimal time and lack of inspiration.
Let me know if you like it!
45 minutes: countdown. No editing. Enjoy!


""Attention! Due to the extreme weather conditions, the train has been stalled for one hour. We are working hard to get the line clear as much as possible so bear with us."
Removing my headphones from around my ears, I glance around the stall.
Great, I think, relieved to find that I am finally alone, the rest of the passengers in the stall, having left to let loved ones know of the blizzard.
I think about doing the same, letting Dad and Jax know that the train has stalled, but I don't want to worry them. They were worried enough about me making the journey by train as it was.
I'll call them when I get there, so that they know there's nothing wrong, I think, wondering when that would be.

Closing my eyes, I think of what awaits me: a life at Uni, studying Business Studies, a life of friendship, laughter, and the start of a potential career. I can't wait to get there, and show that I can be an independent, motivated individual. Especially since everybody is convinced that I can't.

I flash through the memories: skin as white as a ghost, the fall that solidified the disease, the lack of strength...

I wake with a start. A face above me, shaking me awake. I can't quite make out what he's saying. It's a male, around my age, maybe a couple of years older. Shaking my head, I start to make sense of what he's saying.
"...So sorry, I didn't know if you were dead so I just wanted to check..."
Licking my lips, I try to speak, dumbfounded.
"That's alright, I didn't realise I'd fallen asleep..."
He grins, the sun from the window glinting off his teeth.
I start to smile again, somehow unable to stop. I just want to return his smile...
What the heck am I doing? I shouldn't be thinking these thoughts, I probably look horrendous!
Before a second thought, I'm back on my feet, bag in hand.  
"Excuse me." I push past him without a second thought.
"Oh, okay..." The smile is gone in an instant, replaced with a look of lost confusion. I rush off to the toilet as fast as my legs will carry me.

* * * * * * *
Dignity regained, I slowly make my way out of the bathroom. My head aimed at the floor, I try to think what to do.
"Hey!"
I jump like I'd just seen a ghost. Which would have been preferable.
"Are you following me?" Of course, it's the dream boy from the stall.
"No. Hey, wait!" He gets out before I attempt to run as fast as I can to the other end of the train.
But as quick as lightning, he grabs my arm and refuses to let go.
"Let go." I stop struggling and look into his eyes, knowing he won't unless I look him in the eye at least once.
"No. I wanted to formally introduce myself. I'm Jaime."
I look him up. Ruffled hair, blue eyes, and lightly tanned skin, like he's been abroad recently. Casually dressed, smiling. Attractive.
Hmm, attractive is an understatement. You just thought of him as dream boy. Stop daydreaming.
"Cara. Nice to meet you." I shake his hand vigorously, treating it business casual.

* * * * *
"So what brings you here?" He takes a swig of his Pepsi Max, but never for a second do his eyes come away from mine.
"Uni." I motion to the suitcase next to me.
"Oh. What are you studying?"
"Business studies."
"Oh..." He's quick, but not quick enough: I see a role of the eyes before he glances away.
"What's wrong with business studies?" I jump into a rage before I can stop myself.
"Nothing! It's just a bit... you know..."
"No I don't! What's wrong with it?"
"Just a bit... boring is all."
I don't even know how to respond at this point.

* * * * * * *
"All I'm saying is this: You learn business on the job. The idea, the premise, the product is what is going to get you noticed! The best way to learn to be a businessman or woman is on the job! That's all I'm saying." He crosses his arms to end the point.
To be honest, he has a point.
But I'm not going to let him think that.
"Good point. But, business studies is more than just being taught the tools. You have to put your own spin on it, so you can make it a business that you run your own way! If you're just following some other business, on the job, there's no way in hell you'll make it on your own!"
"I mean, I get that, but how many heads are actually involved in their own businesses? Take Lord Sugar for example. He invests in other's businesses', but does he ever get his hands dirty? Nope." He tucks his hands in his pockets. "You know I'm right."
And I can't help but smile.
* * * * * * *
"I guess I just realised that if I want something, I'll have to go and get it myself." He says with such heart-felt emotion that I steer my eyes away from my mug of coffee.
"What do you mean?" Tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, I shift a bit closer.
"Just that if I wanted a future career in music, then nobody was going to hand it to me."
I sigh. "I know."
* * * * *
The train machine wakes me up with a jolt.
"Attention! We have got the train moving again and we will be reaching Hull in five minutes.
I sneak a glance at Jaime, and am surprised to discover that he has fallen asleep. Deliberating on whether to wake him, I decide to leave this tale at it's end and leave him there.
Giving him a soft peck on the cheek, I pick up my bag, and make my leave before I change my mind.


Standing on the side, I see the train leave the platform,
a sprinkle of a tear, the return of hope that I can make my way once again.
Funny what an encounter can do.
Bye, Jaime. "


Hi guys!
Hope you enjoyed that!
I think, because I've finished my latest draft for my book, that I am ready for beta readers, and this was maybe a building confidence to send off some of my work off!
If you enjoyed it, let me know, I might start doing more of these, so let me know!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment