Tuesday 5 November 2019

Doctor Sleep Film Review

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I went to see Doctor Sleep in the cinema on Saturday.
That's all I'm going to say on it, you'll have to read this review.
Enjoy!



When I heard this was going to be remade, I wasn't sure what to think. I'd seen The Shining and really enjoyed it. I saw why every horror fanatic was drawn to it and why it made sense to make a sequel. I just wasn't sure whether I'd make it through 2 1/2 hours of horrors, especially on a big screen with louder sound.

Honestly though? This film isn't worth the title of a horror. For the most part.
I mean, it wasn't all bad. There were a couple of moments that my heart rate started to rise, but mostly this film was a... disappointment.

The protagonist of Doctor Sleep is Danny, the child from The Shining. It takes place at certain points over the course of his life, starting when he's a child, in the hotel, and then for a brief point a couple of months later. Most of the film takes place in his adult life, overcoming an addiction with alcohol, and his friendship with a young woman with a stronger shining gift than his own. Aside from them there are some very strange and creepy characters that are also introduced in this film. It's basically a battle between good and evil, over whose supernatural gift will win out.
You see why I didn't think this much of a horror?

I think what it was that there wasn't much horror. Some gore and blood, but I've seen a lot worse. And aside from that, Doctor Sleep is meant to be a horror film, not a gore.
I have to say that, for the most part, I was sat, bored in my seat, waiting for something that would make me jump out of my skin, or clench my fists in fear, and that thrill rarely came.

On the other hand, it wasn't that bad. There some creepy moments where I wanted to look away but I couldn't at the same time, and scenes where characters were shooting at each-other; and also scenes where I was intrigued as for what would happen next. So it was a fairly good film, in places.

I just think it was too long winded. A lot of what was included in the film wasn't needed, wasn't really relevant to the plot.
I mean, if they wanted to make a 7 hour Harry Potter film with all the details and character developments contained within the film, I'd watch it. But with a Stephen King story, where I'm only just becoming invested in the genre, it was a struggle to sit through.
But then, it really is just my opinion. Maybe a die-hard Stephen King fan would call it the best film they've seen this year.

Overall, I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more if some of it was cut out. As much as I enjoy character development, there was too much in this film.
My rating for this film is a 5/10 because even though there wasn't much horror, the plotline was engaging and fast paced.

Okay! I hope you enjoyed the post and let me know what you thought of the film, if you've been to see it. If not, let me know what you thought of my review, and if you've been reading anything spooky lately!
I hope you have a nice day and I'll see you all, soon!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx







1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete