Friday 24 June 2022

The Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag

 Hey guys, this is Abi here, 

And I'm back with my first official post, and what better way to kick things off than with the Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag? 

I look forward to this particular tag every year and this one was no different. 

I hope you enjoy it. 


~Best Book You've Read So Far~

Honestly, I don't have a favourite at this point. I have a few that are on my list for favourite books for the year. This is the list so far: 

1. You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, by Rachel Lynn Soloman 

2. Girls of Fate and Fury (Girls of Paper and Fire #3), by Natasha Ngan 

3. The Good Thieves, by Katherine Rundell 

4. The Exact Opposite of Okay duology, by Laura Steven 


~Best sequel you’ve read so far~

Last book in the series, but still counts as a sequel.  I read this whole series straight through, and it was exactly what I needed to because the impact was so much more (you know, when things happened). Such an explosive ending to a wonderful series! Awesome characters, unpredictable plot twists, horrific deaths (of characrers that have become very near and dear to me) but ultimate success! Wonderful series, totally underrated. Highly recommend. 

~New release you haven’t read yet, but want to~

The No-Show, by Beth O' Leary! A ton of wedding chaos in a book! I have a few weddings that I'm attending this year and I know I'm going to need something as a sort of pick me up when in down (after they're over). So I will definitely be reading this after my next one (in July). 

~Most anticipated release for the rest of the year~

At this point, there aren't a lot of anticipated releases I'm looking out for because I haven't done any research regarding anticipated releases yet. But one that I've got my eye on is Carrie Soto Is Back, by Taylor Jenkins-Reid. I have only read one of her books, but I can say that I will be making a solid effort to catch up on the rest of her books, as well as this. 

In a nutshell, this is about a last ditch attempt for Carrie Soto to reclaim her tennis record, once and for, even seven years after she retired from tennis for good. I've read literally no tennis books and I am desperately on the lookout for intense books that incorporate sports because of how rare they are. Release date is end of august. 

~Biggest disappointment~

I was expecting to love this just as much as everyone else. Goodreads Choice Awards nominee, everyone was reading and adoring this book. Honestly, I was ready to fly through this in 3 days or so, which is why I chose to read this in January. 

It took me nearly half the month to get through this. When I picked it up, I was unable to get through 20 pages at a time. I just couldn't keep it up for longer than a few minutes. This one just didn't gel well. 

~Biggest surprise~

Honestly, every book that I thought I would love, I have. No surprises as of yet, but who knows about the rest of the year? We're only halfway yet. 


~Favourite new author (debut or new to you)~

RACHEL LYNN SOLOMAN. 

Author of You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone, which I have a review for just here. Story about twin girls being tested for Huntington's disease. Incredibly hard hitting, so addictive, I genuinely didn't have a favourite twin to read, which is why I flew through it so quickly. 

Will definitely be reading more of her work in the future. 


~Newest fictional crush~

I genuinely don't have a new one. Every year? That's unrealistic. Pass. 


~Newest favourite character~

Vita, from The Good Thieves- such a courageous and determined character, who will stop at nothing to make sure that the man that scammed her grandfather into losing his house, gets what's coming to him. A wonderful example of, if you put your mind to something, if you want it bad enough, you can achieve it- even if the odds are stacked against you. 


~Book that made you cry~

The only book that has made me come close to crying this year has been Still Alice, by Lisa Genova. About a Harvard professor who is diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, this was such a sad book to read. Reading about the downfall of such a brilliant mind is enough of a reminder that it can occur to anybody. I still haven't seen the film yet but I plan to in the immediate future. 

~Book that made you happy~

I'm going with a duology for this. These books are just so unique, so inspiring, and not once do they sugarcoat the issues that are discussed in this duology. I'm so glad I was able to get to these this year, cos they've been on my "Want to read shelf" for far too long. 

Even though these came out several years ago, they are still relevant today. They're the rawest, most sensitively written stories I've read this year and will probably be for the second half too. Highly recommend if you haven't read these. 

~The most beautiful book you’ve bought so far (or received)~

This year has probably got to be All Boys Aren't Blue, by George M. Johnson, both cover wise and story wise. The story is beautiful, about a young boy, growing up both queer and black, finding his place in society, and who he is. Wonderful memoir that everyone should read. Cover is the best one so far too. 

~What books do you need to read by the end of the year?~

Well, I would like to finish the Skulduggery Pleasant series by the end of the year. I've taken a short break to reinburse some motivation to read (hey, there's a time gap of about five years between parts 1 & 2 so I figured I was due a break) but that break has been longer than expected. Honestly I think it's because the first book & 1/2 are a bit of a slow start! 

 But those are a definite for the next couple of months. 


Aren't the covers gorgeous?


~Favourite book to movie adaptation you’ve seen this year~

It's not a book to movie adaptation that I'm picking this year, but this book was adapted into a tv show, and just like the rest of the world, I've fallen head over heels for it. 

It's Heartstopper, you guys. It's such a sweet, lovable, wonderful tv show that I couldn't not choose this. 

Eagerly anticipating the release of season two (and the final graphic novel to come out next year). 




Okay! That was the Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag for the year 2022! 

Anyone is free to do this if they so please, but let me know in the comments if you do! 

That is everything that I have for you all today, so I hope you have a wonderful day and I'll see you all soon! 
Byeeeeee! 

-Abi xxxxx


It

No comments:

Post a Comment