Monday 29 October 2018

Bohemian Rhapsody Film Review

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And after watching the film Bohemian Rhapsody last night at the cinema, the first thing I did this morning is turn on my laptop to write the review.
Because I have some thoughts on it.


I just have to say that I love the aesthetic of the poster. The purple fading into yellow just really pulls your eye in. Its a simple poster, with a stage and the one and only Freddie Mercury performing on stage, and in my opinion, that's all the poster really needs to be. I just love how simple yet eye catching the whole poster is.


The Film
I had no expectations going into this film. I thought it would be a story about Freddie Mercury, his ups and downs with Queen, and an insight into his personal life. I got some of those things, and in this those moments I was singing along, (quietly, because I didn't want to be kicked out) having the time of my life as I witnessed Queen's rise to fame, but what I thought was lacking was the insight of what was happening in his personal life as his fame continued to rise.
Saying that, as much as I wish the film had got more into the thick of it, regarding Freddie's life from the time that he found out he had AIDS, I have to remember that it is a PG13 film, and it's more of a family friendly film, which it certainly was.

One thing that they did focus on quite a bit was Freddie's sexuality. That was one factor that was very well developed. There was one scene where Queen was at a press conference but instead of asking questions about the latest hit, they were asking (the word 'pressing' is kind of an understatement) questions about his sexuality instead. That scene was very well done and really grasped the idea of what it must have been for Mercury and any other person in the public eye at that time, what it must have felt like to be seen as queer.

Also, I got to find out more about the people that were in Mercury's life, instead of just Freddie Mercury alone. And I have to say, the people cast as these amazing people were absolutely perfect. You really got the feel of what it was like for Queen, in that recording studio, what their chemistry was like when they were making music. Also, the acting that came from Lucy Boynton (who played Mary) stood out in particular as perfect.  

The best part of this film was the soundtrack (because it's Queen.) But what I enjoyed the most was how each big song was woven into the story. It really helped to see what inspired some of Queen's songs, especially as I wasn't alive when all of this was taking place, like some of the people I went to see the film with (I went with my mum, auntie and their friend.) Because I wasn't able to live through Mercury's story, it really helped me to see the bigger picture.
 It was one of my favourite parts because it added so much to the story.

Overall, a really enjoyable film. My only critiques are that they could have gone into Mercury's experience living with AIDS, and the time between when Queen performed at Live Aid in 1985, and Mercury's death in 1991.
But other than that, I recommend going to see it with the best sound and picture you can, because this is one of those films when they do not hold back on the sound.
They are playing the film in IMAX, so if you can, go and see it in IMAX. (I just saw it in regular picture though and it was still amazing.)

Right, that is my review of Bohemian Rhapsody! I hope you enjoyed it, and let me know what you thought of the review, and the film if you've seen it!
That's all I have, and that's going to do it for this post!
Byeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx











No comments:

Post a Comment