Tuesday 10 March 2020

The Book Cake Tag

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
I was looking for tags to do for my monthly tag, and I stumbled into this one.
I like books, and I love cake, so why not bring back a tag that's been around for years?
Enjoy! Mmmm cake...


Flour ~ A Book That Is Slow To Start Off But Really Picked Up As You Went Along
I don't know why, but it took me a while to get into this, and then all at once, I was invested. It was probably because it had been a while since I'd read One of Us Is Lying, because I read it as soon as it came out. But out of all of the books that I've read so far this year, this is the one that I've had the hardest time getting into. I enjoyed it, once I got past a certain point, and I loved how the relationships carried on from the first book, but it was a little hard to get into.   



Butter ~ A Book That Has A Rich Plot
I could not think of a book with a thicker plot than this one. This is a book that will manipulate your emotions to death. The Light Between Oceans tests your morals by posing the question: After suffering the heartbreak of three miscarriages, if a baby, seemingly an orphan, shows up in a boat, do you give them up, or lie to the world, and keep the child? It's a measure of how, when confronted with a matter of the heart, nothing is ever black and white. I love this book so much that I can't believe I haven't watched the film yet. But I will. Soon.



Eggs ~ A Book You Thought Would Be Sad But Turned Out To Be Enjoyable
When I read the premise of this book, I thought it was going to be sad. The Start of Me and You is about Paige, whose boyfriend died a year ago in a swimming pool. So this is the start of Paige finally taking the step and learning to find the joy in life, without her loved one. It does start off a bit sad, but overall this is a hopeful book about moving on after losing someone close to you. I really want to pick up more of Emery Lord's work soon.




Sugar ~ A Very Sweet Book
Well... this one wasn't very hard! Some of the scenes are still fresh in my mind, because only I finished this in the last couple days of February! I've read some incredibly sweet books in my track record, but at the moment, this one really takes the cake! Ha...ha. Not only is it an LGBT romance set in New York, but one of the main characters really wants that happy ending, (and he loves musicals- honestly I was glad to read this, not just for the references, like I would have read this just for those, but this book was so much more than that.) All in all, if someone was to ask me to recommend a cute/sweet book, it would definitely be this one that I reach for. Highly recommend picking this, even if you're not a fan of musicals.


Chocolate Filling ~ A Character With Hidden Layers
Legend is such a conflicting character. You never know what the heck he's going to do next. For the majority of the trilogy, he'll be acting one way with Tella, and then he'll be completely different when dealing with the rest of the public in Caraval. He can be incredibly creepy and mysterious, ruthless, but also very gentle and loving. Read the final novel at the end of last year and loved it. Solid conclusion.

Baking Time ~ A Book With A Slow-Burn Romance
Okay, I have gone all the way back to the books that I read in 2018, and I still cannot find a book that has a slow burn romance. So, I'm going to skip one.
This clearly means that I need to read more books that contain a slow burn romance. So let me know in the comments if there's any books that you want me to read!

Icing ~ A Book That Covers Every Element You Enjoy In A Book
There aren't a lot of elements/tropes that I specifically like to see in books, there's only three:
 -Books about siblings and families
-Romance that isn't main focus
-Character arcs (I like the characters to not be one dimensional, or to have changed from the start of the book to the end) 

The first book that sprung to mind when I thought of these tropes was I'll Give You the Sun, by Jandy Nelson. Again, I need to read more books about siblings, because I read this a very long time ago.


Sprinkles ~ A Book You Can Turn To For A Pick-Me-Up
Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell. A wonderful book about writing, about finding yourself as an individual. There are issues that are discussed in this book, but it's one that I can always pick up and find the love of reading again, if I'm in danger of slumping. This was the first Rainbow Rowell book I read, and even though I loved Eleanor and Park and Carry On, Fangirl is by far my favourite. Anybody who loves contemporary YA has read it, and it's wonderful that we all love it as much as each-other.


Cherry On Top ~ Your Favourite Book Of The Year So Far
Having already read some really good books this year, this is a tough one. But I'm going to have to go with The Light Between Oceans, by M.L Stedman. It's messed with my emotions more than any book I've read so far this year, and it was also so unexpected because I don't usually pick up historical fiction. It might actually have changed my reading tastes just a bit as half of my physical TBR currently consists of two historical fiction/ fictional novels, and that has never happens before. I read The Light Between Oceans just over a month ago and I still don't go a couple of days without thinking of how much I loved it and how it challenged my morals.


Okay! That was the Book Cake Tag! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you want to do it:

Consider yourself tagged.

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I'll see you all... soon!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx





2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome! I found the questions really interesting, I hope you enjoy doing it!

      Delete