Monday 30 March 2020

March Wrap Up (2020)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And because February was such a short month, March feels like it's lasted twice as long (though that's not the only reason.)
But finally, it's time for the monthly wrap up!
Enjoy!


-BOOKS-
I read a total of 6 books this month. I got off to a really good start, and I finished book 5 on 21/3/20. After that I just didn't have the motivation to read because of everything and everyone I had to say goodbye to for 12 weeks because of the Coronavirus that's currently sending the world into turmoil.
Here's what I read this month:

1. Solitaire, by Alice Oseman
Coming back to this book after finishing it at the start of the month, and I'm still trying to find the words to write to convey my feelings. I think, this is the type of book that people will either love or hate. I personally, absolutely loved it, I read 100 pages a day, and I flew through it because it was so easy to relate to Tori, because I was very much in the same place as Tori goes to in this book, mental health wise. However, reading about this from a character's POV, and not experiencing it myself, was probably a little bit of a wake up call for me. So with that, I give a trigger warning for mental health on this book. If you suffer from depression and anxiety, please be considerate as for whether it's healthy to pick this up.

2. A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1), by V.E Schwab
Out of all the books I read this month, this has been the most unforgettable, which honestly, isn't surprising. I know for a fact that I've only scratched the surface with this series, because it has a huge following in the Booktube community, and no wonder because I loved it. I'm so excited to pick up A Gathering of Shadows, which I will be picking up in April. It took maybe the first 70 pages to get into the story, but that's to be expected because you have to get to know the characters, and the worlds, so I wasn't surprised it took a bit to get into it, but I'm so happy that I ended up loving it. (To be honest, I was worried I wouldn't love it as much as everyone else, and that would have been awful).

3. Radio Silence, by Alice Oseman
After reading Solitaire, I genuinely didn't think Alice Oseman's books could get any better. Then I picked up Radio Silence, and I got what everybody had been talking about with how amazing this book is. Frances' only goal is to get into the best school. But what nobody knows is that she draws fan-art for a podcast that she's loved for forever. But nothing comes from it, until she's contacted by the creator of said podcast. (Who happens to be her new friend Aled.) The story kind of escalades from there, and we find out what will happen to Frances with Uni, with the podcast, and what happened to her friend, who vanished off the face of the earth a few years back. It sounds better than I'm making it sound but it's a wonderful book that discusses University, the stresses that teenagers are under to go to university and follow that traditional path. Highly recommend.

4. The Mercies, by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
I was told that I would enjoy this, because of how much I enjoy the Miniaturist last year, and I have to say I agree. Set in Norway in 1617, the story starts when all the men in the village are drowned, leaving all the woman of the island to fend for themselves. They learn to be independent, to finally brave the waves that killed all the men 6 months ago. And then, one year later, Absalom Cornet arrives on the island, with one goal: bring the women of the island to their knees. You read from two POV's: Maren Magnusdatter, whose father and brother were killed by the way; and the wife of Absalom Cornet. As the two women become close, the island starts to close in on them, can they find a way to calm the storm that threatens the place they have come to know as home? Based on the real events of the Vardo storm and the 1621 witch trials, this is a story of love, loss, independence, evil and obsession.  


5. Twin Ambitions: My Autobiography, by Mo Farah
I found out that the physical book is out of print last month- but thank goodness the audiobook is still available. This was a wonderful audiobook to listen to, even though it wasn't Mo Farah that recorded it, the voice actor did very well at portraying Mo. I'm so happy that I was able to finish this and tick off another TBR Jar challenge this month.

6. Only Mostly Devastated, by Sophie Gonzales
It took me longer to read this than it should have. I don't mean to get through it, I mean how long it took to get started. After I found out that I wasn't allowed to see my partner for 12 weeks I just couldn't find the motivation to pick up anything. I'd say that this has got me out of my miserable slump. But as much as I enjoyed it, there's still some more to work through. But I will say that Only Mostly Devastated is a decent book, one to turn to if you want something cute, but not too cute because there is one subplot that's a bit sad, if I'm honest. This is loosely based on Grease, but not too much, so I was surprised by how much was new to me. A solid 3.5 stars.


-TV SHOWS AND FILMS-
TV Shows
1. Friday Night Dinner
This show sparked my interest when I saw the huge advertising board for it next to the train station in my town and I warmed to it straight away. Because the new series started last week, I want to get through season 2 & 3 as soon as I can.

2. Glee
I'm nearing the end of Season 2 for Glee and although I know that things will change some after the next season or whatever, I'm excited to see what comes next to some of my favourite performers.

3. Dragonball Z
I'm really going to miss watching this with my partner. At least for the next 2 months, and then we can get back to watching one of my favourite programmes.

4. The Next Step
For some reason, I haven't been able to stop putting this on whenever I have a spare moment. The episodes are only 20 minutes long, and I'm currently working through Season 4, and eventually get to Season 7 on BBC IPlayer (Netflix isn't up to date on the seasons yet.)


Films
1. Girls Trip
2. The Perks of Being A Wallflower
3. Carrie (2013)
4. Crazy Rich Asians
5. Sunshine on Leith
6. Brain on Fire

What's Happened This Month
1. I donated my hair! In hindsight I'm so glad I got it cut when I did, or I'd be stuck with it long for the foreseeable future, and it's so satisfying to know that I did it!

2. I reached 400 read books on Goodreads! Now that's an achievement I'm proud of!


Those are kind of the only positive things that've happened this month if I'm honest. I think this month, the negatives outweigh the positives. I've had to say goodbye to loved ones for the foreseeable future, something that's near impossible to do. Everyday I risk passing on COVID-19 to my household because of where I work.
But I want to spread a message. This will be the worst week yet, because there will be people who start showing symptoms because of who they were with last week. It will take at least a week for the stem of infection to slow but we have to remain hopeful that it will not always be like this. Stay safe and stay at home for the sake of the nation, for your loved ones, because you may be safe, but they may not be. You'd rather say goodbye for a little while than say goodbye completely. Please be careful, wash your hands and use your heads.
Stay safe.

I'll see you all soon with my April TBR.

Bye.
Abi xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment