Tuesday 2 October 2018

September Wrap Up & October TBR (2018)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I am posting today because now is the first spare moment I have had since last post.
A week of working all day and making cakes all night means that I haven't been able to post for the longest time.
So instead of using two blog posts when I could be catching up on more pressing bookish topics, I've decided to do a two in one!
Here's my September Wrap Up & October TBR!
Enjoy!


September Wrap Up (2018)
DNF's.
First off, before delving into what I read in September, there are a couple of books that I DNF (did not finish) that I honestly, cannot remember when I put them down!

1. Aaru, Halls of Hell, by David Meredith
Having worked with David Meredith before, with Reflections of Queen Snow White and the first book in the Aaru trilogy, I was happy to pick up the second. Even reading this second book, and knowing that the first Aaru book had been a slow burner, I could not carry on any longer than I did with this novel. Generally, I like description, but there was way too much in this book, and the way I reacted when something would progress was- overjoy that something had happened. But these scenes were few and far between, and I found myself fighting to pick this book up. I've decided this year that I'm not going to waste the time reading something that I'm not enjoying, when I could be spending the time reading something else. I will still do a review for this book, because that was the deal I set up, receive a free copy for a review, but I couldn't carry on for longer than I did.

2. The Astonishing Colour of After, by Emily X.R Pan
I put this down for the very same reason. Too much of a slow burner. And before you all jump on this blog, telling me that it's a book that discusses grief and that it's wrong to say it was too slow, but that's what I thought. As beautiful as the writing was, and the unique premise, and the need for Leigh to find out the truth about her mother, but there just wasn't enough content for me to stay engaged in the story. That's just my personal opinion though.


Books I Read In September

1. Evolution (Dark Matter #3), by Teri Terry
I have to say, this last book in the trilogy was a let down. There were a couple of plot developments that I wasn't expecting, and the book went in a different direction to what I was expecting, but overall, it wasn't my favourite, especially compared to some of Teri Terry's other works, like the Slated trilogy and some of her standalones. I'm satisfied with how it ended, and some of the last part of the book was so quick paced that my heart was beating like crazy! But any time that happened throughout this book, when I thought it would pick up, and it would turn into a slow crawl. Although it was a good end to the series, I feel like it could have been better.

2. The Miserable Mill (Series of Unfortunate Events #4), by Lemony Snicket
3. The Austere Academy (Series of Unfortunate Events #5), by Lemony Snicket
4. The Ersatz Elevator (Series of Unfortunate Events #6), by Lemony Snicket

I got through these three books in the Series of Unfortunate Events series this month. I like these three because you start to see more than just the story you come to expect from the first three/four books, and you start to see the beginnings of what the story becomes as the story progresses. You meet both some amazing characters, as well as some equally despicable ones. And of course that quirky quality that it's hard to find a book or a series that is as unique and fun/creepy as this one. I'm excited for how this series is going to go from here, and I am hoping to read more of these next month.


5. This is Going to Hurt
I finished this on the final day of September, so I was only just able to put this on the list. It was an interesting read to say the least, but it was one book that I definitely didn't regret picking up. This book is a sum of diary entries from the ex-doctor Adam Kay about his experiences whilst being a junior doctor and it was a book that had been on my radar for a while. All in all it was such an eye opening book about what it's like to be a junior doctor: the highs, the lows, and the funny moments that come with such an important career. I highly recommend this novel, because there is no book like it.




October TBR (2018)
1. A Shadow Bright and Burning (Kingdom on Fire #1), by Jessica Cluess
I'm currently about 20 pages into this, and the reason that this is on my TBR is because it's on my TBR Jar for 2018, and time is running out because it's OCTOBER ALREADY! I decided enough is enough and I ordered it, so I could start this trilogy that I've heard so much about. It reminds me a bit of Three Dark Crowns with the politics, and I hope that I love this trilogy as much as that one!

2. Slenderman
There is not an author for this book which means its incredibly hard to find on Goodreads. I still haven't found it! But, I got this in Waterstones a couple of weeks ago. As an avid gamer as well as reader, I am a fan of anything that tries to creep me out. I played Until Dawn, and there's always been something about Slenderman that intrigues/ creeps me out. And when I saw a novel with Slenderman, I grabbed it and bought it. Also, it's now October, and it's the perfect Halloween read! Let me know what creepy reads you want to pick up this month! 


3. The Vile Village (Series of Unfortunate Events #7), by Lemony Snicket
4. The Hostile Hospital (Series of Unfortunate Events #8), by Lemony Snicket
5. The Carnivorous Carnival (Series of Unfortunate Events #9), by Lemony Snicket
 The next three books in this series. If I get through these, then that means I have books 10-13 left in the series. But, I'm not going to think of that. I'm going to think of how good it will be to progress even more so in this series that is, and probably always will be, one of my favourite series' of all time. (Also I love the covers.)


6. Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices #1), by Cassandra Clare
7. Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2), by Cassandra Clare
Another challenge for my TBR Jar that I need to get to. Lady Midnight was such an amazing book and I hear that Lord of Shadows is better! It's been a year since I read the first book in the trilogy, and I want to refresh my memory on what happened.


Okay! So that was my September Wrap Up & October TBR! I know it was on a Tuesday, but I'm at a point when I'm just using whatever free time I have left to post and talk about books!
Right, that's all I've got and that's going to do it for this post! I hope you enjoyed it, and don't forget to comment what spooky reads you are picking up this month, for Halloween!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you soon!
Byeeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment