Tuesday 8 December 2020

Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle #2), by Jay Kristoff

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And today I'm writing my Godsgrave review because I'm dedicated to posting a review for all of these books (cos it's a trilogy.) 

There isn't anything else I want to say apart from, enjoy! 


Title: Godsgrave 
Author: Jay Kristoff 
Genre: Adult fantasy 
Status: Book 2/3 in "The Nevernight Chronicle" trilogy
Pages: 455
Blurb: "Mia Corvere, destroyer of empires, has found her
place among the Blades of Our Lady of Blessed
Murder, but many in the Red Church ministry 
do not believe she has earned it. 

Her position is precarious, but when 
it is announced that Consul Scaeva 
and Cadinal Duomo will be 
making a rare public appearance at the 
conclusion of the grand games in Godsgrave, 
Mia defies the Church and sells herself 
into slavery for a chance to fulfil 
the promise she made on the day 
she lost everything. 

As conspiracies unfold upon the sands
of the arena, secrets are revealed and 
the body count begins to rise within 
the collegium walls. Mia will be forced 
to choose between her loyalties and revenge." 

My Thoughts 
Wow! 
Just, wow! I've got so many emotions that I could draw from this, that I'm genuinely at a loss for words about what to say. 
Godsgrave was... a struggle to say the least. Not in the way that I didn't want to pick it up (there was a little bit of that at the start, same as Nevernight, but less so), but in the struggle that Mia went through in this book. Whatever the stakes were in the first book, they were tripled in book 2. I was invested throughout. 

You got to see more of the world in Godsgrave. In book 1 most of the book was centred around the Red Church, and although I liked watching Mia rise through the challenges that the school presented in her goal to survive the school, you saw a whole new world in this one, complete with a whole new set of plotlines and characters with it. 

And oh my goodness, did I grow to love these amazing new characters. Strangers at first, thrown together to fight for a common goal, but as they start to bond, you see them as more than just strangers, as they learn to fight as a team. But they weren't just caring people that I clung to with my heart and soul, they had an amazing set of skills! Every time they took to the stage, the challenges they faced, they kicked ass! And although you were fearing for their lives each and every time, I was also in awe at some of the events I witnessed!

Aside from that, there was some romance! I genuinely wasn't expecting this, because the relationship that was carved out in book 2, they despised each-other at the end of Nevernight. But similarly to book 1, the romance and the sexual tension wasn't the main focus of the book. I don't mind smut, but not when there's nothing else, and I'm happy to say that it was a back-burner.  

Also, Mia changed a lot in this middle book. She went from a would-be assassin that isn't willing to kill an innocent, to a person that might kill her own friends/ teammates to get what it is she wants. The protagonist we see in Nevernight isn't in the same stratosphere as the protagonist we see by the end of Godsgrave

Throughout this book I was clutching my side to stop from laughing. The constant banter with the characters, from two in particular (which I won't disclose) but they gave a lot of comedic relief in the highest intensity moments, and I was living for it. 

All in all, I gelled with this book a lot better than Nevernight, for some unknown reason. It might be that there were so many new characters, new plot points to keep track of, I wasn't bored at all because each and every chapter compelled me to continue. 
I don't know if I'm alone in this opinion or not, but if you're like me, and didn't gel too much with the first book, you never know, you might like it more! 

But anyway, that's all I have for today! I hope you enjoyed it, and feel free to comment below! 
I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you soon! 
Byeeee! 

-Abi 


No comments:

Post a Comment