Friday 21 September 2018

War Storm (Red Queen #4), by Victoria Aveyard

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I am posting a review that- I have to admit- will be a relief to post.
War Storm. The review for the final book in the Red Queen series.
Enjoy!


Title: War Storm
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 15th May, 2018
Status: Book 4 in the Red Queen series
Pages: 657
Blurb: "Victory comes at a price.
Mare Barrow learned this all too well when
Cal's betrayal nearly destroyed her. Now
determined to protect her heart- and secure
freedom for Reds and Newbloods like her-
Mare resolves to overthrow the kingdom of
Norta once and for all... starting with the
crown on Maven's head.

But no battle is won alone, and before the
Reds may rise as one, Mare must side with the
boy who broke her heart in order to destroy
the boy who almost broke her. Cal's powerful
Silver allies, alongside Mare and the scarlet
Guard, prove a formidable force. But Maven is
driven by an obsession so deep, he will stop at
nothing to have Mare as his own again, even if
it means destroying everything- and everyone
- in his path.

War is coming, and all Mare has fought for
hangs in the balance. Will victory be enough
to topple the Silver kingdoms? Or will the
little lightning girl be forever silenced?"


My Thoughts
This was one heck of a book to get through. A matter of 657 pages, and the final book in the Red Queen series. Having enjoyed a book in this series, been underwhelmed by a book, and loved another, it was no secret that I was nervous as for how the series was going to wrap up. And even though it wasn't my favourite in the series, it was a close second.

Taking a look on goodreads, people are opposed on their opinion when it comes to War Storm. Some think that because it isn't explosive and amazing, that it isn't worth even a three star review. But I have to say, the characterisation and the plot development may have been subtle, but that does not mean it wasn't good. A lot of the character/plot development was a slow burner, but it wasn't so subtle that it wasn't easy to read. It was a 657 page book, and I finished it in a week. It may have been subtle, but it was definitely well written.

War Storm starts a couple of months after King's Cage finishes, but the events of the third book are still taking effect. Cal's decision is still hurting Mare throughout the book, which is an interesting point considering they have to work together. One character that I enjoyed reading about amid all the madness was Evangeline. She remains to be the kick-ass, sharp mouthed character she has always been. Mare has changed as a character, especially from the first novel, which was a good thing because, after everything she has gone through, it would be worried if she wasn't a little damaged. She reminds me of Katniss, who is willing to do anything for the people she cares about. Maven was the same vicious King he's always been, consumed with maliciousness and the desire to obtain Mare. The clear goals maintained in the novel meant that there was little character development that wasn't intertwined in the plot in some way. But then there's been enough of that in the previous books.

If there's one critique I have for this novel was that I was always waiting for the low point in the novel. You know, the point when it seems like the good side is going to lose, or some form of emotional turmoil for the character or something involved with them. But there is no point within the story when what the audience is rooting for seems impossible. And I was waiting for that throughout the novel.
On the other hand, at least there was more of a chance that the good side was going to win, so that was heart wasn't worried about what was going to happen.

My other critique is the ending. The ending wasn't the best. It was a bit underwhelming in the end, which is just my personal opinion.

So overall, this series has been an up and down. There have been books I've liked, hated and loved, but I don't regret picking up the series. I definitely think Victoria Aveyard has grown as a writer, and I'm excited to read what she releases next. She also has beautiful covers, some decent characters, and she came up with an amazing premise that did not go the way I was expected, which means she has promise!

Okay! That is my review of War Storm, the fourth book in the Red Queen series! I hope you enjoyed it, and let me know in the comments what you thought!

Right! I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment